Fussy eater!!

Options

Replies

• makemethin05
    makemethin05 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me too :) I am a ridiculously picky eater ( as evidenced by my diary which has a very unhealthy amount of chocolate and takeaway), and so what I do is exercise a lot so I can fit in what I want to eat without going over my net calories.

Send you a request! :-)

It is hard isn't it.. Because we tend to stick to the same foods, no variety! I find it a nightmare eating at other peoples houses, because I hate to be rude, but can't physically make myself eat things I don't like. It's a vicious circle!
  • makemethin05
    Options
    I'm not a picky eater, I'm usually willing to give something several tries before I decide I don't like it. I tried to like fat free sweetened greek yogurt but I just couldn't. So what did I do? I just continued to eat my good old plain full fat greek yogurt, just less of it. You don't need to eat specific things to lose weight. Look at the things you do like, see which ones have less calories, have them more often and in larger quantities. Now look at the things you like that have high calories and either eat them less often or reduce the amount.

Don't stress yourself out. It takes time to lose weight (especially in your case since you aren't obese), and spending that time fussing and worrying is not worth it.

Thanks so much for your reply!

As you mentioned I don't have huge amounts to loose, so it's the stubborn areas that I just can't seem to shift.

What you mentioned about your yoghurt is probably the best way to go, so that you actually still enjoy the things you are eating an testing your willpower with when to stop! I've never checked calories so much on packets in my life! I didn't realise just have a bowl of cereal costs you in calories for the day! I will still eat the very few things that I do like, but in smaller portions I think..

:-)
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    You are currently a healthy weight. 28 more pounds will make you underweight. Consider maintenance or losing far less if you have a few vanity pounds. If you aren't happy with your composition, look into strength training to correct that instead of weightloss.

There are plenty of healthy plain foods. As long as you meet your nutritional needs with plain foods, there's no need to eat things you don't like. Also no problem with a little chocolate now and then. Chocolate makes life better
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    28 lbs at 5'4 would put her at the low end of healthy not unhealthy
  • makemethin05
    edited April 2015
    Options

110lbs
  • lynlen
    lynlen Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! I can relate to your story. I'm such a picky eater and I don't try to be I also have this weird thing where I don't like my foods touching lol so I don't eat a lot of food combos.
  • makemethin05
    Options
    You are currently a healthy weight. 28 more pounds will make you underweight. Consider maintenance or losing far less if you have a few vanity pounds. If you aren't happy with your composition, look into strength training to correct that instead of weightloss.

There are plenty of healthy plain foods. As long as you meet your nutritional needs with plain foods, there's no need to eat things you don't like. Also no problem with a little chocolate now and then. Chocolate makes life better

You're right there; chocolate DOES indeed make life better!

That was what I weighed before I put on the weight, but you could be right. I'll stick maybe to how I feel etc instead of focusing on the scales.

:-)
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    AmberSue09 wrote: »
    28 lbs at 5'4 would put her at the low end of healthy not unhealthy

Sorry, my bad math....I thought she was 128
  • enoughisenough9
    enoughisenough9 Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Send you a request! :-)

It is hard isn't it.. Because we tend to stick to the same foods, no variety! I find it a nightmare eating at other peoples houses, because I hate to be rude, but can't physically make myself eat things I don't like. It's a vicious circle!

Accepted :) I know, it can be difficult. I tend to not go out, or eat in secret, which has inevitably led to putting on a lot of weight!

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with plain foods. are you getting all of your macros and micros from your diet ? If not then yes you may have to expand your range some but that doesn't mean you can't choose plain foods. Just slowly try new things and add them into your mix as you find what you like.

I tend to eat plain simple meals and often times the same thing for a few weeks straight. Do what works for you.

Hi :-)

Do I sound really ignorant if I say I'm not sure what macros and micros is? I'm assuming it would be vitamins and minerals needed?.. Most likely not if I'm honest.

I will try my very best to add in things here and there that I don't like.. Scary though!

Its great that you are willing to ask when you don't understand something.

your macros are the 3 categories foods are made up of.
    1. protein
    2. fats
    3. carbs

your micros are your vitimans and minerals.

If you are using the MFP app you can view your macros in a pie chart as a percentage and your micros in list form by going to the "nutrition" button at the bottom of your page.

Note, MFP sets your macros when you sign up but you can customize them to your needs. feel free to ask if you want to learn more about dialing in your macro settings.

Besides counting calories a great thing about MFP is it help you learn not only portion sizes as a result of using a scale to weigh all of your food but importantly what foods are what macro.

It is often surprising to many people that vegetables are carbs and stuff like nuts and avacados are fats. this revelation can really change the way you think of foods and how you consume them.

MFP can be a life changing experience if you embrace it. losing pounds and getting educated for the win !
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I really understand the whole chocolate thing. This is the hardest part for me.

I found healthy choice fudge ice cream bars. 100cal and they taste good for my evening chocolate fix.

I also use gnc amplified strength chocolate protein powder. Like 95 cal a serving. Put about 8oz of cold water with 1 scoop. Tastes really good and gives me my chocolate fix.

I read on these forums a lady was adding a bit of almond milk and ice to the protein powder and freezing it to create basically ice cream. I'm going to try that when I get back home.

Trader joes also has some low cal dark chocolate bars. I forget the name. But they're kinda pricey for what they are and size wise I don't feel satisfied with just a few cubes of chocolate.
  • makemethin05
    Options
    Bugdude54 wrote: »
    I really understand the whole chocolate thing. This is the hardest part for me.

I found healthy choice fudge ice cream bars. 100cal and they taste good for my evening chocolate fix.

I also use gnc amplified strength chocolate protein powder. Like 95 cal a serving. Put about 8oz of cold water with 1 scoop. Tastes really good and gives me my chocolate fix.

I read on these forums a lady was adding a bit of almond milk and ice to the protein powder and freezing it to create basically ice cream. I'm going to try that when I get back home.

Trader joes also has some low cal dark chocolate bars. I forget the name. But they're kinda pricey for what they are and size wise I don't feel satisfied with just a few cubes of chocolate.

Hi :-)

Thank you for your reply and great suggestions.. I am from the UK so I'm thinking I will have to find the alternative brands etc. But will definitely look into it as I do need my chocolate fix every single day (especially after dinner!) it's going to be very hard for Easter Sunday tomorrow!!

I've never tried protein powder, but I really want to!

Thanks again! ☺️
  • makemethin05
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone!

After just answering an inbox message from a fellow 'fussy eater' I realised just how picky I am.. Here's what I said..

I also don't like seafood, Jello (or jelly as we call it here), oranges or mushrooms either! It might actually be a shorter list to tell you the things that I do like lol!
    Hmmm let's think.. I don't like tomatoes, pesto, avocado, bananas, pears, watermelon, peaches, cherries, pretty much all veg excluding broccoli which I can handle in small portions, any healthy cereal there is, nuts, caramel, toffee, Chinese food, pepperoni, cheese slices/dips or strings, pickled onions.. I could literally go on forever!

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    My son has a sensory processing disorder that really gives him a tough time with food. The list of what he doesn't eat is endless. He is slim and healthy despite this quirk. He takes a daily vitamin with iron, and eats normal portions.

I recommend checking out the picky eating adults website, and their corresponding yahoo group. Lots of ASD folks,"super tasters", even OCD people on there, who for a variety of reasons, eat a simple diet.

I also recommend you to continue eating the foods you feel safe and comfortable eating, but try to take a vitamin and count your calories.

• makemethin05
    Options
    My son has a sensory processing disorder that really gives him a tough time with food. The list of what he doesn't eat is endless. He is slim and healthy despite this quirk. He takes a daily vitamin with iron, and eats normal portions.

I recommend checking out the picky eating adults website, and their corresponding yahoo group. Lots of ASD folks,"super tasters", even OCD people on there, who for a variety of reasons, eat a simple diet.

I also recommend you to continue eating the foods you feel safe and comfortable eating, but try to take a vitamin and count your calories.
    Hi :-) thank you for your reply!

How old is your son? Does he deal with it well? I have a 6 year old sister that has severe autism and many medical problems due to being born at 24 weeks & along with that comes not eating.. She is fed via a gastro peg and the only solid food she eats (or sucks to death until they melt lol) is skips, the crisps. Bless her.

Wow, I had no idea at all that there would be a website to tackle this particular problem! How helpful, thank you!!!
    I've got lots of tips from people that I will try and put into play as of next week (after Easter of course!)

I do think I need to evaluate what is missing from my diet & take a vitamin or two to fill the void!

X
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Tell us what kinds of foods you do eat. What kind of cereal do you like and do you eat it with milk? What else are your foods?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Nothing aggravates me more as when someone says " I am a picky eater".
  • makemethin05
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    How old are you? Nothing aggravates me more as when someone says " I am a picky eater".

Have you ever heard the phrase 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?'

Good for you that you like all kinds of food & have never had this problem. As a lovely lady above mentioned there are many problems linked to eating habits.. Please don't be so judgemental in future. I'm sure it wouldn't be nice for you, if you reached out for some advice from people only to be trolled.