Eating back calories from exercise

Options
Since I calculated my macros, with the IIFYM tool, and set it to calorie deficit, do I need to not eat back calories from my workouts?

I am confused!

I burn about 400kcal when hitting the gym (according to my polar).

Replies

• klairy1989
    klairy1989 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    And also, do I have to hit my grams every day or just stay below them???
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    1. When you follow TDEE method you don't eat back your exercise calories.
    2. Heart rate monitor is useless when you lift. Hrm is meant for steady state cardio.
  • klairy1989
    Options
    Didn't know that, thank you!
    what about my macros? is it ok to stay below them or do I have to hit them everyday|?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    klairy1989 wrote: »
    what about my macros? is it ok to stay below them or do I have to hit them everyday|?

Well hitting your macro's means you are hitting your calorie goals (unless you don't hit your actual designated macro's).

Doesn't really matter if you hit them precisely.
  • klairy1989
    Options
    For example today, I went over 30grams carbs, under fat and under protein. But I was withing my calorie limit. Is it ok? Or do I need to eat less carbs tomorrow to make it up?

Thank u

Well hitting your macro's means you are hitting your calorie goals (unless you don't hit your actual designated macro's).

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    For example today, I went over 30grams carbs, under fat and under protein. But I was withing my calorie limit. Is it ok? Or do I need to eat less carbs tomorrow to make it up?

Thank u

It's absolutely fine.
  • klairy1989
    Options
    thank you very much for your answer!
  • klairy1989
    Options
    Also, if I don't eat back calories but do eat back macros, isn't the same?
    When I log a workout, I find that my macros are increased (I have more to eat)!

I amconfused :s
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Also, if I don't eat back calories but do eat back macros, isn't the same?
    When I log a workout, I find that my macros are increased (I have more to eat)!

I amconfused :s

Don't log your workouts. TDEE is estimating caloric burn from exercise. MFP doesn't.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    TDEE is already including your workouts. I think of my protein and carbs as minimums, where fats I try to stay around.
  • klairy1989
    Options
    Oh gosh, thank you, you are right! I am new here and I never thought of that.. So I just eat according to TDEE.

Some weeks I may workout 4 times, some 5, do I have to calculate every week differently?
  • klairy1989
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    TDEE is already including your workouts. I think of my protein and carbs as minimums, where fats I try to stay around.

• ch0d0b0y
    ch0d0b0y Posts: 1
    Options
    I had this same question just today. Glad I found this post.
    But I do have a question.
    I am doing the TDEE method and 3-4 days a week that's fine (Mon, Wed, Fri in the gym, Sat 2-3 mile run) but cycling season is here and I will be riding to work Tues and Thurs. It's 20 miles each way and with my current weight (215) I burn 800-1000 cals on the way in and 1200-1400 on the way home (home is more climbing). Shouldn't I be eating at least some extra cal's? Rode today and had an extra shake pre ride AM and seemed fine with usual afternoon snack post PM. So I guess go with how I feel? I'm used to fueling up for ride and recovery shakes.

So I guess my question if I do eat the extra cal's how do I treat them in MFP?

Thoughts.....
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Take all the calories you burn for a week and divide by 7. That is your average TDEE. Eat less than that every day and you'll lose weight.