Newby at the gym and need help!

Hello! I've signed up for a gym and made myself a fitness plan but I really really really want to have a nice butt and I know that barbell squats are great for toning everything , but I just don't know how to do them and im too scared to ask other people and im not sure exactly what I should do. And Im also not sure what to do with showering after working out because I don't go home until a while after working out so the sweat dries which is disgusting . Anyone have any tips ? Thanks!

Replies

• Kate1368
    Kate1368 Posts: 10 Member
    If there is a specific exercise I want to try, I check out YouTube. I try to watch several different videos, because not everyone who posts a video has a clue about what they are doing. After exercise, you can either shower at the gym or wipe off with babywipes.
  • sunnysparkles16
    sunnysparkles16 Posts: 17 Member
    I've found the "Buff Dudes" YouTube videos to be very helping in explaining how to do certain lifts and also what not to do: https://www.youtube.com/user/buffdudes. Check out the "Single Exercise Tutorials" in their playlist. Good luck - you can do it! :smile:
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2015
    As suggested YouTube or simply googling "exercise" proper form can help. Bodybuilding.com is a great resource as well. Or you can sit back and watch someone doing the exercise as well.

The gym should have a stair stepper and leg extension machine. You can also use a cable machine with legs straps to work the glutes

As for the shower just go use it. They should provide a soap/shampoo combo in the stall. You can also bring your own soap or shampoo. You'll need a towel as well.

The stalls should have some little walls on the side but might not have a door. If you're shy or don't want to be seen naked you can either try to use a corner stall or wear a swimsuit or something.

And remember to keep your eyes up unless you want.t to see things that can never be unseen. Lol

Oh yea FLIP FLOPS or shower sandals. Get a pair
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    The basics of a squat are simple, but getting form perfect takes a lot of practice. Video yourself from the back, front and side and look at it later to see where you need to improve.

The initial cues to consider (do this without weight at first, yes, bodyweight only to learn the form).
    - Feet at shoulder width with toes just slightly out.
    - Head neutral (looking straight ahead, not up or down).
    - Squat down
    - Keep your chest up and head in a neutral position all the way down and up.
    - Your feet should remain solid on the ground, weight balanced across them.
    - Your knees should track out over your second and third toe.
    - If your knees collapse, you start to lean over, or your are not retaining a balanced structure, you’re as low as you need to go. Over time, you should be able to improve mobility and get down below parallel.
    - Drive up, again keeping the weight balanced on your feet.

There are several videos on youtube, compare your movement to those.

Prepare a small shower bag to carry in with you. This should have a small towel (just big enough to dry off), a change of clothes, flip flops and soap (most gyms have soap, but you don’t want to be in a situation where they’re out). You may also consider a shower cap (I obviously don’t have an issue there).

• ianevanyshn
    ianevanyshn Posts: 2 Member
    You shouldn't be shy, most people are glad to help, remember everyone starts somewhere! But YouTube as well as bodybuilding.com has great tutorials that are explained well with visuals.Barbell or dumbell lunges are great exercises as well! Good luck!!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    OP has deactivated their account
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    edited April 2015
    Goblet squats are a great exercise for learning squat technique. They're easy to do and don't require huge weight or a spotter. All of the technical points mentioned above sort of fall into place automatically with these squats.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Buffdudes on YouTube.
  • sarabudic
    sarabudic Posts: 16
    Thank you so much to everyone, this really helped me out. I appreciate it soooo much (: