How do you tackle PMS cravings?

Options
ladyglamazon
ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
edited April 2015 in Motivation and Support
Ladies, how do you manage PMS cravings for salt or sweets when you are watching your caloric intake? I have no issues with eating clean for most of the month, but it is a real struggle for a few days. Any ideas how to work around this?

Replies

• jgc4444
    jgc4444 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Been trying to figure this one out myself :/ any ideas right about now would be great! Lol
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Lol, i was just posting to say I wish i knew too :p
  • futuremommyt
    futuremommyt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    to satisfy a sweet craving, i'll get a dunkin donuts sm hot cocoa without whipped cream. it's almost cloyingly sweet, which i love, and satisfies my chocolate craving, plus the warmth of it is satisfying. all in all, i perfect sweet solution for me. or a fiber one brownie microwaved a bit to be warm.

as to salty, if i'm being very very good, i'll make kale chips with lots of salt. or buffalo cauliflower. or a few triscuits with cheese and giardeniera.
  • Nyappykim
    Nyappykim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I always keep a box of Fiber One 90-cal Fudge Brownies and Special K Sour Cream and Onion Cracker Chips (120 cal for 25 chips!) in my pantry. Whenever I get cravings, whether I'm PMSing or not, I grab a serving and it really helps. (:
  • xxConnie16
    xxConnie16 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    90 calorie fiber brownies are definitely a good suggestion! Also, you should check out the Protein Chef on YouTube. He has a lot of great recipes! Honestly, all last week I snacked during PMS. I just made sure I ate small meals so I had the extra calories to munch on. :)
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Rum or red wine and dark chocolate.
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I give in to it, just in moderation. Let me explain. If I want a donut I get one instead of the 2 or 3 or more that I would scarf down on. If I want something greasy, I order the kiddie plate instead of the adult one. (some of those kiddie sizes are more than enough for adults if you ask me.)

I realize that it is easier to give in instead of denying or trying to switch it with something else. The reason why I say this is because, lets say I am in the mood for donuts and I have something like a Fiber One 90 Calorie brownie, during the month this works, during that 'time of month' the only thing that happens is I end up having the brownie or two, and STILL end up at DD for a donut, which means I wasted 90+ calories eating the brownie, when 1 donut would have satisfied my craving.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Dove dark chocolate minis. One or two usually solve the problem for my sweet tooth and natural popcorn for salty. Popcorn is super low in calories if you don't get the really buttery kind!

Anyone else see a major problem on the scale during this time though? Last month I stayed within my calorie goals for the most part and during that time the scale said I was up 3lbs! The scale went to where I started the next week but didn't go down any further even with a deficit. Super frustrating. I think this month I will just stay off the scale around then! Ugh!

I also read your body naturally ups it's TDEE about 9% about a week before your period starts - which is peak PMS time which explains the cravings too. So eat that chocolate, your body earned it. ;)
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Dove dark chocolate minis. One or two usually solve the problem for my sweet tooth and natural popcorn for salty. Popcorn is super low in calories if you don't get the really buttery kind!

Anyone else see a major problem on the scale during this time though? Last month I stayed within my calorie goals for the most part and during that time the scale said I was up 3lbs! The scale went to where I started the next week but didn't go down any further even with a deficit. Super frustrating. I think this month I will just stay off the scale around then! Ugh!

I also read your TDEE Increases about 9% during the week before your period which is peak PMS time. So eat that chocolate, your body earned it ;)
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    125 ml of Bryers all natural ice cream and 6-12 g of PB2 it's around 150-175 calories. @lindsayh87 I didn't weigh myself right before and during my period. I knew I would just be disappointed.
  • EVILSB
    EVILSB Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Salty gets me every time... I head for the jar of dill pickles in the fridge and eat as many as I want. The salt may up my water retention for a bit, but I know and am okay with it...