How do you stay motivated?

Options
Hello everybody!

So, I've been counting calories, eating as healthy as possible for almost a month now, and I was doing really well up until a today. Today I had around 1600 calories instead of 1200 and I ate cookies and even a cupcake. And I've been feeling a lot less motivated the past couple of days and I feel like I'm gonna go back to my old eating habits. I've been having major cravings for sweets and there are always sweets at home because I live with my family and they won't give them up.

I really don't want to give up and I don't want to go back to my old eating habits and I'm just really scared.

What can I do to stay motivated and get my mind off of food and how do you do it?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    How do I NOT stay motivated, after seeing so much change, feeling better, looking better...? I don't know. Fit sweets into your day. Don't beat yourself up for eating a whole 1600 calories on a holiday. Keep going.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It's not so much about staying motivated as building new habits. Once it becomes a habit, it's hard not to do it. And eating one day at maintenance, especially on a holiday, is not a big deal. Just get back to it tomorrow. Don't undereat to compensate, just back to usual habits.

And like the other poster said, learn to fit some sweets into your daily goal if you like it.

To keep my mind off food, I keep it focused on other things... I exercise, read, play engaging computer games. Find an enjoyable hobby that will distract you.
  • penny0207
    penny0207 Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hello everybody!

So, I've been counting calories, eating as healthy as possible for almost a month now, and I was doing really well up until a today. Today I had around 1600 calories instead of 1200 and I ate cookies and even a cupcake. And I've been feeling a lot less motivated the past couple of days and I feel like I'm gonna go back to my old eating habits. I've been having major cravings for sweets and there are always sweets at home because I live with my family and they won't give them up.

I really don't want to give up and I don't want to go back to my old eating habits and I'm just really scared.

What can I do to stay motivated and get my mind off of food and how do you do it?

Honestly, it does take hard work. You just have to take it day by day. Wake up in the morning and tell yourself "You can do this!" Try to picture yourself a year from now after losing your weight.
    And you can have sweets! There are lots of sugar-free stuff out there that is awesome. My favorite is low calorie dark chocolate Jello pudding. It keeps my sweet tooth in check!
    Keep working hard - the pay off at the end will be worth it!!!!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I've lost 100 + lbs. I eat whatever I want on holidays and birthdays. I go out to dinner every 2-3 weeks w my hubby. I workout 5-6 days a week. I've also taken months off. Not everydays perfect, and your not gonna want to be on here everyday. Just do your best and realise its better to work on loosing weight then staying miserable.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!
    I know I can squeeze sweets here and there, although we don't really have the sugar free stuff in my country, it's just that it's really hard for me mentally to not binge. Plus when I eat sweets or go over my calorie goal even once, it's so hard to get back especially when I just think about food that much. It's basically an obsession.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I think part of my advantage was my personality as im stubborn and determined, but I prepared well, got the knowledge I needed, took responsibility, focused and commited. Mindset is very important, it feels like a diet, but really more a change of lifestyle which involves eating less than my body needs and then supporting it with exercise. I was encouraged when I started losing weight and that takes over. Im enjoying watching the improvements. One of the things I think thats important is to take the diet by the scruff of the neck and own it, having control and staying on top instead of a victim gives you much more confidence and makes it more manageable.

Another aspect is I am always my best friend and never panic. You need o find a strategy to deal with the sweet tooth other than just hanging on. When I got home last night I ate chocolate fudge, but id made sure id earned it by working hard at the gym. Most people fit their treats in so they are still part of what they have to enjoy, but they work them into their calorie allowance. Search for sweet tooth and youll find lots of peoples alternatives. Once you get results then you fight to protect them. 400 calories is very little, just over 1/10 of a lb. Keep at it.