What!? I'm a runner? No way!

Options
I have never been athletic. At all. I was convinced that I was allergic to exercise. I started gaining extra weight at puberty (Puberty is a jerk. And a dumb word.) and strugged with it until recently. I'm not sure what clicked. Maybe it was my husband getting fit and making remarks in admiration of people with very strong bodies (not in a creepy way). He used to be a runner and had to give it up after a serious injury. I had never been able to wrap my head around running for pleasure. Like math or sheet music. It was a total mystery to me.
A couple years ago we went down to one car. When hubs has to drive somewhere I just walk to work. Or class. Or the store. Kinda everywhere really. And I loved it. It got easier and easier to endure longer walks. Over the course of a year I got to the point of walking 8 or 10 miles. But that takes a lot of time and I don't have a lot to spare. The only way I could figure to increase the intensity of my walking was to run! And I started out in short bursts. It was pretty brutal but not like it was in high school PE class 20 years ago! It didn't hurt so much and something in my head wouldn't let me quit.
Today is the day I have realized that I'm a runner. It's a rainy Easter Sunday so I went to the gym for a treadmill run. When my timer was up, I didn't want to stop. I felt like I could run forever. I forced myself away and I'm already looking forward to my next running day.
Last week I got some new running gear in the mail. I don't have to wear my husbands old stuff anymore. I have things that fit me. Also my body is starting to look different. My husband can't keep his eyes off me.
I don't even know who I am anymore. Give me some math homework or sheet music to sing from. I'll bet I can do anything now!

Replies

• walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    What a lovely and inspirational post! Congratulations from one runner to another!
  • goldenstone01
    goldenstone01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Nice. I am trying to get into running. I'm asthmatic so I have to take it easy. Just moved to a new town, so I'm looking for a good park that I can bring my kids so I can run. I do have a 16 year old that can watch the other two. It is so refreshing to do. I always feel and think better after a great workout. Please let me know if you have any tips. It will be greatly appreciated.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I love this. So inspirationnal. Thanks for sharing!
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love this. :)

I was the same way. The only time I ran in high school was when I had to make up skipped gym classes. I think it was two miles on the track for each class. I had a lot to make up, so I had to run some of it.

It still boggles my mind when I wake up early on a weekend to pay money to run a race. Who am I?!
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @goldenstone01 my best advice would be to go slow. In both progress and speed. It was learning the difference in how my body feels when jogging slow versus running and learning to just let myself be slow that did the most for me. Also focusing on form. Loose wrists and shoulders, chest up, leaning slightly forward to reduce your heel strike. Treadmill running is really good to practice form because there are no safety issues or distractions. You can learn to just listen to your body and make tweaks here and there. When I'm in a run I like to imagine that I am not part of my body, but I am operating a machine. Getting outside yourself helps a lot. I know that sounds strange but a whole lot of it is mind games in the beginning. Read a book about chi running or zen running... Not that you have to practice all those techniques but like I said- most of the pains are in your head at first.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    walleymama wrote: »
    What a lovely and inspirational post! Congratulations from one runner to another!

I second this! From another runner, kudos! :) Congrats!

• Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • goldenstone01
    goldenstone01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @big_lindsay Thank you.
  • Arduinna4
    Arduinna4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Lovely story! I just started running (or try to jog to be precise) and i love the feeling! It's highly addictive i can't wait for the next time!Congratulations and keep it up!
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    last time I jogged I did it steady for two years and never really got to where you are with enjoying it.
    It helps to find something that you enjoy doing, so you will keep at it
  • jwschutz
    jwschutz Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I started taking long hikes a few years ago, and like you, I was spending a lot of time hiking and needed something more. I started running when I was far enough away from the trail head where the people started to thin out, it was more being self conscious about running (not being a runner) than anything else. I would run the flats and the downhills, and found that I really did like running. The other thing I realized along the way was that runners are pretty nice people.
  • _Risko_
    _Risko_ Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    LOL... thanks. I "found" running (but mostly walking now) a few years ago and somehow surprise myself overtime I sign up for a marathon. I do 3-4 marathons a year. It really is a joy to do. Good luck!!
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm still waiting for that moment. A friend of mine who is a serious runner says you need to force yourself to run until you suddenly realise you actually enjoy it... I am running, but dragging myself each time. Lovely post. :smile:

x
  • brokebackmotors
    brokebackmotors Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Nice! And, echoing your and most comments above. I despised running. But, now I know that's because I was doing it wrong. I wasn't taking enough time to warm up. My form sucked. (not that it's great now, but better) Had the wrong kind of shoes. Etc. Etc.

Not trying to do a plug here, but a friend recommended it to me so I'll pass it on as it's been a great help for me. Grab a sub of Runners World. Dirt cheap & packed with lots of info.
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Options
    Thanks @brokebackmotors I actually do read that at the library. It's a very helpful magazine.
  • mrsjatty
    mrsjatty Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You never know who is reading and who you might kick start in to action. I started C25K today after reading this. Thank you, I was so shocked I could (shuffle) all 8 run sections. B)
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Love your post.... ;-) Couldn´t stop smiling when I read it. Can you believe I felt the same way the other day,- when I by mistake did day one week 4 in c25k. First day of running 5 minutes. Have been running week 3 over and over Again. But I did it and felt amazing... hehe. One fine day I might be a runner like you ;-) congrats... you sound so happy
  • Incy_Wincy
    Incy_Wincy Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    @big_lindsay that's wonderful :smile: I've just started running with the C25K app ( @abelcat1 I did week 4 day 1 a couple of days ago too!) - I hope to enjoy it as much as you! Keep up the good work
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I went for a walk run walk today- I hope I can be like you one day. I ALWAYS admire runners. Congratulations!
  • Lindsay_the_great
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @amberjeffrey38 you just totally made my day! Stick with it everyone. The rewards will come. <3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!