Ugh, it's blaringly obvious!

Options
When I'm at work (Emergency Dept) the problem is the EMS room and complete crap food. It's not even food, it's candy! It's quick and handy and eats up the majority of my calories for the day. Will someone please change the combo for me?!

Replies

• teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I work in the hospital as well, Med Surg and we always have an assortment of junk food readily available. So I bring my own snacks and keep them close to where I chart so that I can grab them and go. I often don't have time to sit down for a meal so I bring healthy meals as well so that I can eat in a hurry and not have to resort to junk.

I get a lot of sugar free puddings, yogurts, string cheese, 100 calorie snacks so with those you don't have to count calories or portions, you know that its 100 calories in that pack.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Be strong, girl! All I can say is, the more and more you pass on that crap food, the easier it gets to pass on it! And once you start seeing those lbs drop off, it will keep you motivated! Good luck!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    I had a client a couple years back who was a hairdresser and couldn't take the time to eat properly during her 10 hours at work.

My recommendation would be to find a palatable (pleasant tasting) protein shake powder that could be used as a meal replacement in a litre sized water bottle that you could sip on through the day. That you keep you fuller and help you avoid the crap food.

Secondly, take the time to bring healthier snaks from home and you'll be less inclinced to eat junk at work.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    One thing that has really helped me is I've found a healthy treat that I really love and look forward to everyday. So, when I'm tempted with crap, I think about how good my snack is and how much healthier it is! (non fat greek yogurt plain, 1/2 scoop of chocolate whey protein and then I top it with different things... almond slices, walnuts, shredded unsweetened coconut, fruit, etc. It's like a dessert!)
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Don't even set that stuff be an option. Don't even consider it "food" - it's not. Walk right past it. Definitely bring your own stuff, and always have it on hand.
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Take your own more healthy options. I have a similar problem at work but I find if I take snacks I will always choose my snack so I know my calorie count. The other thing too.... Avoid, avoid, avoid. If you just can't say no to the crap snacks then avoid that break room altogether, I know that is hard but for me it is all about staying under my calorie count. If it is important to you, then you can do it!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work (Emergency Dept) the problem is the EMS room and complete crap food. It's not even food, it's candy! It's quick and handy and eats up the majority of my calories for the day. Will someone please change the combo for me?!
    I worked in an ER for a few years. even worse I worked 2pm to 1am so after hours the food option really became slim. I finally realized my only hope was to pack a small personal sized cooler with foods I could eat.
  • SlipperySlope
    Options
    I hear you!! I work nights in the ER, too...people looooove to generously donate leftover "food" to our breakroom. I learned that I *must* wake up 15 min early and get a small, filling meal in before I go into the "danger zone!" I also have the healthier snacks like others have mentioned, and I try to log all my calories for the day ahead of time, so I know what I am going to eat before I even get to work.
    Good luck!!
  • Brihammond
    Brihammond Posts: 29
    Options
    You guys are amaaaazzzing! I'm just not going to go in there and I printed out a copy of everything you guys just said!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    get the twizzlers!
  • Diana061
    Diana061 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i work at the Health Dept... I now bring my own snacks.. cheese sticks you can even eat with one hand, almonds, 100 calories snacks.. fruit snacks...
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Really an oxymoron if you think about it coming from a guy whos never worked or known those who have worked at a hospital or health dept. You'd think there would be tons of healthy options in those places specifically, but I guess not?! Pretty lame...
  • Eyoung8
    Eyoung8 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of sugar free puddings, yogurts, string cheese, 100 calorie snacks so with those you don't have to count calories or portions, you know that its 100 calories in that pack.

Those are the most awesome snacks. I buy all of that stuff.
    I also buy Quaker chocolate rice cakes, fiber one and special K cereal bars, fruit cups (fruit in juice or water) and sugar-free applesauce-good stuff!
  • Eyoung8
    Options
    Really an oxymoron if you think about it coming from a guy whos never worked or known those who have worked at a hospital or health dept. You'd think there would be tons of healthy options in those places specifically, but I guess not?! Pretty lame...

Yeah, you are right. Not to make excuses, because there aren't any, but in environments such as those (I am an RN in an inner-city ER) the stress levels run a little (understatement) high sometimes. We "take care" of each other by feeding each other. Comfort foods (like junk-stuff) tend to take the edge off (you know, those "feel-good" hormones are triggered)...but there ARE healthier options that can generate the same effect.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I work at a bowling alley. Everything but the soda is deep fried. I have read all the calorie counts on all the food. I don't even consider it food any more. AND I have to serve it all day long. I've totally just tuned it out.
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    My bf is an ER dr and he swears by protein bars. If he's working overnights, he'll buy a Subway sandwich and scarf it down when he has a chance.
  • Brihammond
    Brihammond Posts: 29
    Options
    e.Young8, I think you just became my new best friend. :) You hit the nail on the head.
  • Eyoung8
    Options
    e.Young8, I think you just became my new best friend. :) You hit the nail on the head.

:bigsmile:
    I understand Brihammond-I'm right there with ya!
    I bring my own stockpile to avoid the "feasts..."

...doesn't always work though...

...workin' on that:smile:
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Another RN here working night shift. The nurses lounge where I work is always fully stocked with mini chocolate candies of all varieties. I used to raid that stash several times a night for "just one more..." Ugh... not anymore. I show up a HUGE bag of snacks... apples, oranges, carrots, cheese sticks, peanut butter, bananas, light lays chips, turkey breast sandwich meat (which I roll up with laughing cow cheese inside), etc. I know I look ridiculous bringing all that in there but honestly if I feel the need to snack I want to make sure I have something healthy to snack on! I know this isn't great but I drink a bit of coffee too... to stay up and because it curbs my appetite!
  • chrisd25d
    chrisd25d Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with having the coffee as long as your not loading it with sugar and generic or full fat creamers? If it's curbing your appetite and giving you the extra oomph to get through the night I don't see anything wrong with some coffee. Of course I work overnights as a police/fire dispatcher so coffee is a mainstay in my diet.