Just don't have it...

Options
I don't know what's wrong with me lately. For a long time I was super committed to not only losing weight but just being active and healthy. I can make a million excuses, which I usually do, but the reality is that I moved to a new state, got a new job, have struggled to make friends and have lost all my motivation to do anything. I go to work and then I go home and put on sweatpants and do nothing.

I know in my head that I should snap out of it and go do the things I love, like running and walking around the new city checking out the sites. I should get back to cooking my meals at home and only having healthy things in my pantry. But for some reason I cannot convert this knowledge into action. I have a very "I don't care" attitude right now and it's making me miserable.

Anyone else have this feeling? Have you made it to the other side of the tunnel?

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    I think we all go through these phases occasionally. How long has it been since you moved? Moving to a new state and starting a new job is incredibly overwhelming! Give yourself time to adjust.

After that, I'd say don't really over think it. Schedule your physical activity just like you do your work ours and important appointments. Is it possible to change into workout clothes as you leave work and go for a walk / run right away? For me, it's going home in between that always derails me. I change my clothes at work, go to the gym, run my errands and THEN go home.

Food wise, again, small changes at a time.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I've just started to recently come out of this. What snapped me out was seeing the scale and realizing I had put on over 10 lbs this year (in only March). I'm still struggling to get back into a groove with workouts, but finally getting the snacking under control and actually saying no if it doesn't fit in my calories. Could you possibly join a gym? Or have you noticed people walking around the neighborhood that you could possibly start walking by yourself around the time to put yourself in position to meet new people? I've always been solitary on workouts, but you might be able to find ways to meet new people and get recommitted to fitness goals. Good luck in finding what snaps you out of the apathy funk. And even then, keep fighting it back. Feel free to friend me.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I was super healthy at the beginning of last year, and about 20lbs from my goal. Then I had a tough year at uni, and started going out with someone new and I gained about 30lbs, probably more. Then in February, I moved from Sydney, Australia to Toronto, CA and I have no life here. I came for my partners job after finishing uni, and I have nothing here. No friends, no family, no pets, no transportation, I can't get a job and my partner works about 50 hours a week, and usually most nights when home.

I have lost every ounce of motivation I ever had. I sit around watching TV and reading literally all day. Most days I only leave the apartment to go to the grocery store. Sometimes we go to the movies, but that's it.

I've been here for 2 months, and I feel myself getting more depressed. The only thing keeping me going is a short trip home in a week.

But about two weeks ago, I decided enough was enough, I don't do anything, so there is no reason I can't spend my day cooking healthy meals, and planning, and going to the grocery store.

Slowly the motivation is coming back, I tried to exercise the other day, and I was fine doing it, but my body has been so sore for 4 days, I can't do anything again yet.

Just try to remember why you want to be healthy in the first place. You'll regret the added lbs in a month or two when you can prevent it from starting now.

I feel your struggle, I hope you make it through!!! We can do this.
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yep, I had a 3 month dry spell on motivation. I wish I had the right answer for how to regain it. Mine came back after I spent a week in bed sick, maybe just out of relief. I do think that a few things always help me:
    1. Clean the kitchen. I don't want to cook if the kitchen isn't clean.
    2. Buy good groceries. After I've cleaned, I fill the space with healthy foods.
    3. Find something to re-link me to my goals. Either something specific to look forward to related to my goals, or something that connects me. In this instance, I bought a step tracker that links to my phone. So I'm indulging my obsessive habits with my tech-curiosity to go out and walk more.
  • argonzalez4
    argonzalez4 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm actually going through it right now .. I'm lacking motivation... before getting pregnant I would run 3 miles plus I would do my insanity workouts I was seeing results !! And I was eating healthy I was determined to lose weight ..now after giving birth to my daughter 20 months ago I'm lacking motivation =( I really hope it's just a phase like everyone is saying here..
  • saraphim41
    saraphim41 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It's a phase until it's not. Depression is a downward spiral. Just reaching out here is a beginning to pull out of it. Keep going.

DO three things each day. Any 3 things that you can see. Productivity is encouraging.
    Get some sun. Just sit there, or walk, or whatever IN THE SUNLIGHT. Try for 10 min/da.
    Meditate. Specifically, count your blessings, then your goals.
    Speak to people. Just say hello to folks as you pass. We usually hurry too much, and some people wind up feeling
    like they are invisible. Say, "Hello."
    Sing. In the shower (good acoustics), any time. If you're not good, sing louder.
    Know that you are NOT alone. Most of us feel that way to some extent. None of us are that unique.
    This too shall pass.

Stick around and see how we all get better.

• DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    So, emotional well-being and feeling like you have something valuable to fight for and look forward to as inspiration are lacking right now. Moving and changing job are stressful. That's going to get you down.

Something you might benefit from is going to fitness classes of any kind, so there are others around you trying to get in shape too. Its so hard to get going purely on your own steam but working together with others lifts everyone up.

Actually, any kind of group activities can help a lot. I got lonely and down when I moved to the city a year or so ago. In the end I got onto the Meetup website and joined as many groups as I could for all sorts of interests. It really helped getting me out of the house, mixing with people and feeling like I had things to do that connected me with the world outside house and work. Most groups weren't for me but the few that were made such a huge difference. Over time it also turned out to be my main route to making new friends. There are lots of great people out there who want to connect. You just have to give yourself the opportunities to meet them.

Another thing that might help is having some outlet to express your feelings openly, without judgement. Even if its simply keeping a diary of how you're feeling, that can help a lot. It not only releases the emotion but you can look back on what you wrote, see the patterns of difficulties you have and work out how you might be able to make things better.

Best of luck.
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Severe heartburn woke me up! I lost my mojo last summer. Angry emotional eating. Felt like I couldn't control anything and took being healthy for granted. At my age staying healthy requires work. But man severe heartburn feels awful. I felt it between my shoulder blades. Sharp! And motivation was back. I may get ill one day but not because I helped.

So dig down. Remember why eating healthy feels good. Enjoy your food. And congratulations on a new job and home! It is an adventure.
  • hludwig980
    hludwig980 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I also know that feeling all too well. 2014 started out great, I was within 10 pounds of my goal, but then it got turned TOTALLY upside down on me. I didn't so much as lose my motivation, as I began focusing on helping someone who had a major upheaval in his life and lost myself in the process. During that time I put 20 pounds back on. It has only been within the last 2 ore 3 weeks that I've really been able to get myself back on track. I had to pull myself up by my bootstraps and just do it. This is my health and I cannot help anyone if I cannot take care of myself first.

The first step is realizing that you are having problems and begin making small changes to get back on track.

Hang in there!
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    DaFibble wrote: »
    Another thing that might help is having some outlet to express your feelings openly, without judgement. Even if its simply keeping a diary of how you're feeling, that can help a lot. It not only releases the emotion but you can look back on what you wrote, see the patterns of difficulties you have and work out how you might be able to make things better.

I never even thought of this... this is a great idea. One of the things that is making me feel so down since the move is that I feel like I'm completely disconnected. I have no new friends and all my old friends are still living their lives back home. I feel like I have no one to talk to, and when I do, I feel like all I do is complain. So, this is a great way for me to get those feelings out without feeling like I am burdening everyone else. I like this.... Thank you so much.

Thank you everyone who has responded. It is nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. We are supposed to have nice weather this weekend so I'm hoping I can venture out a bit and explore my "new world". Thank you for all the kind words and suggestions. I really appreciate all the support! :blush:
  • cj94404
    cj94404 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It is hard to make new friends if you are beyond college. Maybe volunteer if you have time? It gives you a shared purpose and a reason to chat. Or find a hiking group?
  • pandabear7486
    pandabear7486 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've spent the last year and a half derailing myself. I am just now getting myself back on track and I get off track so easily. I gained back all the weight I lost and then some. I've lost some of it but I've maintained the same weight for the past 3+ months because any activity I am doing I eat back. I'm not busy & challenged at my job so I hit up the vending machine. To stop that I had to stop bringing my purse to work so I don't have the money and bring something to snack on in the afternoon. Some days its just not enough. This didn't use to be a problem for me but I transitioned from a retail job to an office job and it's so much easier to just go grab a snack and not be as mobile as I was. Ugh. If only this could be easy. I had the a similar transition when I first moved states with my boyfriend. Thankfully social media and email make it easier to stay connected to my friends and family back home but I also looked at some of my peers and made a few friendships there. Maybe classes (like cooking, painting, etc.) might be a good option to get you out there and making friends and getting out of the slump.