Food ideals

Options
Vieva91
Vieva91 Posts: 16 Member
okay, this is my first time trying to actually loose weight. I have an overall idea of what I should eat but I need help with food pairings and a variety! I need help! I'm at the gym often and I'd hate to work out for nothing

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Food is such an individual thing it's hard to give recommendations. What I like might not be what you like. What's important is to log all of the food you eat accurately and stay within your calorie goal. Try and make the majority of your diet whole, nutrient dense foods (meat, vegetables etc.) -- but don't go out and buy a bunch of "healthy" foods you don't like just because that's what you think you should be eating -- stick to the foods you know you like to eat.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Stay within your calorie limit and for balance, try to include some protein, healthy fats and carbs into each meal for satiety
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I would look up some lower calorie recipes on sites like skinnytaste.com, eatingwell.com, allrecipes.com, etc. Reading through recipes is a great way to get common pairings of food.
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    I agree. I've been successful in eating healthier and enjoying what I eat by learning some fundamentals about nutrition. For instance, I can go to various food and recipe pages and look for new ideas, and when something looks interesting I'll go through the ingredients and make sure everything in it works for me.

As you learn more about food choices, flavors that work well together, and if you like, cooking, you'll be able to substitute different things. Saturday a recipe called for bread crumbs. I used Grape Nuts instead and it worked really well. Overall, eat a variety, don't make yourself miserable forcing yourself to eat foods you don't enjoy, and be honest with yourself about what and how much you are eating.

Best of luck!
    Brandon
  • Vieva91
    Options
    I agree. I've been successful in eating healthier and enjoying what I eat by learning some fundamentals about nutrition. For instance, I can go to various food and recipe pages and look for new ideas, and when something looks interesting I'll go through the ingredients and make sure everything in it works for me.

As you learn more about food choices, flavors that work well together, and if you like, cooking, you'll be able to substitute different things. Saturday a recipe called for bread crumbs. I used Grape Nuts instead and it worked really well. Overall, eat a variety, don't make yourself miserable forcing yourself to eat foods you don't enjoy, and be honest with yourself about what and how much you are eating.

Best of luck!
    Brandon

Thanks so much for the tip!! I literally have no idea but I'm trying to learn.
    It'll all come together
  • Vieva91
    Options
    I would look up some lower calorie recipes on sites like skinnytaste.com, eatingwell.com, allrecipes.com, etc. Reading through recipes is a great way to get common pairings of food.

Those websites are helpful, I've heard of skinny taste and I believe I've used a recipe from there. I will check them all out, thanks again.
  • LyricUnique7
    Options
    I'm just starting out. And I was skimming through to get ideas as well. I've been doing great tho I'm picky so I stick to mainly domain lettuce spinach broccoli cabbage and string beans. I really hate vegetables. Oh Yea and eggplant. Its definitely gonna pay off good luck to you!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what "working out for nothing" means. Exercise helps increase how mcuh food you can eat and benefits your health. Calorie deficit leads to weight loss.

So eat any combination of foods you'd like, eat any foods you would like, and eat them within your caloric needs which includes at least half of your logged exercise calories.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can also pre log your food (either for the day or for a few days). This gives you the flexibility to change things before you eat them.
  • iamfashiontribes
    iamfashiontribes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    For me personally I've found focusing on protein first helps me feel full. For a snack, I love low fat (but not nf) cottage cheese w/ fro blueberries for example as it lasts for a while. (Protein+fiber+a little fat seems to do the trick). I also to go to guys' bodybuilding sites and Men's Health for recipe ideas as those guys focus on higher protein & lower fat. If the calorie count/serving of a recipe is too high, there's generally an ingredient in it you can cut back on, like cheese. Anyway, good luck & stick with it!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Google is your friend. Just pick and ingredient or two and add the word 'recipe' to any search. For example, 'sweet potato red cabbage recipe' comes up with a whole passel of ideas.
  • Vieva91
    Options
    For me personally I've found focusing on protein first helps me feel full. For a snack, I love low fat (but not nf) cottage cheese w/ fro blueberries for example as it lasts for a while. (Protein+fiber+a little fat seems to do the trick). I also to go to guys' bodybuilding sites and Men's Health for recipe ideas as those guys focus on higher protein & lower fat. If the calorie count/serving of a recipe is too high, there's generally an ingredient in it you can cut back on, like cheese. Anyway, good luck & stick with it!

Thanks so much !!!
  • Vieva91
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    You can also pre log your food (either for the day or for a few days). This gives you the flexibility to change things before you eat them.

Sounds like a great idea
  • Vieva91
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I don't understand what "working out for nothing" means. Exercise helps increase how mcuh food you can eat and benefits your health. Calorie deficit leads to weight loss.

So eat any combination of foods you'd like, eat any foods you would like, and eat them within your caloric needs which includes at least half of your logged exercise calories.

I love the exercise, It's just that I literally have 0 clue about nutrition and food to eat. Thanks for the help!!