Gluten-free pasta

Options
Gidzmo
Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
Don't know if this is available for everyone, but the stuff does taste good. Nasoya Pasta Zero is made with the root of the konjac plant (aka Konnyaku potato). I've tried it instead of ramen noodles.

Only 15 calories a serving and gluten-free (but it's packaged in water and must be refrigerated). Compared to regular pasta: 220 calories vs. 15 calories per serving. They are fairly neutral (sort of like tofu that way). You don't even have to cook them (just heat 1-2 minutes in the microwave if you want hot noodles).

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Aren't those like the shirataki miracle noodles?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    If you like them, go for it.
    The only way I liked them was with a cream sauce recipe that came with the package.
  • Gidzmo
    Options
    A cream sauce that came with the package? Never saw that. The store keeps them in the refrigerator section, near the produce.

Miracle noodles? No, no "miracle" listed on the label.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    They aren't labeled "miracle" noodles; they're just marketed that way on the internet. Do they smell sort of fishy and do you need to rinse them a lot before you cook them?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    People doing keto might use these because they are low carb.
    The recipe I saw was printed on the package -- something like cream cheese, sour cream, and something else I can't remember --- kind of like a quick and easy Fettuccine Alfredo.
    Here is a quick and easy recipe from amazon:

==============
    Rinsed the miracle noodles for 2+ minutes, and patted dry on paper towels. Cut with large kitchen knife.

Sauteed half of an onion in pam no fat cooking spray.

Dumped the noodles in with the onions and let cook over low-medium heat for a few minutes.

Put in half a teaspoon of peanut butter (really, a very small amount), let it melt over the noodles.

Put in about 2 T of ginger soy sauce.

Put in about 1 Tablespoon of hot sauce.

Chopped up about 8 leaves of fresh basil and threw them on top.
  • Gidzmo
    Options
    They aren't labeled "miracle" noodles; they're just marketed that way on the internet. Do they smell sort of fishy and do you need to rinse them a lot before you cook them?

No, the noodles I posted about are made with the konjac plant (aka Konnyaku potato). Rinsing is optional, unless the slight "earthy smell" bothers you.

I've seen these noodles available as fettucine and spaghetti.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I used to eat these - it's merely another brand of the shiitaki noodles with a bit of flair, but with flavors and produced by another brand. In my opinion they're a bit better in terms of texture and flavor....but i'd much rather eat pasta for both the flavor and health/weight benefits.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I'll just stick to rice and corn/quinoa noodles :/
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini or sweet potato noodles. Those packaged GF noodles make me feel like crap.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I use zucchini or sweet potato noodles. Those packaged GF noodles make me feel like crap.

/\ /\ /\
    Agree with @tat2cookie
  • Gidzmo
    Options
    I'd like to find one of those little devices that turn veggies into noodles.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Can you order things off Amazon? Or I've heard people found them in Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I got my Vegetti off Amazon, because the shopping center where the Bed, Bath & Beyond is has the worst parking lot in the history of ever.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    My sister has tried many different GF noodles, she said these are delicious

http://www.amazon.com/Explore-Asian-Fettuccini-Organic-Edamame/dp/B004UB9P38
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I use the pamper chef Jullian peeler. I'd like to get the one that does the different sizes though.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    My sister has tried many different GF noodles, she said these are delicious

http://www.amazon.com/Explore-Asian-Fettuccini-Organic-Edamame/dp/B004UB9P38

I love those sooooo very much. I'm a vegetarian. I eat them quite regularly. Spectacular protein and fiber content. That particular listing has the wrong nutritional information.

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like brown rice pasta
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options

Me too - I've been eating them for over 15 years (I have a HUGE Asian grocery store near me), but I really prefer using my spiralizer and making vegetable noodles.

www.inspiralized.com has the best recipes
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Personally, I like mixing that Explore Asian bean pasta with the spiralized veggie pasta. I get a complete, protein-packed meal that way... plus it's a huge amount of food on days where I might be feeling particularly hungry.
  • Gidzmo
    Options

Me too - I've been eating them for over 15 years (I have a HUGE Asian grocery store near me), but I really prefer using my spiralizer and making vegetable noodles.

www.inspiralized.com has the best recipes

Now that you mentioned it, I think we have such a place near me, too.

• Gidzmo
    Options
    Can you order things off Amazon? Or I've heard people found them in Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I got my Vegetti off Amazon, because the shopping center where the Bed, Bath & Beyond is has the worst parking lot in the history of ever.

We have a BBB, too--shares space with a Costco, a Staples, and some other stores. Shares the parking lot, too. VERY crowded on the weekend.