1/2 Marathon Recovery?

Options
So I ran my first half marathon on Sunday. I was excited that I did it under 3 hours (2:49:27 to be exact!) I know that some people wouldn't be proud of that, but I AM! I, me, Jennifer Bennett, ran a half marathon. ME! :)

Anyways, my question is this...is my body supposed to feel this exhausted? I mean it hurts to laugh, my legs feel like steal, my feet hurt! It hurts to walk. I just hurt.

Any advice? Any tips? Is this normal?

I still can't get over the fact that I did it and that I can't wait to do it again!

Replies

• moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    Bump. I'm running a 10 mile in June, and my first half- in Oct. Anxious to know what to expect. CONGRATS, by the way!
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    THANKS! and good luck during your run!
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hurt pretty bad for a couple days after mine. You should be raring to go in a few short days. Congrats on finishing the half!!
  • Meguiars
    Meguiars Posts: 1
    Options
    Drink plenty of water. Stretch and continue to run, even if it is just a slow 10min mile run. Are you taking a multiple vitamin and minerals? Oh and get a massage to flush the lactic acid out or just sit in the hot tub! Congrats!!!
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    Meg: 10 minute mile run is FAST for me! LOL! I am a slow poke! I ran a 12;57 minute mile run on Sunday. THanks for the tips though, going to fill up the bathtub right now! :) Oh and I am going to do a slow jog tomorrow. THANKS AGAIN!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 1st half!
    Soreness is to be expected. Get out & walk a little, loosen those muscles up. I actually just got done soaking my feet in an ice bath, from running a full on sunday. That helped.
    Little tip though, add the ice slowly to the water after your feet are in, that way you can gradually make it colder so that it doesn't sting with pain.
  • AmandaB2229
    AmandaB2229 Posts: 29
    Options
    Congratulations! I've just started running myself and am doing my first 5K on Saturday...hopefully I'll be able to work myself up to a 1/2 marathon some day...something to strive for I suppose!
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    ICE BATH BABY! hehe, I ran my first marathon last year and after I ran any 10+ miles I'd always ice bath right after when I got home from my run. I think it's normal, If I didn't I couldn't bend over and pick stuff up, I was like super old man status!! HANG IN THERE and WAY TO GO YOURE AWESOME!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Going out for a slow easy jog might help some too. My quads hurt so bad after my first 1/2 marathon that I could barely walk.....but I went on a trip and was forced to sprint through the airport in Phoenix to catch my connection and ta da! I felt a lot better afterwards.
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips and support! I am going to talk a slow jog today after school. I think one problem is I didn't buy new brooks and my shoes probably have over 200 miles on them!
    GOING tomorrow night to buy new ones.
    Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips and support! I am going to talk a slow jog today after school. I think one problem is I didn't buy new brooks and my shoes probably have over 200 miles on them!
    GOING tomorrow night to buy new ones.
    Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on the race. I agree with walking and jogging to help your recovery. Your shoes should probably be ok at 200 miles (I can get 400 miles out each pair of Brooks).
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half ;-) You did fantastic! You should be proud. And your time was nothing to sneeze at.

I did my first half on March 27 and I had "staggered" goals. My main goal was to finish the whole thing in 1 piece. Then my "I can be content if I finished at this time goal" was to finish in less than 3 hours. Then my "realistic/target - this is what I'm aiming for goal" was to finish in 2:36-2:45 (I finished in 2 hours 42 minutes ;-). My "secret and ambitious goal was to finish in 2:30-2:36.

Way to go! It's an accomplishment you can really be proud of.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half! I just signed up for my first one, it's not until October but I'm really excited :)