falafel!

Options
kayemme
kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
7AFkC.jpg

okay, the falafel is in the bowl in the back.

from left to right, back to front:

lettuce, falafel tziziki, hot sauce, pepperoncini, kalamata olives, shredded carrot, feta & cilantro / roasted poblano hummus.

everything was home made from scratch except the pita, which i normally make but was out of wheat flour and time.

Replies

• Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMM Falafel My last fried food hold-out.. I tried baking it but it's just not the same! Hope you enjoyed! Well for a test it looked pretty good even if you couldn't see any of the actual falafel.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    When you baked your falafel, did you spray it with cooking spray? I have never deep fried my own falafel, just pan fried, so this was easier and about the same texture.

I chose the brand of falafel that was just beans and spices (the other brand had a lot of wheat flour) and it is soooooooo peppery that I added a whole can of chickpeas to a half box of mix. If I wanted to get out the food processor, I would have just made from scratch in the first place!!
  • kayemme
    Options
  • kayemme
    Options
    i didn't bake them, i fried them but i made them from scratch (even from dried beans originally).

all the herbs were from my garden, strictly organic. the beans may be organic, but i can't remember. i buy them in bulk. they're about 50 calories each and i put 2 on a half a pita.
  • Mrs_Brackett
    Mrs_Brackett Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    There is a falafel in the health food refrigerated section by Veggie Patch that is awesome! You can heat it in a toaster oven or in the microwave. Its 180 calories for 4 falafel balls. Its great with a salad and it takes care of that fried food craving.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I freaking love falafel and I don't care if it's fried.
  • kayemme
    Options
    and yeah, baking it just isn't the same at all. it's okay, but with so many fresh ingredients in its wake, why worry?