Binge Eating

Options
I get extremely hungry throughout the day, and I manage to stick to my goals until ~7pm! And then, suddenly I binge eat! I am aiming for about 1700 calories so by no means starvation. I just feel so lost! Does anyone have any experience or tips?x

Replies

• mrsmiley32
    mrsmiley32 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Habit begets habit, hunger begets hungers. There really is no way I've found to side step, some will suggest drinking water and by all means if you think you are dehydrated do so. Careful though if you are like me, water could give you hunger pains.

I've noticed hunger seems to stem from 2 reasons for me (all this is anecdotal and what works for _me_, it may or may not apply to you):
    - 1) Boredom, I eat so many calories out of sheer boredom on the weekends but when I keep myself busy during the week I don't eat enough :|
    - 2) Not eating within the last 4 hours, so I don't really have an answer as to the why here, but I've noticed that 3-4 hours after my last meal I start getting hungry. Carrots work really well for a cheap and easy snack (or an orange) that is filling and mostly low cal (ok the carrots more so than the orange but oranges are tastier and a little sugar before bed is nice).

That is what I did in the beginning though, I was eating an average of 4000calories a day, I cut it to 3000 than to 2000, now the idea of eating 2000 calories is hard for me to comprehend. The lesson I kept learning throughout was "hunger begets hunger" (and to spread out my meals). The more you eat, the more you will want to eat.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Prelog your day to include snacks for after 7. Additionally, make sure you're getting lots of protein and fats, as they keep you sated longer.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1800 calories a day and I always leave myself 200 or 300 calories for a night time snack. That's really helped me from night time binge eating.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    What you need to attempt, is imagining yourself getting the weight you want, the body you want, and realising binging will only put you back a step.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I always plan a goody for nighttime! :) I know that "want" for food is going to happen...so I don't fight it anymore. I just work it into my calorie goals.

Alternatively, you may not be eating enough during the first half of your day and your hunger is just building to the point where you "panic" and overeat. So make sure you're not overly restricting during the first half of your day. It can be a balancing act and you'll need to find your sweet spot, but you can do this.
  • MeanNurseGM95
    MeanNurseGM95 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had/have this problem too. Since I started cutting carbs (not drastically but around 100 grams) and eating lots more protein this problem seems to be going away. I still have my moments but even those moments are not binging like I use to do.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    It's really all in your head. I'm a big night time binger. Sometimes I like to cut up lots of veggies to munch on. That way I get to keep eating for minimal calories. Eventually I just get to a place mentally where I can say no to the excess snacking. You get used to being a little hungry.

If I'm starving I eat a few extra hundred calories than get back to normal the next day. If you're consistently hungry maybe your goal is too low. But I'm gonna guess it's just habit. Eat a snack after dinner than go to bed if that's what it takes.
  • JudeElite
    JudeElite Posts: 3
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have struggled with binge eating most of my life and only recently have I gotten a handle on it. Here is what has helped me:

The most important step to deterring binge eating is regulating food availability and accessibility. Only stock your fridge and pantry with the foods on your diet plan, and keep a limited supply of them. My fridge and pantry is mostly empty because I only stock 1-2 days worth of food. The downside is I have to go to the grocery store more often, but it's a small price to pay for greatly increasing diet compliance.

Secondly, lower carbs, particularly non-fibrous carbs. The body processes carbs fast, leaving you hungry within hours. Swap the carbs for protein and fat. Not only will cutting carbs increase weight loss via ketosis, but your appetite will be more manageable as well.

Lastly, if you can secure a prescription for adderall or any similar amphetamine from your doctor, you'd be doing yourself a great service.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I prelog my late night snacking (chocolate, salty chips, hummus, veggies) in the morning. I can usually tell by how my day is going to be if I'm going to snack or not. If I wait up until 12am for my SO to get home, I'm more likely to snack, since dinner is at 7pm. So I log a few snacks (Thin Mints, ten chips with a tablespoon of hummus, a rice cake, some carrots) and all is well. Most of the time, I end up deleting the snacks off of my diary because I don't eat them. :)
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    it happens to me too, mostly if i go many hours with not enough food (tipically when i work till late) or when i am upset, but sometimes on regular days too. as some other people already said, make sure you don't arrive at dinner hungry, so you don't lose control. try to plan your meals and log as you go, so that you always know where you are at calorie wise. even though, if you eat for emotional reasons it will still happen. try to make it happen less often :( hugs xxx
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JudeElite wrote: »
    I have struggled with binge eating most of my life and only recently have I gotten a handle on it. Here is what has helped me:

Lastly, if you can secure a prescription for adderall or any similar amphetamine from your doctor, you'd be doing yourself a great service.

I strongly but respectfully disagree with this advice. These are powerful drugs that have side effects and can be addictive. Other MFP folks have responded with a range of suggestions involving changing behaviors which is what is needed for long-term success. What works for one person, does not necessarily work for someone else, so some trial and error is necessary to figure out what will work best for you. For me, like for some of the other people who have posted, saving calories for nighttime snacks, pre-logging, and keeping trigger foods out of the house is helpful. Assessing whether, I'm actually thirsty, tired, or stressed vs. truly hungers helps too. You'll know whether or not you're truly experiencing hunger if a healthy snack satisfies you.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Binge eating, for those that struggle with it, is often a method of coping with negative thoughts and feelings like anxiety, sorrow, anger, etc.

Many great suggestions have been made. The next time you binge, record in your food diary or somewhere else how you were feeling and what you were thinking. There are also many apps for binge eaters (if you find that this is becoming a constant problem) like Recovery Record.

Before my first diet and 40 lb weight loss, I didn't struggle with binge eating. I had gained because I didn't pay attention to what I ate. After my loss, I fell into a depression and began to use food as a way to cope. Within months, I had regained all the weight I lost and then some. I've never been this heavy before. Turns out, I added binge eating to my list of unhealthy coping mechanisms for my high anxiety and depression.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I will try these out. Much appreciating your advice! :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    JudeElite wrote: »

The most important step to deterring binge eating is regulating food availability and accessibility. Only stock your fridge and pantry with the foods on your diet plan, and keep a limited supply of them. My fridge and pantry is mostly empty because I only stock 1-2 days worth of food. The downside is I have to go to the grocery store more often, but it's a small price to pay for greatly increasing diet compliance.

Secondly, lower carbs, particularly non-fibrous carbs. The body processes carbs fast, leaving you hungry within hours. Swap the carbs for protein and fat. Not only will cutting carbs increase weight loss via ketosis, but your appetite will be more manageable as well.

Worst. Advice. Ever.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I cannot believe someone has seriously recommended amphetamine as a help for binge eating. Yep get so off your face that you no longer want to eat ha ha.

No. Just no.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy eating after 7pm then that's fine. Just make sure you save those calories (however much they are) throughout the day and have them of an evening when these cravings/boredom or whatever they are kick in. I personally enjoy eating a huge meal at about 8pm every evening with my family. I save these calories by either pacing/budgeting them in the day (smaller breakfast/lunch etc) or exercising because I enjoy the social/relaxing meal of an evening.
  • ntinkham88
    ntinkham88 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. I log my entire day ahead of time so I know exactly what to eat, when to eat it, and when to stop eating. The best thing to do is choose foods that leave you feeling full. Plenty of protein! For me, I have days where I'm fine and then random days here and there where I go through what I can a hunger spell. That's when I could just eat everything in sight and still be hungry. But it's actually good to go over your calories every once in awhile to mix it up so you may not have to worry so much about it as long as it's not every single day. After dinner I completely shut down my kitchen for the night and brush my teeth. I never want to eat anything after brushing my teeth! Hopefully this helps!