extra skin and stretch marks

Options
My friend and I have been talking recently and we're both trying to lose weight and are curious about the experience people have with loose skin and stretch marks after they lose weight.
Do stretch marks really for the most part fade if you use Aloe or Shea butter and drink a lot of water?
Is there a big problem with extra loose skin or can that also be greatly reduced by the same methods?
I am trying to lose 60 pounds in 7 months and my friend really only wants to lose about 30

Replies

• Shutterpillar
    Shutterpillar Posts: 208
    Options
    my extra skin has always stayed around no matter how much I weigh. I've tried cocobutter lotions, stretch mark faders, etc etc. I have just given up and look at them as battle scars. My kids gave them to me, and my kids are the most important thing in my life. Its a reminder of what I went through to get where I am today. :)
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I've noticed a lot more stretchmarks. I drink a lot of water and apply lotion twice a day. It's better to start taking care of them now before they really start showing up.
  • carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    my extra skin has always stayed around no matter how much I weigh. I've tried cocobutter lotions, stretch mark faders, etc etc. I have just given up and look at them as battle scars. My kids gave them to me, and my kids are the most important thing in my life. Its a reminder of what I went through to get where I am today. :)

I agree! I feel the same way about my stretch marks too! They are my "badge of courage" for having 3 beautiful kids!
  • xoArielleMarieox
    Options
    My stretch marks have gotten a lot LIGHTER, they used to be red, now theyre white, but they'll never go away. As far as loose skin I havent lost enough weight yet to see if it'll stick around but im sure it will. My girlfriend is TINY. 5'3, 115 pounds a little thing, I would have never guessed she had any loose skin or stretch marks. She showed me her belly when we were drunk and she still has all her stretch marks and her belly is still loose (you can tell she had a baby) With her clothes on youd never know.
    Oh well. Its a bummer ;(
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The stretch marks may fade but the skin just gets all saggy :(. It's unfortunate. I think medicare should pay for tummy tucks.
  • krizzer91
    krizzer91 Posts: 4
    Options
    My friend and I have gained and lost weight several times. We both have them, Some people say eventually your skin will settle to a certain weight if you are there long enough and the loose skin and stretch marks will fade dramatically. It just worries me because we are both 19. Neither of use are extremely large or anything but we're young and it upsets me to think after doing all of this hard work I am going to have saggy skin and horrible stretch marks
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The stretch marks may fade but the skin just gets all saggy :(. It's unfortunate. I think medicare should pay for tummy tucks.

I agree!!!! They pay for apron surgery sometimes. Maybe we could just call it that and try to get it that way! I hate my loose tummy. Its AWFUL!
  • shalynna89
    shalynna89 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My strech marks have faded-some. I use St. Ives skin firming lotion- walmart has it for around $3.50!! I'm not at a point where I've noticed loose skin yet, I had my son a year ago and my body is so different that I don't know what to really expect or what maybe loose skin and whats just flab. But using lotions and drinking plenty of water and if you lose at the 2 pounds or less a week rate you'll most likely have the best results. Also depending on your age and the length you've had the weight on can be factors. The younger you are the more elasticity your skin has so it will shrink better, and if the weight hasn't been on for to long it will also help where as after awhile your skin gets use to being streched and thus causing the loose skin. Hope this helps, and good luck on your weight loss.
  • Fidgetferguson
    Fidgetferguson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack a post...but.....SERIOUSLY! You think the government should use our tax money to pay for cosmetic surgery? When there are so many people that don't even have access to basic healthcare services, enough food, clothing, a decent place to live? That is the most selfish ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

In response to the original post, my understanding is that for the most part the extra skin stays, though it can vary depending on just how much there is and age (when you're younger your skin has more elasticity and can stretch/shrink back a little easier). This is based on things I've read however, not personal experience. My stretch marks from kids have faded significantly but they are still there. Actually they look their worst when I have a tan, because they are pretty much white at this point.
  • krizzer91
    krizzer91 Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks, yeah I was thinking of getting a tan and thought about what the stretch marks would look like since they are much thinner than the skin around them
  • gympamela
    Options
    I stopped thinking that a tummy tuck is cosmetic the third or fourth time I ripped my skin on my stomach open with my zipper. It can be a problem. You must not have one.
  • gympamela
    Options
    Thanks, yeah I was thinking of getting a tan and thought about what the stretch marks would look like since they are much thinner than the skin around them

Actually they lighten even more when you tan, to like a silvery tone.
  • Fidgetferguson
    Fidgetferguson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I stopped thinking that a tummy tuck is cosmetic the third or fourth time I ripped my skin on my stomach open with my zipper. It can be a problem. You must not have one.

I'm sure it is uncomfortable, inconvenient, in the way, and a general pain in the *kitten*. But it's not a real health problem. It's not going to kill you. And it's totally absurd to expect me or anyone else to pay for it for you. I have actually caught my stomach in a zipper before. I also have bad acne and a chipped tooth. But none of that is anyone else's problem. I don't begrudge anyone the right to have a something physical about themselves "fixed" if it makes them feel better. But I'm not gonna pay for it. Especially not when there are so many people out there with real issues, and not enough money in the pot to take care of them as it is.
  • Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Stretch marks fade from red to white but they never go away. When I lost a lot of weight once before My saggy tummy did shrink but not completely. I've had kids and I need a tummy tuck, what can you do?
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Just found this: http://www.allhairlosstreatments.com/blog/loose-skin/

And stretch marks will never ever go away but they will fade and they may shrink a little.

Also for the one argueing, from that site above: "Also, if an individual does not get rid of the excess skin, rashes and sores may develop on the skin" There's your health problem.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack a post...but.....SERIOUSLY! You think the government should use our tax money to pay for cosmetic surgery? When there are so many people that don't even have access to basic healthcare services, enough food, clothing, a decent place to live? That is the most selfish ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

Um, it was a joke.
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • Leopardliz
    Leopardliz Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Lol omg ppl it was a joke and take it as it is. Geez we're not going to propose that its in the next voting ballot so y get ur panties in a bunch. Ayayay! My stretchmarks are super light and u can bearly see them. I only lost 45lbs so far so loose skin sucks but i havent done hardcore weights to tighten so who knows. I found that tanning makes it worse cause everything tans except for the marks. I look like a tanned road map!!!!
  • gympamela
    Options
    LOL I tell my bf that if we ever get lost we can find our way home by the map on my stomach LMAO!!!
  • krlaws2
    krlaws2 Posts: 47
    Options

I agree with this statement. My stretch marks have gotten lighter and aren't as prominent now that my stomach is getting smaller, but they are there and are to such a degree that I know I'll never be without them. I got them with my 2nd baby who is also my VBAC baby and my VBAC is a large part of what motivates me to get in shape and lose some weight - so seeing them when I'm working out in a strange way inspires me.