30 pounds in 30 days

Options
Hey guys..so I'm struggling a bit with this weight loss thing. I am 5'2 and I'm 182 pounds...it's horrible to think that I am less than 20 pounds from reaching 200lbs. I cannot live my life counting calories. I tried; it just doesn't work for me. I have tried almost every diet pill and waist quicher that you could think of...and nothing seems to be working. It's getting so bad I even considered bypass surgery. As a child I was very slim; but after having 2 children; the weight came and never left. Alot of you might be thinking that 182lbs isn't that bad...but keep in mind that I'm only 5'2"...and almost a size 15 jeans. I stopped buying jeans a few years ago; because it became depressing going into stores, trying on clothes, and they don't fit. If u look at the rest of my family; I am the biggest one..I just need suggestions on how to lose this weight and quick

Replies

• badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is by eating less than you burn, aka CICO (calories in vs calories out). Losing 30 lbs in 30 days is beyond unhealthy and dangerous.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You're not going to lose that quickly, sorry. And counting calories does work if you do it correctly. Eat at a reasonable deficit (500 calories off your TDEE for a pound a week), log everything as accurately as possible, and be patient. It didn't take you 30 days to gain it.
  • jpkrueger
    jpkrueger Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    If you don't like counting calories, look into the program 21 Day Fix. Google it. I don't sell it. Healthy and sensible way to lose weight.
  • mzpyt29
    mzpyt29 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys...Imma figure something out. Has anybody tried a liquid diet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Throw away ideas of fads and gimmicks

Appreciate that losing weight is about eating less and moving more

Find a programme you can stick to. Calorie counting is the easiest and cheapest route but if you can't make it work for you, find something you can that is CICO packaged up

Weightwatchers
    Slimming world
    5:2 fasting
    Low carb / keto

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately it doesn't matter what diet you try, at the end of the day they all come down to calories in vs calories out.

You could try a vegetable mono diet, where you eat nothing but veggies But most veggies are so low in calories that you would have a hard job eating so many veggies you went over the amount of calories you burned every day, and so you would lose weight with that.

Going for a protein based diet, where you go for mostly protein and limit carbs and such, means that you would be full from the protein so probably wouldn't eat enough to go over the amount of calories you have burned per day, and so you would lose that way.

I am definitely no scientist or nutritionist, but this is my understanding of it, and i could list every single diet with an explanation that, along with regular exercise, they are all basically calories in vs calories out.

Losing that amount in that amount of time is extremely unhealthy. And what happens when you lose it, are you going to go back to eating 'normally'? You will pile it back on in an instant, probably more. That is why MFP promotes a 'life style change', not crash diets.

Not the answer you are looking for, but in my opinion you need to be much more realistic about your goal. Make healthier choices you know you can sustain over a lifetime. Use the mfp calculators to make sure you are eating enough. Do regular exercise to increase the amount you burn.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You don't lose it quickly, you lose it slowly and healthily. Eat less, move more, follow MFP's setup. You are right, 180 and size 15 is not that big, there are a lot of us on here who weigh(ed) a lot more and are making it work. Additionally, I highly doubt any doctor would perform gastric bypass on you at your weight. If you're willing to put in the effort the weight will come off, if you aren't, then it won't. Good luck!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories than you burn. If you aren't losing weight you aren't doing this. If you are gaining weight you are eating more calories than you burn.

It really is that simple.

So, eat less calories than you burn. Do this however you see fit.

Buy pills, drink nothing but liquid broccoli, stand on your head and count to 66,000.

You'll quite quickly come to the realisation that all you need to do is eat the foods you like and remain in a calorie deficit.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    My first month I lost 17 lbs. and this was difficult...The first 10 days was low carb eating between 300-800 calories under my goal. I'm at 35 lbs. lost in 95 days...calories in/calories out..Good luck!!
  • shaythep
    shaythep Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Weight loss takes time. I am 5'3 and I started in January weighing 183 lbs. Now I'm in my 160s. It's just calories in vs. Calories out. Eat less move more.
  • maryawozniak1
    maryawozniak1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Read the Atkins plan. I was put on it for blood pressure and weight loss. I really like it, but one does need to actually read the book. Of course, I am 56 yrs and nutritional requirements are a little different than at your age. Stay focused and positive, you can do it.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Talk to a Naturopathic Doctor...get tested for allergies and hormones and find out why you arent losing weight. I have done that after five kids and found out my autoimmune disease that was discovered six years previous mutated and made it impossible to lose weight..I was actually gaining five to ten pounds a month for a year..going from 182 to 253 pounds. Thankfully I now am on the right track and losing inches and weight. Talk to a doctor, ask to be tested, then follow a plan, you will lose the weight.
  • palmzilla86
    palmzilla86 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There's no quick fix to your weight issue unfortunately. Fad diets are only going to help you temporarily because you need an eating habit that will help you lose AND maintain for the rest of your life. I don't think a pound a day is realistic unless you plan to starve yourself, which is actually pretty counterproductive because putting your body in starvation mode actually makes it HARDER to lose weight.

Like everyone has said the only way to lose is to consume calories at a deficit. I'm unsure of how you can do that if you don't wish to count your calories. Unfortunately saying "counting calories is just not for me" is an excuse that you've convinced yourself is acceptable and it's not. With apps such as this it only takes minutes of your day to monitor what you're eating.

but even still, simply changing your eating habits will yield great results. When I first began I didn't count calories I simply focused on one thing at a time. I followed clean diet and within the first month I had lost 15 pounds without even trying. I eventually added exercise and started counting my calories and now I'm 6 months down the road in the best shape of my life with no intentions of ever harming my body in the way I did before. You can do it too, but first you need to understand this is a lifestyle change and it cannot be done over night just as your current habits were not made over night.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Talk to a Naturopathic Doctor...get tested for allergies and hormones and find out why you arent losing weight. I have done that after five kids and found out my autoimmune disease that was discovered six years previous mutated and made it impossible to lose weight..I was actually gaining five to ten pounds a month for a year..going from 182 to 253 pounds. Thankfully I now am on the right track and losing inches and weight. Talk to a doctor, ask to be tested, then follow a plan, you will lose the weight.

Just eat at a calorie deficit.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    At 182lb any more than an 8lb loss in 30 days would be exceptionally taxing and dangerous for your body imo.
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Could someone explain why it's unhealthy to lose weight quickly please ?
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    if u have tried every fad diet why even suggest a liquid diet? are u willing to do that but not count calories? i totally understand though i have tried many 'quick fix' diets aswell. but for once i decided maybe it's not only about the number on the scale..maybe it's about being healthy and fit. thats can really change your mindset. good luck. u have to really really want it.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    A liquid diet isn't going to help you either. You need to find something sustainable that will help you change your eating habits. Otherwise you are going to lose a little bit and once you stop the diet it's going to come right back on. That's because it's not going to teach you anything about portion control or how to maintain a calorie deficit. Counting calories does work as long as you set a reasonable calorie deficit and make sure that your food log is accurate.

It would also benefit you to be more patient and adjust your expectations. Instead of trying to lose 30 pounds in a month, aim for a pound a week. You didn't gain the weight in a month and you won't lose it all in a month either. It might feel like a long time but if you really want to lose the weight and keep it off it's worth the wait.

• EliB1533
    EliB1533 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 21 day Fix and it's really awesome for portion control and eating the right things. I've also been doing the workouts and I also do Insanity Live classes. I haven't lost much weight but I've lost a lot of inches. You should seriously consider not looking at the scale and focus on how YOU feel. The scale is only telling you one number, it's not telling you your body fat %. Just eat right and move. No fad diets, those aren't going to help you one bit, but cause you to Yo-Yo in your weight and probably make you feel extremely sick and deprived. It's all about progress and it's not a fast progress.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    mzpyt29 wrote: »
    I cannot live my life counting calories. I tried; it just doesn't work for me. I have tried almost every diet pill and waist quicher that you could think of...and nothing seems to be working. It's getting so bad I even considered bypass surgery.

sounds to me you are just looking for quick fixes. you probably counted calories for a little bit. it's hard because it works. if you stuck with it for longer than 60 days, you'd figure that out.