Holy! 1,390 calories a day. I'm hungry

LizBelle2015
LizBelle2015 Posts: 60 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I weighed 195 Oct of last year and am at 168 now. I haven't lost or gained in some time so I know it's time to count calories again. I want to be 130 pounds. I want to lose 1 pound a week meaning I can eat 1,390 calories. My diet is mainly proteins and good fats but MAN AM I HUNGRY! I have a sedentary lifestyle due to a disability but I've still lost weight eating right. What do you do when your hungry so you don't go over your calorie limit?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    The oils do not have to be "good" as long as you are getting oil/fat.
    To add foods that are low in calories, consider more leafy vegetables, snow peas, cucumbers, asparagus, green beans, bell peppers, mushrooms, and such. :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Fiber, fats, and protein! And time. And lots of water.

Take your time eating, chew thoroughly and eat slowly. Learn to tune into hunger signals.

If you truly can't be satisfied eating at this calorie level, it's okay to slow your loss down to .5 pounds a week.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Recently I've set a goal of having three large servings of veggies a day. This is based on something I was watching on "Eat to Live" a recommendation to have 1 soup with veggies, beans, and mushrooms, 1 big salad with onion, and 1 plate of steamed veggies every day. That will add a ton of volume and nutrients to your day, even if you start with just one of those.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    I weighed 195 Oct of last year and am at 168 now. I haven't lost or gained in some time so I know it's time to count calories again. I want to be 130 pounds. I want to lose 1 pound a week meaning I can eat 1,390 calories. My diet is mainly proteins and good fats but MAN AM I HUNGRY! I have a sedentary lifestyle due to a disability but I've still lost weight eating right. What do you do when your hungry so you don't go over your calorie limit?
    rk3qyhvo15wf.jpg

Totals 1,264 for the day and I am quite satisfied and full.

I am fortunate I can work out, but I would think with very little movement, you could still shed pounds. I am for sure and may even start upping my calories because I walk (brisk) 2 hours + a day. Hope it helps with ideas. You'll get there and this site is great with tips and inspiration!

• uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    uvi5 wrote: »
    rk3qyhvo15wf.jpg

Totals 1,264 for the day and I am quite satisfied and full.

I am fortunate I can work out, but I would think with very little movement, you could still shed pounds. I am for sure and may even start upping my calories because I walk (brisk) 2 hours + a day. Hope it helps with ideas. You'll get there and this site is great with tips and inspiration!

I eat the fruit separate, make the turkey patty, green beans with garlic powder/chili flakes/ Parmesan, raw mushrooms w/dressing/chili flakes and Parmesan:) I may have to split up into a meal and a snack for later, because it can be quite large of a serving.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Change your goal to half a pound so you can eat more? More fat and protein?
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Protein, water, water, water.

A typical day:

Cottage cheese (113 grams): breakfast
    Snack: Laughing Cow Creamy Swiss Light wedge + 2 Finn Crisps
    Lunch: some sort of protein on a 100 calorie bun, 1 serving of pretzels
    Dinner: something between 400-500 calories
  • LizBelle2015
    I know you've been on meds that deadened your appetite previously. Did you stop taking them? What changed? How long have you been this hungry?

I was eating about 1,700 calories a day for about 1.5 months. Before, around 1575. I just started 1,390 3 days ago, so I realize I have to get used to the hunger. I still take the meds. They help. I'm lactose and glucose intolerant so my diet is very basic and repetitive. I'll just incorporate 1 tablespoon of coconut oil when I feel really hungry. Thanks for reaching out.
  • When hunger strikes for me there is one thing that never fails and it's high volume/low calorie foods. I will literally eat an entire bag of salad with dinner-or before bed-or anytime and I feel so incredibly full. For 45-60 calories!! Walden Farms has ZERO calorie dressing and I mix that with apple cider vinegar (also very good for weight loss) and throw on it. I will also add 2 whole cups of broccoli/cauliflower to my eggs-the volume really fills you up for minimal calories.

Another trick is fresh lemon and a pinch of cayenne pepper in your water. Hot spices are appetite suppressants (another reason why I put hot sauce on everything).
  • I'm on the same calories, add me and check out my diary for ideas if you like
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Earn more through exercise. Eat more protein and fats as they help keep you sated longer.
  • LizBelle2015
    Thank you so much for all of your replies and diary entries. I am lactose and glucose intolerant so my diet is protein from meats, fiber from fruits and veggies, some condiments for flavor, and my chest is a daily diet coke. I've lost 25 pounds since Oct 1 without exercise. I went on Atkins before and lost 55 pounds same thing. So maybe this is the induction phase. I guess I will get used to the hunger (it's only been 3 days on a 1,390 calorie diet), and if I can't handle it, add a tablespoon of coconut oil when I'm really hungry or low fat meat and veggies. Thanks again!!!!!
  • LizBelle2015
    Cheat not chest! Lol!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member

Good Lord, why did this get flagged?

Can you up your weight loss calorie goals to lose maybe a half pound a week? That way you will get more calories and not feel as hungry. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Can you up your weight loss calorie goals to lose maybe a half pound a week? That way you will get more calories and not feel as hungry. :)

people assuming low calorie dieting? idk.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    A lo-cal smoothie can be made with greens, protein powder and a bit of cocoa powder and some stevia.
    Honestly I hardly have cravings at all since I've upped my veggie intake...I'm aiming for 1lb of non-starchy veggies a day. Stir fry, soup, salad and in smoothies is how I'm getting them in, breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Manny1013
    Manny1013 Posts: 4 Member

Your eventually going to get adjusted to it and it'll be ok. Trust me I'm in sort of the same boat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »

people assuming low calorie dieting? idk.

Could be, I don't know either.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member

I was eating about 1,700 calories a day for about 1.5 months. Before, around 1575. I just started 1,390 3 days ago, so I realize I have to get used to the hunger. I still take the meds. They help. I'm lactose and glucose intolerant so my diet is very basic and repetitive. I'll just incorporate 1 tablespoon of coconut oil when I feel really hungry. Thanks for reaching out.

Hi - I've been completely gluten-free and 99% dairy (I do have a small amount of a hard cheese or butter once in a while) free, egg-free, almond-free, garlic-free and a few other completely free for over 20 years and I would not describe my diet as bland - at all! The things I don't eat are because they make me sick. I was vegetarian and vegan by choice for a number of years but no longer. I have meat sometimes now. I cook between 1 - 3 dinners a week including some meat because the kids like it but we don't eat much meat at home. I'll read through the rest of this thread and then try to post a few ideas before I head to bed. There are some tastey options available - it depends on what you like and how much time you have to cook - but there are good foods that you can eat and relish and still lose weight. : )
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    A Keto diet has been shown to help people with many types of insulin resistance as it's low in sugars but high in satisfying proteins and fat, and full of nutrient dense, low calorie and high volume veggies. Maybe look into something similar?