600% Vitamin C, 300% Vitamin A: Bad?

Options
MyFitnessPal iPhone app nutrients reading says I have exceeded my vitamin C (100%) by 500%, and my vitamin A (100%) by 200%. Is this dangerous? Am I eating too much healthy food?

Replies

• squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously not a "medical professional" but I've heard that any excess vitamin C you take in just flushes out, it's not something your body stores; so it's not a problem.

but like I said, I'm not a doctor - & I don't know about vitamin A!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Vitamin A can build up to toxic levels in your liver I think. I know you can overdose on it. Vitamin C I'm not sure on. Do some googling on it.
  • acknan
    acknan Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My mother, a Pharmacist, says that because Vitamin A isn't water soluble it can be dangerous in excess.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamina/ Check out that link about 2/3 of the way down the page for concerns. :)
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Excessive A can be toxic.
    Excessive C can cause diarrhea.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    A,D,E,&K are all fat soluable and can be stored the rest are water soluable and will flush out in urine. They still can be taken in toxic levels but you would have to take maga does of concentrated forms such as exceeding supplement recommendation a few times over. if you are taking a multi and rest coming from food you should be fine. If taking multiple multi-vitamins then might want to look up threshold when you combine them all.
  • ksafe
    ksafe Posts: 20
    Options
    What is excessive? 101%? 300%? 500%?
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Im at 390% Vitamin A today, it never gets that high except days i have a 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
  • ksafe
    ksafe Posts: 20
    Options
    I took a One-a-Day Men's, then I've snacked on carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, a fruit cup, a banana, among other stuff
  • lemonbug
    lemonbug Posts: 59
    Options
    I am also somewhat concerned about this..According to my phone I am 696% over my Vitamin C for today. I am thinking it has come from my smoothie that is loaded with Vitamin C. Is this bad?
  • drgregdc
    drgregdc Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C no big deal. Many people blast their colds with an excess of C. Usually you know when you have too much is when you run to the bathroom because you have the runs :-).

Vitamin A is more serious. It is a fat soluble vitamin which gets stored in the liver. It is not wise to overdue it too much.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I took a One-a-Day Men's, then I've snacked on carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, a fruit cup, a banana, among other stuff

Your safe. Because of the fiber in the fruits and veggies, your body won't actually be able to access all of the vitamin A.
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Depends on how the Vitamin A was obtained..via veggies/beta-carotene, or via processed means (vitamin supplements). If it was beta-carotene, don't sweat it, because the body will only extract the vitamin A it needs, and no more, from the beta-carotene. There is a lot of info on med sites regarding this issue.