30DS...ouch...

Options
I finally decided to get started on my 30 day shred video. Was pumped and motivated to begin..had a great workout yesterday. However, I am so sore today. Most likely from the lunges. I tried to do the video today for Day 2 and couldn't. I seriously started having tears coming out of my eyes from pain. I have streched...but what else should i do? I want to be able to continue. The video wasn't that hard. I actually enjoyed it. Just can't move now. Help.

Replies

• littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I'd skip a day or so, if it hurts enough for tears you need to give your body a rest. The first two days of the shred killed me, I took four rest days! I couldn't even squat down without having to sit on my butt it hurt so bad.
  • staywithit
    staywithit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    What size of weights did you use? I find if I start with lower weights and work out with the girl who is doing the easy moves for the first week I have an easier time getting through it. Also just go with every other day until the muscles get used to the new work out. It will get easier
  • 01elizabeth59
    Options
    Don't do it 2 days in a row. You need a day for your muscle to recover. If you are still sore after that maybe give it another day. My daughter and I just had this discussion. She is in school for Athletic Training.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Yeah, by day 3 I was finally able to sit down on the toilet without crying out in pain!
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    I finally decided to get started on my 30 day shred video. Was pumped and motivated to begin..had a great workout yesterday. However, I am so sore today. Most likely from the lunges. I tried to do the video today for Day 2 and couldn't. I seriously started having tears coming out of my eyes from pain. I have streched...but what else should i do? I want to be able to continue. The video wasn't that hard. I actually enjoyed it. Just can't move now. Help.

Best thing you can do for yourself is rest! You don't want to risk an injury if you're in that much pain. And if you do get an injury just imagine how much time you'll not be exercising then!! Give yourself a day and then have a go at it again, if not wait a couple more!
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I would continue. I had same feeling but I kept going just switched the 5lbs of weight to 3 :) It will get better day by day. By the way I am on the 2nd day of the 2nd part and now since it is a different workout it hurt all over my upper legs as the 2nd part of the workout moves different muscles, but will do it no matter what :)
  • MelL1205
    MelL1205 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    i couldn't even finish the workout today on my first day!!!!!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30DS and had only 5 pound weights in my house for the first few days and the one that hit me hard was the anterior raises. I ended up buying a 3 pound set and use them for squats and thrusts in the first set and the anterior raises in the third set. I switch to the 5 pound weights for everything else.

Soreness is to be expected. But true pain is another issue entirely. Give yourself some appropriate rest time for your body to recover and when you do start it back up, remember that form and quality of the movement is more important than the number of repetitions you are doing. Use the modified versions of the moves, but don't push for speed. Focus on holding the correct posture and controlling each movement from the beginning to the end. If it means you only do 6 repetitions in the time it takes them to do 15, well so be it. Six GOOD repetitions are much better than 15 sloppy ones. AND less likely to cause injury. As you build up your muscular strength, you will find that you can do them faster and still with good form. You are learning something new. It takes time for your body to adjust.

I hope you are feeling better quickly and don't let this setback derail your train.
  • rileydi
    rileydi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! One of you said it was painful to sit down on the toilet, that is totally me! I am only using 5lb weights. I do not have lighter ones, maybe I will use a soup can and try again tomorrow! Haha!! I rested up today and look forward to trying again. If I can't bend and squat tomorrow, I am going to hit up the elliptical and tredmill! I am glad I am not the only one that this happened to!