35lb down. This is where it starts getting hard...

Options
I'm 2 1/2 stone down from my starting weight. Still morbidly obese....

I've been here before; Many times I have about 3 stone loss and hit a plateau. After weeks of not losing any more I've given up.
I'M NOT GIVING UP!!!! NOT THIS TIME!!!!

I reached the point where I was considering spending several thousand £ on surgery.

I have abused my body with excess food and lack of exercise for too many years. I have read so much about fat intake and calories and it's simple maths; be honest with your food diary, you are only cheating yourself if you don't. The hard bit is the mental torture that you have to put yourself through to not give in to the cravings.

This is a punishment to myself for not looking after myself properly for years. 140lb of excess weight doesn't happen overnight! I can relax when it's gone. Maybe I can spend those few thousand on sorting out the loose skin as I'm sure I will have that problem?

Keep at it people!!!

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Yup, save your money for taking care of loose skin later...OR maybe it will not be as bad as you foresee. Nice work staying the course! Willpower and motivation are the most difficult parts of the weight loss equation!
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Good for you !!!!!! Once we realise that we didn't get to this point overnight we can realise we are not going to be 'perfect' overnight either. Baby steps.....
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Awesome job recognizing your weak point! Logic will prevail, whenever you feel tempted to quit just say to yourself "I knew this plateau would be here, at the end of the plateau is another drop, I just have to keep walking there". You can do it!
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I am down almost 35 pounds and seemed to have hit a plateau as well. While I don't have as far to go as you it is difficult to "stay the course" when the bathroom scale isn't cooperating.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    err why put yourself through torture, chill out. You still have plenty of scope to lose at a sensible rate. Pace yourself. As you recognise it will take some time so maybe split it down into mini diets instead of worrying about the big number. Its easier to focus on the next pound, performing well for the day or week than some distant date many months away.
  • ScrAgnX
    ScrAgnX Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    be honest with your food diary, you are only cheating yourself if you

Very key point that I think is critical for everyone to understand. Yes, it's okay to miss your goals occasionally, but inaccurate logging daily (because you don't want to see what you ate) only hurts yourself.

I know how rough it is, especially at the start; I emerged from morbidly obese on Thursday. Do I don't give up halfway, I try not to view my restricted calories as a punishment, but as a redemption.

Plateaus can be tricky, but reassess your calorie intakes to make sure nothing's missed (i.e. start weighing good if you need to), and make sure your calories burned make sense (maybe pick up a heart rate monitor, activity tracker, whatever would help). I keep a separate spreadsheet that shoes my calorie intake and estimated burns and compared the theoretical weight loss to the scale. This keeps me on track with my calorie in/out tracking, if the numbers separate much something is off.

And you are right... You can do this.
  • yetagainhereweare
    yetagainhereweare Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    err why put yourself through torture, chill out. You still have plenty of scope to lose at a sensible rate. Pace yourself. As you recognise it will take some time so maybe split it down into mini diets instead of worrying about the big number. Its easier to focus on the next pound, performing well for the day or week than some distant date many months away.

Sorry, but I have to view the big picture. When I think of the things that I have not been able to do over the years due to exceeding the weight limit or not fitting into a seat. (gliding, sky diving, rollercoasters) I have to get on with it. I had a few short flights at the end of last year and apart from being uncomfortable in the narrow seat, it was a struggle to get the belt on.

If I pause at a 40lb target I will stop and then it will all go back on. This is why I will punish myself until I hit the big target. It's not the attitude that would suit everyone, but not everyone succeeds and reaches their ultimate target. I don't want to be one of those... Enough is enough....
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Little targets. I had over 200lbs to lose, I've lost 124lbs so far and all done with just the help of this app. I've had up days and down days and weeks where I've been good and not lost a pound and weeks where I've gained but at the end of it all i'm doing it for myself and that's the only person i'm accountable to. Rome wasn't built in a day and you will get there so I wish you every success in your journey.3894102.png
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!