Question: percentage of Protein to Fat to Carbs??

Options
what should be the percentages of carb protein and fat in our Goals for the best weight loss???

Replies

• erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Depends on the eating program you follow.

For example, if you follow keto, you'll limit your carb intake to 5% (20ish grams), your protein to ~25% and fat to ~70%.

If you're following a calorie in calorie out (CICO) approach, then it doesn't really matter so long as you stay under your TDEE and above your BMR.

But, CICO is the way to go anyways, even with keto.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 isn't a bad place to start
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,308 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    There is no magic macro ratio. Calories in vs out for weight loss. Protein and Fat are essential macronutrients. Protein minimums should be between .6g-.8g/lbs (if weight training on a deficit, .8g-1g/lbs to spare as much muscle as possible) and fat minimums .3g-.4g/lbs. Fill the rest of your calories in with carbs.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    There is no magic macro ratio. Calories in vs out for weight loss. Protein and Fat are essential macronutrients. Protein minimums should be between .6g-.8g/lbs (if weight training on a deficit, .8g-1g/lbs to spare as much muscle as possible) and fat minimums .3g-.4g/lbs. Fill the rest of your calories in with carbs.

Yep I was just going to say something similar.

I did the above and sort of 'backed' into the percentages that work for me. But I focus more on the grams per day (primarily of fat & protein) than I do the percentages.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

This is basically what I'm doing, except my fat is 0.5g/lb. At 2200 calories, that makes it a ratio of 18% carbs, 34% protein, and 58% fat. However, that ratio is subject to change as I alter my caloric intake (based on weight loss results and changes in activity level) and as my weight changes.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I personally do 45C/35P/20F. At 35P I have enough protein for 1g/lb lean mass, and 45C gives me enough energy to maintain my weight lifting performance. I like the 40/30/30 suggestion someone else provided; then tweak it for your preferences.

I say this all the time but a diet based on the restriction of a particular macro (or worse, a particular food) like keto is a bad idea. It's not a balanced approach and that makes it really hard to keep at it in a consistent, sustainable way. Some people swear by keto and other fads, and certainly may get some results, but I wish they understood the big picture because then they'd know they don't have to restrict anything except their total calories.
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    Options
    I feel better about my approach now. I've been focusing most on calories, balance and exercise. My ratios of C-P-F change regularly, but my calories remain about the same. So far so good. Thanks so much for your responses! Very helpful!
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I aim for around 40C/40P/20F
    Ballpark... not exact
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just to introduce some science into the discussion...
    Here's a table showing the healthy ranges for macros, from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/88/1/1/T1.expansion.html

carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)

Eating higher protein & lower carbs leads to more weight loss.
    Try 45% carbs, 20% fat, 35% protein.
    Links to studies (the abstracts published on PubMed) here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    Options
    Thank you! That is so helpful!
  • IvanOcampo
    IvanOcampo Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As many have said, it depends on your goal and exercise patterns.
    As a general rule, try the following:
    Protein: around 1 gram per pound of body weight.
    Fat: 20-25% of your total calorie needs.
    Carbs: the rest.

This video might be helpful:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa1DOQ2r5MQ&index=3&list=PLiifvwf9Mx_1k-9mDsRRnCEo7aO9Uy3o2