Emotional eating

Options
L0singMoreThanMyMind
L0singMoreThanMyMind Posts: 26 Member
edited March 2015 in Motivation and Support
Hi guys I'm an emotional eater. I've been able to control this for 3 months. I work out, and journal every night, and after work i drink tea and do something to keep my hand and mind busy. And this has been keeping things in check. But then someone broke my break this week, and all I can think about it food. Right now, I'm obsessing about food rather than binging. but I'm worried i'll have a major relapse and binge. Does anyone with a history of emotional eating have any tips? Therapy/medication is not an option

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "broke your break"?
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'broke my break'? But I'm an emotional eater too. It's mostly under control now that I'm using MFP because I can see what the damage will be if I give in, but there are times something overwhelming happens and throws me back to that state of mind.

Last week was the anniversary of my Husband's passing. The grief threw me back to the state of needing to eat for comfort. I had one bad day and one somewhat bad meal, but those two bad days did not ruin the last three years of work I put into losing weight and in fact by yesterday I was already back to my lowest weight so far. This week I'm determined to do much better.

This is just my own experience and I'm certainly not speaking for anyone else, but when I'm heading towards that state of mind (which doesn't happen much anymore) and I haven't been able to push it away within a day or two I find the sooner I give in and have a couple candy bars or chocolates, just for example, the binge will be so much smaller than if I keep pushing the thoughts away. Eventually it gets so overwhelming for me I have a really big binge. For me, I would rather have a candy bar, chocolate, etc than have a feast of candy a couple days later that I'm then angry at myself for and it takes me 1-2 weeks to get back to where I was scale wise.

Is there anyone close you can talk to to help you through your emotions? Family or friends? Or are you in college possibly and could see a school counselor?
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'm very much an emotional eater. I would eat to avoid any form of emotion or having to deal with anything that frustrated me. I ended up at 376 pounds by "feeding" my emotions instead of dealing with them.

There are always going to be instances where life will happen and your best efforts get derailed. A friend of mine always says that "Life happens when you make other plans."

You'll need to find another way to deal with your emotions rather than turning to food. Some sort of counselor or therapist can really help you with that, and it doesn't necessarily have to involve medication.

Get involved with Overeaters Anonymous or get together with some people in the area who are committed to losing weight to share your experiences with. It'll help you realize you're not alone.

But Freud would probably say that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar - sometimes all it is is that you really just want a cookie.

• CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I also don't know what "broke my break" means, but I found your post because I just triggered into an emotional eating moment - the first in the 21 days I've been on MFP. Someone double-crossed me, made an offer to pay me for something and then randomly withdrew. Worst, this is a fellow business owner for whom I have done many favors and this was supposed to be his opportunity to finally pay me back.

So here's what I did after I wrote him an email ending our business relationship:
    1. I recognized that I wanted to eat emotionally.
    2. I logged on to see how many calories I have left today.
    3. I made myself a piece of whole grain toast with low fat Swiss cheese.
    4. I ate it thoughtfully and consciously.
    5. I came on here and searched "Emotional Eating." Because I know I'm still angry and food doesn't solve anything

I'm pretty pleased with myself, frankly. I'm still 650 calories under my allotment today, which means I'm going to be OK. And I'm writing this, breathing and realizing bad things just happen sometimes; some people lie; some people are inconsiderate; and I'm still OK.
  • L0singMoreThanMyMind
    Options
    sorry guys! when i said 'broke my break' i meant to type 'broke my heart'. my mind was elsewhere and i didn't notice in time. sorry for all the confusion!
  • sweetsorrow18
    sweetsorrow18 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am one too, more of a boredom eater than an emotional eater but I've had my fair share of binges in the past.

I've been reading "The Hunger Fix" and its been helping a lot with emotional eating. Some of my go to tricks are popping in a piece of gum, sit down and just take deep breathes and focus on the gum, then go do something, anything...the mouth motion along with keeping your hands busy will make you forget your "binge" moments. Something else that works is giving yourself a mantra..anytime I'm reaching for that piece of chocolate or cupcake and I know it's my mind willing me to it, I start repeating "It's a lie, this is a fix...You're not truly hungry, you control what goes into your body"...and I just push that and keep repeating it, you'd be surprised how much it helps!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I'm an emotional eater. I've been able to control this for 3 months. I work out, and journal every night, and after work i drink tea and do something to keep my hand and mind busy. And this has been keeping things in check. But then someone broke my break this week, and all I can think about it food. Right now, I'm obsessing about food rather than binging. but I'm worried i'll have a major relapse and binge. Does anyone with a history of emotional eating have any tips? Therapy/medication is not an option

Why is therapy not an option?
  • L0singMoreThanMyMind
    Options

because my income is very very small and i have no insurance or the ability to obtain insurance. I have no family in the picture and support myself financially 100%
  • L0singMoreThanMyMind
    Options
    thank you everyone for your tips! I appreciate it so much!
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options

because my income is very very small and i have no insurance or the ability to obtain insurance. I have no family in the picture and support myself financially 100%

Don't let food become a therapist. As long as you realize it's emotional hunger and not physical hunger, you shod be able to holdout longer.

Maybe have a 'sad' day. I have a pint of Ice cream every Sunday so I don't feel so strict with my diet all week. If you're sad, focusing on exercising and healthy eating will help your mood the best. But if the temptation is too strong and you're afraid of having a major binge, plop down, get some ice cream, grab a box of tissues, and put in a sad movie. Your ice cream is now a 'treat' not a failure, and won't lead into a major binge.
  • Cookiejo2270
    Cookiejo2270 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Allow yourself a splurge moment. Maybe that will help with the obsession.
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Broke my break? People...the poster obviously meant broke their heart. I hate when people make stupid statements or questions lol. Anyways, this is so me. Just take a deep breathe. Maybe try some meditation. And if they broke your heart, think if you eat, you gain. If you stay on track, you'll look amazing and they'll regret losing you ;) Also, maybe a treat or two. Don't go all out, but a little might take the edge off. Good luck!!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge emotional eater, and lately I've been eating my feelings like it's my job (my feelings want me to eat cake, mainly). I feel like I'm finally starting to get a handle on things again. What has helped me, is going back to logging what I eat, to be really mindful of the calories I'm consuming. I also reason with myself when I get the urge to eat something - like, that piece of cake isn't going to fix whatever has made you feel like this. That's been a helpful strategy. I've also been focusing on other ways to manage my emotions - drawing and writing, getting out into nature, and yoga have all been beneficial. And also, being mindful of looking after myself. Giving in to cake every time I want it is going to result in my body not being as healthy and fit as it normally is. To take care of myself, and maintain/build health and fitness, I need to keep the emotional eating in check.

It's a tough one, the comfort eating! Best of luck to you :) xx
  • lisalisa94585
    lisalisa94585 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Emotional eating, wow. I ate so much ice cream 3 weeks ago and felt so sick the next day. It didn't fix the problem. Temporarily soothed me then gave me another problem to deal with (calorie influx). Just went on my public library site to look for the book mentioned (The Hunger Fix).
  • laurenisfit12
    laurenisfit12 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I used to emotionally eat. I know how it feels. Try to find other things to ease your emotions instead of eating. Try going for a walk, reading a book, talking to someone. Stick to a meal plan and mfp so you can eat within your calorie goal.