Crunchy Knee

Options
Does anyone else have crunchy knees? My right knee is crunchy when I do squat type movements. There is no pain and online searches mostly say it is pretty common with nothing to worry about a long as there are no other knee problems or pain.
So I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences the same thing. Did you see a doctor? Exercises to strengthen the knee? Or just let it keep crunching.

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have a crunchy pair of knees. However, I also have damage in one of them from a car accident so I have pain along with it. I don't worry unless I feel pain though. Doctors' orders. If I feel pain, I drop.weight and don't squat as deeply.
  • slp51
    slp51 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have crunchy knees due to my age (64). It's basically bone grinding on bone because of age. Do your knees hurt when exercising? If so, check with your doctor or a trainer. Perhaps a knee brace during your workout would help?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "crunchy right knee during squats club". Occasionally is very sore but doesn't seem to be related to heavy squats or deep squats at all. Orthopedic surgeon took an MRI but didn't see anything wrong with it.
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No pain, just the crunch. I've tried a knee thing before but the crunch was still there. From what I've read so far, I'm not too worried because there's no pain. once it starts hurting I'll get checked out.
    slp51 wrote: »
    I have crunchy knees due to my age (64). It's basically bone grinding on bone because of age. Do your knees hurt when exercising? If so, check with your doctor or a trainer. Perhaps a knee brace during your workout would help?

• BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Mine are horrible sounding. Participated in a lot of high-impact athletics growing up and now have crunchy knees. Both my doctor and chiro say that if there is no pain, then no worries. I make sure I have what I need in my diet and when I take glucosamine sulfate, the crunching sounds ease a bit. If there is pain with your crunching....get a doctor's consult.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me think about eating chicken wings

:grimace:
  • gagnon9691
    gagnon9691 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check out the glucosamine sulfate. No pain for me so I'm not too worried just yet.
    Mine are horrible sounding. Participated in a lot of high-impact athletics growing up and now have crunchy knees. Both my doctor and chiro say that if there is no pain, then no worries. I make sure I have what I need in my diet and when I take glucosamine sulfate, the crunching sounds ease a bit. If there is pain with your crunching....get a doctor's consult.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Totally crunchy knees here. During squats, walking, running and everything else. :)
  • AnitaCRice
    AnitaCRice Posts: 114 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have horribly crunchy knees, especially when walking up or down stairs. Several years ago, a doctor had me get an x-ray and diagnosed me with mild arthritis. I was in my mid-to-late 20's and was told that I had the knees of a 40-year-old. She also told me to take glucosamine and stick to low-impact exercises for the most part. A few years later, when asked, another doctor told me running would be fine as long as I wasn't doing marathons.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    mine make crunch sounds until they are fully warmed up. i wear knee sleeves , for support and also warmpth
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Mine sound like Rice Krispies amplified. Glad to know I am not the only one! SonyaCele, what knee sleeves do you use and how much do they really help?
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I am in the crunchy knees club too. Stairs, squats, running etc. Mine don't hurt unless I overwork them
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am getting shots in my knee, cartlidge. Crunch is almost gone.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Even though I'm nearly 63, my knees don't crunch. Unless I get on the elliptical, which I haven't in years. Then my right knee crunches, ends up in intense paid, and I can't walk for nearly two weeks. Other than that, I'm fine!
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I subscribed to a newsletter from an organization that double checks research and dietary recommendations. Glucosamine helps but only when taken in combination with chondroiton. Otherwise, the benefits are negligible. Something in the combination makes it easier for the body to absorb the supplement so to get maximum help, it's best to find a supplement that has both. Super easy to find because the research merely resulted in a lot of companies glomming onto it and riding the wave. But it definitely helps with my knees and the occasional pain. (I have severe osteoarthritis in spite of my utterly non-athletic past. Go figure.)
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    My left shoulder crunches when I do backward windmills, it doesn't hurt but I hate how it feels.
  • leighann9981
    leighann9981 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do have crunch knees. Especially when I do squats or walk upstairs. I've been to 2 orthopedic surgeons. Both said its where the little space that the knee cap sits in is too shallow sho my knee cap kinda moves back and forth over the cartridge. It's fairly common & usually hereditary. I have got shots from time to time in them & since my right is the worst they suggested a knee brace on it during exercise. As of now they're not concerned & feel like exercise and/or physical therapy will help. But as I age and wear down the cartridge I made need some surgery. But said it should be like maybe in my 50s...I'm 33 now. We looked in to going ahead with my right knee since it swells some but would probably just have to do it again later. But it's definitely a crunchy sound. Not popping or anything.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Mine used to, but now that I think about it I haven't heard a peep from either of them for a while.
    Probably something to do with losing weight & putting less stress on them. :smiley:
    I don't do squats or heavy lifts that put lots of pressure on them, though I do the elliptical & stairs & am starting to run a little. (Wow... me, running. Never would have thought!) :sweat_smile:
    51637601.png