38 pounds in 83 days, whose with me?

Options
definitly need support, have everything planned out I just really need people to motivate me along the way

Replies

• tabathamason80
    tabathamason80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hear you!!! I'd love to lose 40lbs in 80 days!!! I'm on your side!!! We can do it!!! Think positive!!!
  • SALSACHICA1
    SALSACHICA1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    thats a 1600 daily deficit. sorry but not realistic bud, try for 20 lbs

eta; best of luck though, i can sympathize with intentionally setting the bar high

Numbers wise, he is right, HOWEVER, where you put your heart and your mind, your body will follow! Go blow it out of the water!!

• radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I know everyone's different, but why a timeline? Why not just aim to lose the pounds however long it takes? If you go slow, chances are better you're going to keep it off, not to mention give yourself time to develop good habits that will last a lifetime.

Just my two cents.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    That's about a half pound a day loss. A bit over zealous unless you're obese or morbidly obese. As mentioned anyone doing that would need a 1600 calorie deficit, so if you're eating 3000 cals to maintain, then 1400 would be your goal and if you're a male that's just over weight, that's probably too little to eat especially if you exercise and/or have a physical job.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    That is not a realistic goal. Trying to lose more than 2 pounds a week is not a good idea and not sustainable (unless you're morbidly obese.)
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This is an unsafe goal. Time to re-evaluate it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

eta; best of luck though, i can sympathize with intentionally setting the bar high

Numbers wise, he is right, HOWEVER, where you put your heart and your mind, your body will follow! Go blow it out of the water!!

no.

the point being made here is that it isn't a safe or sustainable goal.
    encouraging that doesn't help.

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    tumblr_ngdvriaZff1qksk74o1_500.gif

No one in their right mind (i.e., nutritionists, doctors, or anything in the health or medical field) will ever suggest losing more than 2 lbs per week, and even that's a stretch for anyone who is anything but morbidly obese.

Aim for 0.005% of your body weight per week. I weigh 240 lbs, so for me, that's 1.2 lbs/week. Perfectly healthy.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    How much do you weigh? If you're not morbidly obese you're either setting yourself up for failure or severe malnutrition.

The posters telling you to re-think your goal are not being mean or unsupportive. They're giving you really sound advice. You should either extend your deadline or decrease the amount of weight you are planning to lose, so that your weight loss can be more sustainable in the long term.

Hope all goes well and that you're successful!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    That's about a half pound a day loss. A bit over zealous unless you're obese or morbidly obese. As mentioned anyone doing that would need a 1600 calorie deficit, so if you're eating 3000 cals to maintain, then 1400 would be your goal and if you're a male that's just over weight, that's probably too little to eat especially if you exercise and/or have a physical job.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This^^

Please listen to ninerbuff, he knows what he's talking about.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options

Having "heart" to do something doesn't always mean it's the correct way to do something. Lots of boxers have heart, but getting hit in the head repetitively doesn't increase one's knowledge.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    buffmgee wrote: »
    definitly need support, have everything planned out I just really need people to motivate me along the way

Although everyone above has said it, it needs stressed again. This is neither safe nor healthy. You may lose the weight, but it is not sustainable. And looking at your picture, you are not morbidly obese. You say you have a plan, might I ask what that plan is?

Unless you are working closely with a physician, you are setting yourself up for failure. By this math (deficit of 1600 calories a day), you would actually be fed more via IV if you are in a coma.
    Seriously. That is not OK.

Google Scooby Calculator. It explains things nicely, and will give you a more accurate and realistic accounting of what you CAN do.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    What is with the onslaught of 30lbs in 10 days threads today?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE!
  • FileppM
    FileppM Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I am down 39 pounds in 85 days. It's totally possible. I have been eating about 1500 calories a day and haven't been going nuts with exercise or anything. It's absolutely possible.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    FileppM wrote: »

I am down 39 pounds in 85 days. It's totally possible. I have been eating about 1500 calories a day and haven't been going nuts with exercise or anything. It's absolutely possible.

I'm willing to bet 60% of it was water, 25% muscle, and maybe 15% fat.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

I lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks when I first started my diet. It was 90% water weight.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »

I lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks when I first started my diet. It was 90% water weight.

I wish I had 12lbs of water weight to shed right meow!
  • buffmgee
    buffmgee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply guys, I really did set the bar high for myself intentionally, realisticly im only looking at 20-30 pounds and that may not even happen As I am going for a BF transformation mainly, and it's going great. My goal ATM is 220 and a 15/20% BF, again this may not happen exactly but instead of criticism, let's try being supportive. I know the dangers and I know losing weight too quickly is foolish. Just trying to push myself. Take care
  • buffmgee
    buffmgee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh and cutting 600 calories daily from a diet still leaves me 1500 calories for the day, and burning 1000 cal, doing HIIT is not u reachable as well