If you splurge on something.....

Options
If you splurge on something, it be a meal or a snack or a night out, how do you hold yourself accountable? Do you just allow yourself to go over your calories/fat etc for the day and move on? Do you eat less the next day? If you are doing it often I understand that you will/could not lose anything that week but how do YOU handle it? I am curious to hear what other do?

Replies

• Shutterpillar
    Shutterpillar Posts: 208
    Options
    I try to exercise more that day to allow myself more calories and try to burn fat.

Then I drown myself by drinking 50 bazillion gallons of water the next day to try to flush all the sodium out of my system. ;)
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I usually have planned the splurge I guess. I rarely eat anything that isn't from the kitchen any more. So when I splurge I do so after a good workout or when I've had a lower calorie meal. I plan for them so they fit in. But...even if not? I eat it. I enjoy every friggin piece of its yummy goodness. And then that's it. There is no emotional judgement made by me and my food. We don't work that way. I eat. I move on. I don't let it affect the rest of my day or week. If you start taring yourself up over a donut..first you are way too emotional to not wear diapers. Second...you just ruined the splurge and where does that get you? Nowhere. Eat the damned food and move on with your day. :laugh:
  • pittielover23
    pittielover23 Posts: 268
    Options
    I let myself go over on calories once a week, and that is because I have on meal where I indulge myself. I try and keep portion size down, but I usually have a little booze and something yummy to eat. I stay on track with my other meals for the day though. I don't like the idea of beating yourself up or restricting your calories other days of the week though. I think that if you screw up, you pick yourself up, dust yoruself off, and continue on.
  • Fidgetferguson
    Fidgetferguson Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If it's a small overage, I just give myself a pep talk and move on. If it's a large one I do try to make up for it, but subtly. Meaning, if I went over 300 cals, I don't just cut 300 cals from the next day. I'll add a little on to my cardio each day, or cut out a treat I had planned later in the week, something like that. So overall I still average out around where I need to be, but I don't starve myself or work myself to death one day to make up for an error in judgement
  • ewhitis
    ewhitis Posts: 132
    Options
    If I have time, I go to the gym that same day and try to work off the excess. Doesn't always happen:sad:
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I usually try to plan it out and adjust intake accordingly. Might do light workout after if I have already done daily. If sudden and spur of moment I just accept it and move on; treat the next day as a new day and don't hold over day before.
  • retromomof2
    retromomof2 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This is great feedback. Thank you for sharing. This is coming from a person who really has never counted calories by their actual number. :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Mine are somewhat planned, even if they're not, it's guiltless. I just go right back to my normal afterwards. Consider it a spike day, if you will. There will obviously be a fluctuation result, but fluctuations leave just as easily as they arrive.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    My settings have me set for a 500 calorie defecit (1 lb per week loss). If it's less than 500 calories, I don't worry about it (I'm still losing, just more slowly). If it's over 500 calories, then I still don't worry about it and move on to the next day (and try to be extra-diligent to stay on target).

This is about lifestyle changes. There are going to be life situations that will interfere with how you eat. If you "blow it," move on. It's in your past and has nothing to do with your future. (ok, so what if you lose 1/4 lb less this week, you'll still get there if you stay on target most days).
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    My splurge is when my bf and I have our "date night". It's always on a weekend so I work out that day and then fit the meal into my allotted calories. Sometimes I do just say "screw it" and go over. I enjoy food for food and if I want a good tasting, bad for me meal, I'll have it. I do find that I'm making healthier choices automatically now but I still want the occasional burger and fries.
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I try to plan my splurge days by not eating back all my exercise calories in the days leading up to it. I write EVERYTHING in my food diary so I know where I stand calorie wise. If I go over calories and I haven't planned for it, then I will make sure I have 'caught up' by next weigh-in.
  • MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    Well, I try not to let it happen, but it does and will happen to everyone. The best thing you can do is to not worry or fret over it. It happened Just move on and forget about it. Stress is a weight killer, just take it in stride and get back on track
  • cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that it is okay--log in everything i ate and move on. You can't be perfect everyday, that's just a part of life.
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My weekly splurge usually involves beer and chicken wings. On the day of my splurge, I eat very light meals throughout the day to "save up" calories for the evening, AND I put in an extra long/intense workout that day as well. The following day, I usually go back to my regular program.

Sometimes I will take 200 cals off my diet per day for a few days to make the calories balance at the end of the week, but I don't do this very often - only if I have really OVER indulged. Sometimes I just have the splurge and just blow it off.

One splurge meal doesn't usually bother me. Its when I screw off for several days in a row that screws with me. :/
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I usually wait for a few days to make sure I really, really want it. Then I go for it. If I'm over, I'm over but that's happened maybe a dozen times since Jan so I'm not too worried.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Log it (or don't) and move on. Never try to compensate by eating less the next day or "working it off". I flew a little bit off the handle this weekend myself. No worries.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that it is okay--log in everything i ate and move on. You can't be perfect everyday, that's just a part of life.

I, personally just had a bad splurge. Thankfully the first so far, but I wasn't gonna log it. After reading this it inspired me to just face up to it and log it. Well I think it certainly put me off doing that (splurging) again any time soon. What a load of junk I ate! Ew!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Mine are somewhat planned, even if they're not, it's guiltless. I just go right back to my normal afterwards. Consider it a spike day, if you will. There will obviously be a fluctuation result, but fluctuations leave just as easily as they arrive.

this exactly.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I start over the next day. :) I try not to go "ooh, screw it...I already messed up!" and go crazy with food for the rest of the day, but it's hard. I've had a few really, REALLY bad days the past few weeks and I'm trying to get out of that habit.

Definitely try not to beat yourself up over it, and just start again the next day. :)