Is Stationary Bike Really A Waste Of Time?

Options
It is one of my favorite work out and my average speed is 11-15 MPH /strain level medium. At the end of my 30 min/6 Miles workout I'm all sweats. But reading many people negative opinion here has discouraged me a bit. Is it not beneficial to my heart health at all? The main argument was that only leg moves and rest of the body is still. I think any activity that leaves your breath racing and heart pumping should account for calorie burn and heart-health as well.

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    strictly speaking cardio is cardio and as long as you get your heart rate to your target zone for your goal time you are good to go.

Running strains your entire body so you burn more calories in a given time but is also higher impact therefore more injury prone.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It's not great for calorie burns but if you use high resistance and speed intervals you will see effects on your body shape. and that will also up the burn
  • JessieLMay
    JessieLMay Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think it depends. If you have a semi high resistance then it can be good because it actually works your muscles as well. Otherwise, I don't find it too great, but regardless, cardio is cardio, and it's still better than nothing!
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I clipped this from a article i just read.- Riding an exercise bike is an aerobic exercise. When you get regular aerobic exercise, you can lose fat that has accumulated in your belly. Moderate aerobic activity, such as that required when riding a bicycle or an exercise bike, is a key component of a visceral fat-burning program. To get the benefits of your activity, you will need to ride your bike for at least 30 minutes on five days each week for a total of 150 minutes of weekly exercise. To increase the fat-burning capacity of your regular exercise routine, engage in weightlifting or some other form of strength training two or three times each week. -
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    It is one of my favorite work out and my average speed is 11-15 MPH /strain level medium. At the end of my 30 min/6 Miles workout I'm all sweats. But reading many people negative opinion here has discouraged me a bit. Is it not beneficial to my heart health at all? The main argument was that only leg moves and rest of the body is still. I think any activity that leaves your breath racing and heart pumping should account for calorie burn and heart-health as well.

They're fine for burning cals. I use mine when I can't do other cardio stuff for fitness.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about all the amateur "experts". If it's working for you and you enjoy it - keep doing it.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Its not a waste of time at all! Even if its not the best exercise for overall fitness its especially good for your brain health and well-being. I call my stationary bike the miracle steed, because its made such a difference.

Probably best to mix it up a bit though. A more well rounded exercise program leads to better things. I know this, but the good that I would do, I do not. Got to get out of the habit of always using the stationary bike!
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    moving ANY of your parts, in ANY way, for any length of time... is NEVER a waste of time.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    A bike is a tool, not a glorified lounge chair. A tool used properly can achieve many goals. Lift your *kitten* off the seat and crank the pedals hard. Trust me, you'll be working hard.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I generally pick a bike over an elliptical or treadmill for cardio. Airdyne bikes are beast, hate recumbent bikes though
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Those people don't know what they are talking about. It's as simple as that.

eta: You like riding the bike, and it seems to be a challenge for you? Keep on keeping on.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    It's probably easier for me to burn more calories on a bike than it is on an elliptical (based on HR). I like the spin bikes better because it's more fluid and I have complete control of the resistance.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I ride almost everyday. Mine does have dual action handlebars though for greater intensity. I love my bike.
  • SatiaRenee
    SatiaRenee Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Bike is great for me! I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis so I was told to start using the bike. When I don't use it, the pain in my knees returns. Oddly enough, I want to live as pain free as possible so I'm happily using the bike and losing weight. For me, not a waste of time at all.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Stationery bikes will help you lose weight and eventually when the weather improves riding outside is even better.!!! :)
  • Building_Bulk
    Building_Bulk Posts: 20,596 Member
    Options
    Ignore anyone with negative opinions about biking. If you enjoy it and it's working that is all that matters.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you enjoy it, and are getting your heart rate up, thats all that matters.
  • pony62mfp
    Options
    are "they" sitting on the bike with you? no? well then, don't worry about "them"! You are moving your body and it works for you, so, bike on!
  • iwlf
    iwlf Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's a waste of time if you're trying to go from point "A" to point "B". (It is stationary!) However, for cardio work, it's great!
  • MattMMorrissey
    MattMMorrissey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I joined our gyms 12 week challenge and had a good weight loss per week going when I injured my knee and couldn't do the treadmill and elliptical. I tried the bike for 3 weeks and maintained my weight loss. I got just as good or better workout and rehabbed at the same time. The bike will always be in my workout routine.

You go tare up that bike and show "them" whats up.