Tilapia...wahhhhh

Options
So I just had my first foray into baking fish (aside from shrimp, which I do fairly often)

I put the tilapia in a foil pouch with some non-stick spray, two minced cloves of garlic and two slices of lemon.

It was okayyyyyyy. Was not delicious and was sort of fishy. I know I'm eating fish- is it the nature of tilapia to be extra fishy?

How can i make this not taste as boring? :(

Any other fish cooking suggestions? I'm all ears! Thank you

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i like to bake tilapia with diced tomatoes, green pepper, red onion, and black olives on the top. you can add a drizzle of olive oil if you like and salt & pepper. yummy!
  • ♥♥YoungMrs♥♥
    Options
    lemon pepper seasoning does wonders..kind of high in sodium though :(
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    lemon pepper seasoning does wonders..kind of high in sodium though :(

I ended up throwing extra salt on this bad boy anyway just to make it palatable. haha
  • kennysrush
    kennysrush Posts: 124
    Options
    I've been grilling Tilapia lately and it hasn't been fishing. Sometimes it's the luck of the draw...

Mrs Dash Garlic and Herb seasons, with lemon juice and a touch of cayenne pepper. Make over the grill on tinfoil until flaky. YUM!
  • jerseygirl08
    jerseygirl08 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I also like to bake tilapia with some evoo, lemon juice and garlic and then top it with sauteed spinach with melted feta cheese.

Another sauce that I like over tilapia is honey, cilantro with lemon juice and garlic
  • chubswonky
    Options
    i like to bake tilapia with diced tomatoes, green pepper, red onion, and black olives on the top. you can add a drizzle of olive oil if you like and salt & pepper. yummy!

YUM! I bet green olives would be great, too!
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I use that I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray and spray the fillets,squirt them with lemon and lime juice, then coat them with italian seasoned breadcrumbs and squirt some more lime and lemon juice over them before I bake them. My family seems to like it and it's pretty healthy. I suppose you could also use eggwhites to coat them before putting them in the breadcrumbs.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Minced garlic and lemon juice!
  • kuarta
    kuarta Posts: 65
    Options
    I love grilled tilapia! Never found it fishy. Maybe the one you bought wasn't fresh? If you cook it in foil, try using chopped up onions and tomatoes. The flavour just goes through the fish - delicious!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Tilapia can sometimes taste really strong -- depends on where they raised them and what they fed them. We've been using Swai lately, from the Walmart frozen seafood section. generic white fish with a mild flavor. Good stuff.
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    The only way I eat my fish is tilapia mixed with white rice, and steamed broccoli all mixed together with a little bit of light ranch and louisiana hot sauce, I know it sounds a little nasty, but trust me, the taste is excellent....and fills you up pretty good--- in fact thats what my dinner is for today :)
  • chubswonky
    Options
    I love grilled tilapia! Never found it fishy. Maybe the one you bought wasn't fresh? If you cook it in foil, try using chopped up onions and tomatoes. The flavour just goes through the fish - delicious!

They were flash frozen! Hmm... Maybe it was just a fishy one in the bunch :)
  • Happy_endings
    Options
    Ken's steakhouse no sodium lemon pepper marinade for chicken is delicious probably good with fish too!!
  • gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Tilapia makes beautiful fish tacos!
    I also like to cook it with dill and lemon with some garlic salt. The dill kicks butt on tilapia!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Lime juice, a spoon full of Salsa, and a sprinkle of shredded Mexican blend cheese. Yum. (Also good with chicken.)
  • chubswonky
    Options
    Tilapia makes beautiful fish tacos!
    I also like to cook it with dill and lemon with some garlic salt. The dill kicks butt on tilapia!!

OOOH! Love love love fish tacos/quesadillas! I actually made whole wheat pasta tonight but most nights I eat something taco related lol
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I usually will pan fry it with non-stick Pam, a little lemon pepper maybe add some cayenne.. cook it on one side about 5 min then the other.. till it's all nice and white and flaky... I usually don't get much of a fishy flavor this way.. I will also cook it a bit longer to get the crunchy edges.. they give it a bit of a chard flavor sometimes! Delicious! Hope you find something that works.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    A sprinkle of Dill is good as well :)
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I LOVE tilapia! Soy sauce, fresh squeezed lime juice and some fresh pepper.....or any of the mccormick grill mates seasonings....just put some on and bake it in the oven!

Here is a good one from Tosca Reno...its called Keep it tight tilapia....its really flavorful and healthy:

http://www.eatcleandiet.com/food_and_recipes/clean_recipe/tosca’s_keep-it-tight_tilapia.aspx
  • 3aBadkids
    3aBadkids Posts: 78
    Options
    try it fresh lime juice and cilantro...YUMMMMMY!!!