My name is PCOS

Options
I found out on Tuesday my long time problem of blood count being low, weight gain, weakness, and heavy periods is something called PCOS. Which is cysts on my ovaries. I call her Martha. She causes my body to release more insulin then I need, I get tired easily and cant lose weight like normal people, Im not the kind of person that gives up when a problem comes. I become impowered you might say.
So with Martha working aginst me I need support. The good news is I lost 2 pounds this week. The bad news is I don't now what im working with here. I looked up on the internet what it is and I got horrified. so I need to work my hardest to kill Martha.

So if you have pcos please add me as a friend or messege me. it kinda feels lonely when no one else understands. #killmartha

Replies

• jamie1025pisces
    Options
    Me too.
  • dab52776
    dab52776 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I call my pcos "the devil"..... Anyone can feel free to add me. We need to be in this fight together!
  • missyp95
    missyp95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are many of us out here with our own version of "Martha". PCOS comes with lots if complications. The more you learn about her the more you will understand why things happen the way they do. I am 45 and have known since I was in my early 20's that something was not working right. The beast advice I can give you is listen to your body and by all means, try your very best to do what the doctors tell you. Losing weight will curb your symptoms and help you to feel tons better. Martha will not be such a presence in your life if YOU take control of HER. You can do this and there are many of us here to listen, guide you and cheer you on. :-) We definitely need to be in this fight together.
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you on this. 41 years old and have been fighting Martha for some time now.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,155 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

Also, there's a non MFP group http://www.soulcysters.net/ that I found very helpful.
  • gardeningal
    gardeningal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was just trying to find out if there was a PCOS group on MFP. I'm 55 and didn't know what was going on with my body until the computer came into our lives! Unfortunately I was post menopausal by then. But that doesn't mean I can't get help with the issues those of us in the senior set who have this problem must face.

Thanks for posting, newcomer9, and thank kar328 for your response. I hope to run into both of you again at soulcysters.
  • cupcakewars1983
    Options
    PCOS sufferer here too, there's a few different varieties of PCOS and unfortunately I have the insulin resistant type. I've been lucky enough to have had regular periods however unlucky enough to have hair loss, acne and find weight loss an absolute struggle. I would love to have some other ladies who are going through the same issues on my friends list. I'm finding it increasingly difficult to stay motivated when I have this huge thing in my way.

<3 Cupcake x
  • mhulgan
    mhulgan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I also have insulin resistant PCOS, and you are welcome to add me! I have to work hard just to maintain, even though I'd like to lose another 15 lbs. I started out at 205, and I'm now around 177. Metformin, cutting sugar, and exercising hard 5 days a week has helped, but it is still a struggle. The one positive thing is that my diagnosis three years ago is what I needed to actually adopt healthy habits. It was the kick in the butt I needed!

Oh, and the internet is crazy when it comes to PCOS, since it looks different in so many people. I hope you have a good doctor/endocrinologist that you can go to with questions.

Great job with your 2 lb loss! You're off to a great start :smile:
  • jenndesjarlais
    jenndesjarlais Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I found out two years ago that I have PCOS. I needed clomid to get pregnant with my daughter. I'm really hoping I can do it naturally as well. I am "lucky" enough to have regular periods - however I do not ovulate. However I do have many other symptoms that are not fun. I carry all my weight in my belly too. It's not fun. Feel free to add me!
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Me, too insulin resistant PCOS...You can't kill Martha unfortunately, but she can be lived with and you can lose weight...I'm down 65 pounds from starting weight a little over a year ago and now in a healthy weight range. You're off to a good start, so keep it consistent and good luck.
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as do all the women in my family. There's certainly a lot of information out there (I think from memory, with the interplay between pcos, thyroid issues and diabetes, many may respond well to a lower carb/higher fat ratio).

However one thing that I'd encourage is to not focus on the messaging that PCOS will make life and weight management hard. While it is certainly true, the relationship between health/weight/pcos is two way. I'd encourage you to instead focus on what you can control, that is your diet and exercise. By improving these and the conditions of your body, you may have a positive influence on your symptoms. This was the single best piece of advice I got from my doctor - 'focus on creating the best environment for managing your condition as you can. Then, when and if we need medical intervention, we're starting from the best possible start.'

I have PCOS and I am two weeks out from my first bodybuilding competition. I have managed to drop a significant amount of fat while still being well fed and with a healthy diet. It's not easy but nothing good ever is.
  • Caitoriri
    Caitoriri Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have it too, was diagnosed when I was 15 years old, after I started getting nausea and ended up puking every time I ate. I immediately started cutting down on starches and things with a high GI (so, white rice, anything with white flour, potatoes) and it helped with a lot of my symptoms.

I finally decided to start doing something about the weight gain part when I was 22. I've found that as long as I'm in a calorie deficit, especially if I'm eating clean, the weight comes off normally.
    I was about 180lbs at my highest weight, currently at about 141lbs. I didn't want to use drugs or medical treatments of any kind to fight it, and I never have. Fortunately, for me, good food and exercise have been enough.