30 pounds in 30 days

2»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    mzpyt29 wrote: »
    I cannot live my life counting calories. I tried; it just doesn't work for me. I have tried almost every diet pill and waist quicher that you could think of...and nothing seems to be working. It's getting so bad I even considered bypass surgery.

sounds to me you are just looking for quick fixes. you probably counted calories for a little bit. it's hard because it works. if you stuck with it for longer than 60 days, you'd figure that out.
  • The reason losing weight "quickly" tends to be unhealthy (unless you are severely obese and have a medical directive of "lose or die"), is because IN THE END it IS NOT about the scale moving -
    YES, you want the scale to move, BUT what part of your mass you are losing matters more. When you lose MASS quickly, the first part that you tend to lose is LEAN TISSUE, which in the end IS YOUR MUSCLE MASS/ METABOLISM.

So, why people YO-YO- is they restrict calories to unhealthy level, lose lean mass, tank their metabolism and as soon as they eat close to normal, the weight comes back WITH A vengeance, because now your metabolism has slowed even further.

And calorie - reduction works is as much as YOU EAT REAL FOOD. You cannot simply calorie count garbage - this too starves your body. Learn to WORK WITH YOUR BODY. Think: does what I am eating provide nourishment or not?

I weigh my clients with a scale that measures composition. As a trainer I have had people in my program -lose up to 10 pounds in a week - BY ACCIDENT - I literally had to UP THEIR FOOD INTAKE, because I knew they were not losing FAT but CRITICAL LEAN MASS.

This is HARD, but try to think about eating to build lean mass, not so much to lose fat - there are programs out there for sure - the healthiest are NOT super restrictive, and tell you to eat 5-6 small/meals/snack daily with A PROTEIN SOURCE at each meal. This will help regulate your insulin uptake - but remember, as you change, it gets harder, before it gets easier. Do not be discouraged. I also tell people, if they are doing it the right way, you have have 8-12 weeks before you "see" the true benefit of what you are doing.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Just eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    You're getting some great advice here. Basically folks are saying: you didn't get fat in 30 days, you can't lose it in 30 days. There are NO quick fixes.
    Eat a REASONABLE diet with a REASONABLE deficit and be patient. That's the secret.

If you feel like you need guidance in what to eat, there's nothing wrong with a formal diet as an educational tool. But don't do something silly like a "liquid diet". Learn to eat for life.
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    canoepug wrote: »
    Could someone explain why it's unhealthy to lose weight quickly please ?

It isn't to a degree. However, once you get past the initial fluid loss, which accounts for the majority of early weight loss, you're looking at generating a 3,500 Kcal deficit a week to lose a pound. Given that most people require 10-20,000 a week just to maintain, there's only so much room to manoeuvre.

Thanks :) This is really what I thought,I just wondered if there was actual proof that it could be harmful
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    jpkrueger wrote: »
    If you don't like counting calories, look into the program 21 Day Fix. Google it. I don't sell it. Healthy and sensible way to lose weight.
    One doesn't need to pay a bunch of money to learn how to put food in containers for measurement (which is what 21 day fix is based around). And diet programs are usually temporary fixes. ANY diet plan works when followed. The problem is when people get off them since most people can't do it for life.
    So the change should be a program then can do for life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    I cannot live my life counting calories.

Fine. So make up a chart of what you're going to eat every day of your life. Breakfast: Whatever you want to eat that's 400 calories. Lunch: Whatever you want to eat that's 400 calories. Dinner: Whatever you want to eat that's 400 calories. Snack: Whatever you want to each that's a total of 300 calories.

Eat the same 1,500 calories every single day and you'll never have to count calories again.
  • ninerbuff
    Talk to a Naturopathic Doctor...get tested for allergies and hormones and find out why you arent losing weight. I have done that after five kids and found out my autoimmune disease that was discovered six years previous mutated and made it impossible to lose weight..I was actually gaining five to ten pounds a month for a year..going from 182 to 253 pounds. Thankfully I now am on the right track and losing inches and weight. Talk to a doctor, ask to be tested, then follow a plan, you will lose the weight.
    If your autoimmune disease wasn't verified by an actual Allergist or Immunizologist, I'd be weary about diagnosis. Lots of Naturopathic Doctors aren't licensed hence they can't practice medicine itself.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Naturopathic doctors

LOL
  • ninerbuff
    Read the Atkins plan. I was put on it for blood pressure and weight loss. I really like it, but one does need to actually read the book. Of course, I am 56 yrs and nutritional requirements are a little different than at your age. Stay focused and positive, you can do it.
    Banishing carbs is a tough approach for many. High blood pressure is usually hereditary and weight loss comes down to calorie deficit regardless of what diet plan someone does.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    I cannot live my life counting calories. I tried; it just doesn't work for me.
    NOT counting calories is why you're overweight in the first place. Sorry to be blunt, but it's true for you and many of the other of millions of people who are too.
    You CAN do it if you really want to. There really isn't CAN'T. There is "will not" or "refuse". You actually get to make the choice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Hey guys..so I'm struggling a bit with this weight loss thing. I am 5'2 and I'm 182 pounds...it's horrible to think that I am less than 20 pounds from reaching 200lbs. I cannot live my life counting calories. I tried; it just doesn't work for me. I have tried almost every diet pill and waist quicher that you could think of...and nothing seems to be working. It's getting so bad I even considered bypass surgery. As a child I was very slim; but after having 2 children; the weight came and never left. Alot of you might be thinking that 182lbs isn't that bad...but keep in mind that I'm only 5'2"...and almost a size 15 jeans. I stopped buying jeans a few years ago; because it became depressing going into stores, trying on clothes, and they don't fit. If u look at the rest of my family; I am the biggest one..I just need suggestions on how to lose this weight and quick

You don't have to count for the rest of your life. But I can guarantee you that you will benefit from counting for a while.

If you don't want to count right now, here's a couple suggestions - but you really, really need to count if you want to lose the weight consistently. Keep in mind that the suggestions below don't guarantee a thing - they're just food for thought. I, personally, felt more comfortable changing my eating habits a little before I really started counting.
    • What beverages do you consume? When you're thirsty, are you going for soda or juice? If so, try a glass of water instead of 1 of the sodas or juices. If you don't like plain water, add a little lemon or a 0 calorie flavor pack, like Crystal Light.
    • What do you snack on? Do you sit with a bag of chips and munch on it while watching TV? Try putting the chips in a small bowl or switching to a lower calorie snack, like veggies.

I found myself always going for chocolatey and/or sugary things when I wanted snacks (protein or fiber bars with chocolate, chocolate granola, etc). I have since really tried to switch to veggies, fruit and things like cheese & crackers for my snacks - reserving chocolate for desserts most of the time. It was a really good choice for me, but that doesn't mean you have to do the same.

Everyone is a little different and you need to put forth the effort to find what works for you.

~Lyssa
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    You didn't gain it in a month, so don't expect it to come off in a month. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose.
  • If everything else has failed, give it a try to the ketogenic diet! You won't release 30 lbs in 30 days, but you'll see you release the weight pretty fast and in a healthy way.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited April 2015
    You're gonna have to count calories if you get the surgery, right? Why not just do it now? It works. It really works where the fad shenanigans are all bunk and surgery carries excessive danger risk.

Oh - and forget about "quick". That's a recipe for disaster. Guaranteed.