over 45

Options
Any women out there over 45 with children under 5 years old that have noticed it has become much more difficult to lose/maintain weight? Any specific changes in diet helped? I'm sticking with the MFP of 1200 cal but wondering if less carbs has worked for anyone.

Replies

• cattitude123
    cattitude123 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am 48, no little kids anymore, but yes, it gets harder as we age because of menopause, shrinking muscle mass and slower metabolism, we are behind the 8 ball it seems sometimes! Just keep at it, and dont be so hard on yourself with the 1200 cals, it can leave you very hungry and cranky. Dont be hard on yourself if you stumble, its not a race, but a journey..we all have heard that, its true! Good Luck!!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm 47 and my youngest is eight years old. No, I'm not finding it harder than in the past. If I eat at a deficit, I lose. But I'm comfortable with that deficit. I have my goals set on only half a pound a week but am overall losing faster than that.

I have not passed actual menopause but am in perimenopause (not just according to symptoms but according to blood tests, my ovaries are beginning to call it a day ;) )...that makes me wonky and odd and I tend to retain water at odd times during the month now, and PMS symptoms have stretched out to up to two weeks out of a given cycle, but it's not holding up my actual weight loss.

Low-carb didn't help me to lose weight any faster. I had an initial water "whoosh" and then the scale didn't budge unless I reduced my calories anyway, so I thought what the hell, I may as well bring carbs back and enjoy.

Are you weighing and measuring everything? Are you certain you're only getting 1200 calories a day? Are you losing?
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have a 3.5 yr old. I was fit pre-preg but kept about 10 lbs of pregnancy weight. I joined MFP last year and tried eating the prescribed 1200 calories (I'm 5' 2" and SW of 137). I started lifting heavy in October and lost a couple of lbs but kept losing and gaining the same 5 lbs. I increased my calories to 1350 and lost 8 lbs and 5.5 inches between Feb-April 1. I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 3x/wk and cardio about 2x/wk for 30 min. I found the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group on MFP and am continuing to lose slowly. I feel much better eating more, too.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I don't do low carb, either. I eat what I feel like eating but I do cook most of our meals from scratch.