How would I log this?

Options
I am going out to brunch tomorrow noon. It's a buffet with quite a variety of different foods, many of which I intend to sample. But how do I log them? This restaurant doesn't have an online menu with nutrition information, so the best I have come up with is just to do a best guess estimate. Or should I just have a logging holiday (not a good idea)?

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    solnapug wrote: »
    I am going out to brunch tomorrow noon. It's a buffet with quite a variety of different foods, many of which I intend to sample. But how do I log them? This restaurant doesn't have an online menu with nutrition information, so the best I have come up with is just to do a best guess estimate. Or should I just have a logging holiday (not a good idea)?

That's always REAL hard. I don't like to have days where I don't log so it's one of the few times I will guesstimate and put the day in the memory bank just in case something weird happens on the scales.

I don't see the harm in logging something.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm facing same dilemma tomorrow. The simple answer would be do what fits in your comfort level. Enjoy, eat slow, be mindful of being satisfied vs over stuffed. And as a barometer, weigh yourself the following day, just to be aware of how your body responds to your choices.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a buffet that had foods that I could not identify. I'd log based on the foods, determining whether each should be logged by their ingredients or as a whole.
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If it is something where it is easy to identify the individual components (like a cheeseburger) I will log the individual pieces, (1/4 pound Angus beef, applewood smoked bacon, etc.)knowing it's still a guess but likely a better guess than logging a random cheeseburger entry. If it's harder to do that like a chicken alfredo or something where I have no idea how much cream, cheese etc. may have gone in I'll check a couple restaurant entries for a similar item and just log the highest one. I know none of it is as accurate as when I weigh my food at home, but I figure it is better than not logging at all. Enjoy! Brunch is the best!! :)
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Today if I would hit a buffet, I would try to eat a balanced meal. Salad and/or soup, beverage of choice, one plate of food not overflowing and a dessert which I would take several bites ad leave the rest. I've worked too hard to blow my diet now...When the weather warms up, then I will eat more since I can ride my bike more. Calorie wise..log it as between 1000-1200 calories and move on.
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I agree with above. Why not take a picture of the meal before you eat it to help you identify it. We are having a buffet of sorts on Easter and I am thinking I will fast till lunch then make my plate with all I want, take a picture and log when I get home. Dinner will depend on whether I can exercise or if I have any more calories left. I would bet after a buffet you aren't very hungry later anyway.
  • solnapug
    solnapug Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks, folks. Fortunately, this place has everything pretty well by the item - salad fixings, bread, scrambled eggs, bacon etc. No prepared meals, so no guessing of the ingredients involved. The amounts can't be measured so I'll just enter by the piece, e.g. one slice of bread, two strips of bacon and so on. Won't be accurate but hey, it's only one day.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I've never been to a buffet that had foods that I could not identify.

And would you still eat there if you couldn't? Lol