Calorie intake--I know the "normal" range but I am not normal.

Options
First off, sorry for the title but I had no clue what to call it. I am in the process of trying to lose weight. I started going to a gym every day and started using myfitnesspal and loseit both to try and help me in this process. PROBLEM: I have had many health issues and one main health issue was bleeding ulcers due to a rare disorder that I have and because of those ulcers, I have actually had to have part of my stomach removed twice. The first time a third of my stomach was removed. The ulcer was huge and it wouldn't stop bleeding and my hemoglobin got dangerously low and I had to have several blood transfusions before my surgery. The second surgery I had a fourth of my stomach removed. My first surgery was in 2010 and my last one was in 2013 so my stomach had time to "stretch" back out a little bit between the two surgeries. However, since my last one was not THAT long ago (it takes a long time to adjust to that kind of change in the body), I know my stomach is not the "normal" size or the size of someone else's stomach who is my height, age, weight, etc. Due to this, I am very unsure of the number of calories I should be eating per day. I have been trying to get 1200 calories in but it is VERY difficult for me and the main thing the Dr's and Surgeons tell me is NOT to overeat! That could be very catastrophic for me, literally. When I eat under 1200 calories, which is every day, myfitnesspal tells me that I am not eating enough calories. Obviously this is a huge issue for me. Does anyone have any ideas for me? If I find a number of calories from my Dr. or a nutritionist...is there a way to change my intake on here so that it will give me results instead of just telling me that I am not eating enough? PLEASE HELP! Thank you!

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    This wall of text makes me think you need a doctor. You have so many health issues you don't need amateur random internets help.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    This wall of text makes me think you need a doctor. You have so many health issues you don't need amateur random internets help.

This X 11ty billion.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,508 Member
    Options
    You should be consulting a Registered Dietician for assistance on this matter.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yep, what they said.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    There is a simple solution...just don't close off your diary at the end of the day, then MFP will not send the message. All the benefits of logging and no little warning. Go with what your Doctor says, not some random computer site.
  • tls45682
    tls45682 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a Dr. and a Surgeon, and a Gastroenterologist and none seem to be much help at all. The only thing that all 3 of them keep telling me is to "walk and eat healthy and I will lose weight." which seems like a cop out answer to me. :(
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I would think that the size of your stomach won't alter the calorie needs of your body. Eating more calories doesn't have to mean eating more food by volume, you just need to chose more calorie dense options. Avocado, nuts, oils on veg and salads, full fat dairy instead of low fat, dark meat poultry instead of light, less lean cuts of meat. Could your doctor refer you to a registered dietician?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your doctor this.
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no way to get rid of the message saying you are under calories. 1200 is the minimum MFP will let you close your diary with. I would suggest getting some good meal replacers that have vitamins and minerals in them. Also if you can invest in a juicer that would be good. You can get a lot of nutrients with out a lot of bulk. I would work on getting as much nutriently dense foods in you as possible. I would imagine a soft food/liquid type diet may be best for you not to aggravate your stomach problems.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I could hit 1200 calories with very little food, such as peanut butter, avocado, coconut oil etc etc
    But obviously you wouldn't be getting adequate nutrition. I think a registered dietician is your best bet. I wouldn't even begin to know where to start with you, as I am unfamiliar with your conditions.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Yes. Listen to them. Although I can't imagine a doctor suggesting that you have to eat less than 1200 calories a day, no matter what your weight. Is not a surgeon a doctor? Is not a gastro (etc) a doctor? And all three of them are telling you to eat less than 1,200 calories a day?
  • tls45682
    tls45682 Posts: 4
    Options
    THIS IS WHAT I KEPT ASKING ABOUT MY CALORIES.
    I DO NOT THINK I CAN OR SHOULD BE EATING 1200 OR MORE.
    HOWEVER I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO SAFELY CHANGE MY CALORIES ON MYFITNESSPAL OR ANY OTHER APP. frown emoticon
    Recommended Meal Plan for Six Months Post-Surgery and Beyond:
    Continue consuming 900 to 1,000 calories per day
    Decrease to three meals and only one to two snacks per day
    Discontinue taking high-protein liquid supplement drinks
    Increase the variety of low-fat, low-sugar and low-calorie foods, as tolerated
    Avoid raw vegetables, fresh fruits with skins, dried fruits, breads, popcorn, nuts and red meats only if poorly tolerated
    Long-term Dietary Guidelines
    Over time, you will be able to increase the variety and consistency of foods in your diet. Some foods may continue to be poorly tolerated, including red meats, chicken, breads, and high-fiber fruits and vegetables. Focus on low-fat, low-sugar and low-calorie foods and continue to count your calories every day. Try to meet your serving goals for all food groups based on the 900 to 1,000 calories diet plan described above.
    To stay well hydrated, drink at least 2 liters of water or non-caloric fluids daily, unless this is contraindicated due to a medical condition.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    why are you getting frustrated with the above posters?
    You shouldn't be eating or can eat 1200 or more?
    -_-;
    Shouldn't you argue this with a doctor?
    What's the point of asking on the MFP forums...
    I don't know how I can help...The doctor probably gave you an answer anyway.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just don't "complete" your diary, problem solved. There is no need to hit that button, it still saves all your data. I don't get the issue.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tls45682 wrote: »
    THIS IS WHAT I KEPT ASKING ABOUT MY CALORIES.
    I DO NOT THINK I CAN OR SHOULD BE EATING 1200 OR MORE.
    HOWEVER I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO SAFELY CHANGE MY CALORIES ON MYFITNESSPAL OR ANY OTHER APP. frown emoticon
    Recommended Meal Plan for Six Months Post-Surgery and Beyond:
    Continue consuming 900 to 1,000 calories per day
    Decrease to three meals and only one to two snacks per day
    Discontinue taking high-protein liquid supplement drinks
    Increase the variety of low-fat, low-sugar and low-calorie foods, as tolerated
    Avoid raw vegetables, fresh fruits with skins, dried fruits, breads, popcorn, nuts and red meats only if poorly tolerated
    Long-term Dietary Guidelines
    Over time, you will be able to increase the variety and consistency of foods in your diet. Some foods may continue to be poorly tolerated, including red meats, chicken, breads, and high-fiber fruits and vegetables. Focus on low-fat, low-sugar and low-calorie foods and continue to count your calories every day. Try to meet your serving goals for all food groups based on the 900 to 1,000 calories diet plan described above.
    To stay well hydrated, drink at least 2 liters of water or non-caloric fluids daily, unless this is contraindicated due to a medical condition.

Wow. Yeah, ok, well you're hooped on MFP, because at that calorie range its going to whinge everytime you close your daily entries. All you can really do is follow the above advice and ignore the standard MFP warning - trust me, you won't be the only one ignoring that warning! :smiley:

MFP will let you change your goals to that calorie range, though. Just go to "Goals", choose the "Custom" option, and enter the target numbers you want.

Good luck!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MFP won't let you set your goal at 900 or 1000. It's just not going to, no way around it.

Yes, it will.

Just tested it again, to be sure, by changing my own calorie goal to 900.

Df45KkM.png
  • beatrix205
    beatrix205 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    OP, I think consulting a doctor or nutritionist would be the best bet.

As for the under 1200 calorie warning, it stopped appearing for me eventually. Now if I eat within the 1000-1100 calorie range, MFP just completes the entry with a projection instead of displaying the warning first. I think if MFP estimates that less than 1200 calories is still appropriate for your height/weight, then the warning goes away. Regardless, like others have said, always safer to get advice from a real doctor than an Internet app.