i feel like a drug dealer..................

Options
Hey! My bf is trying to lose weight and has so far lost about 20ish lbs. He goes to the gym and has been eating better. He doesnt log calories or measure food but he has definitely eating better. However, he was using diet pills. I hate it!!!! We argue about this because I know he can do it without the pills. A few years ago, he took a pill and LOST A CRAZY amount. He then found out that the illegal drug was taken off the market bc it had meth or something in it. Now he hasnt had any diet pills in about 2 weeks and he is doing ok. He is def eating better but not as energized about working out as he was on those STUPID pills. Today he wrote down 3 names of pills he wants me to look up and I went on Amazon to see what the cost were. I literally felt like some druggy. Yes, I know these arent "real" drugs but I feel like they are drugs. In the past, he has become jittery and stays up late. He wont listen to me and I have given up . The three diet pills he told me to look at are 1) Asenlix 2) Adipex 3) Phenadrine. Do you guys know of any info about these pills. UGH
Any help please

Replies

• RyanWicklund
    Options
    www.bodybuilding.com has an extensive section on supplements, including reviews and a store.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Most "diet" pills just contain caffeine along with other ingredients. This is pretty much why he was jittery and now doesn't have the energy.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Anything with "-adrine" in it is basically a low dose of speed.
    Be careful.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    While Adipex can work for some people, its results are extremely short lived. In some cases, Adipex can cause more harm than good.I suggest that you stay away from this drug despite the results it may claim.

Adipex actually only works for a few weeks before it suddenly stops promoting weight loss entirely. Sometimes there can be a sudden backswing of weight gain. In addition, users have often complained of allergic reactions, shortness of breath after mild exertion, swelling, chest pain, unusual thoughts or behavior, severe headaches, blurred vision, buzzing in your ears, anxiety, confusion, chest pain, insomnia, uneven heartbeats, and even seizures.

Adipex was first approved by the FDA in 1959. In 1990, Gate Pharmaceuticals began manufacturing phentermine under the brand name Adipex-P. Since then, Adipex has gained mass popularity and has been prescribed to overweight patients with risk factors such as diabetes, high blood pressure or high cholesterol. However, one should keep in mind while Phentermine was actually developed in 1957, no clinical studies have actually been conducted since.
  • Crooks0204
    Crooks0204 Posts: 189
    Options
    The only one I know of is the Adipex. It does work but it also has some very scary side effects. (on the heart!!!)
  • mommyof5kids
    Options
    Adipex is a prescription drug that can cause irregular heart rate, dizziness along with a host of other things.......not good, usually it is prescribed for obese individuals under a doctor's supervision.....
  • tasoconnor
    tasoconnor Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I used adipex about two years ago...don't get me wrong the worked. Lost 45lbs in 8 months, but when I came off it didn't take long for the pounds came back...Now I am trying to do better. I have been taking green tea capsules and vitamin b complex and they give me enough energy to work out.
  • LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I know that adipex is a prescription drug and is an amphetamine. So actually it is a drug...Don't try to buy it online, because whatever you get WILL NOT be actual Adipex....
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    No diet pill is healthy. They all screw with your body in ways that may never reverse. He should check with his doctor before taking anything (internet lies) and have the doctor check his blood pressure and heart rate throughout the use of any pill the doctor approves (if he/she does approve of any).
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Anything with "-adrine" in it is basically a low dose of speed.
    Be careful.
    Not to alarm the OP, but this is sort of true. Caffeine also falls under this category. I think a more apt description is stimulant. However i would be concerned about the long term effects of taking a drug such as Adipex along with a stimulant. That could potentially cause too much of a strain on his heart. If he is willing, my advise would be stop taking them and get checked out by a doctor just to be safe.
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I just called my bf and of course we argued about this topic. I am so sick of this. I told him I would buy him green tea capsules and he wants those STUPID diet pills. UGH.
  • heathhumble
    heathhumble Posts: 178
    Options
    Adipex is a Rx appetite suppressant approved by the FDA. Asenlix was a popular diet pill in the 70's for both men & women .It had positive effects on mood, alertness and reflexes.But due to the side effects it was removed from the US market but is available in Mexico, it is also considered a appetite suppressant. As for Phenadrine one of the main ingredients was caffeine, this can be purchased any where under multiple names. Any one that chooses to take any kind of supplement to manage their weight should talk to their doctor.Why many of these supplements play hell on the body, ie Heart, Blood pressure, Kidneys. I hope this information will help you.Good luck to the both of you.:smile:
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am going to show him this info when he gets home from work.
  • BandMom2
    BandMom2 Posts: 64
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. I just called my bf and of course we argued about this topic. I am so sick of this. I told him I would buy him green tea capsules and he wants those STUPID diet pills. UGH.

So let him buy his own!! Why is he putting you in the middle? Surely he is a big boy and can use the computer all by himself??That way if he has any neg outcome you will know that #1 you tried to warn him #2 you did not play a part in it...