Gastric band advice

Options

Replies

• kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Most reputable surgeons are no longer doing the gastric band. There is a high rate of complications and many people end up having it removed. I would recommend the gastric sleeve. Much safer and easier to manage. You also do not risk malnutrition like you do compared to if you got the full gastric bypass.

I had the gastric sleeve done last May and have lost about 100 pounds. I work out most days of the week and eat between 1000 and 1200 calories most days. I do struggle with feeling like I'm going to throw up a lot but you'll get that with all forms of weight loss surgery. Lettuce and meat are two things I'm guaranteed to throw up every time. You also have to be extremely careful about drinking enough water...dehydration is a serious problem...I've had to have IVs three times.
  • Marchmallow
    Marchmallow Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's a divided topic, but I'm firmly in the camp that it treats the symptom but doesn't cure the disease. When people have bariatric surgeries like a bypass, they eat less calories because their stomach is physically too small to eat as much as they did. Initial weight loss is often sabotaged further down the line as the person gradually stretches the smaller stomach and before they know it, they gained the weight back. Instead of going for a drastic quick fix, consider making small, gradual changes to your lifestyle. Make one small change per month. It doesn't sound like much, and won't feel like much, but that's the whole point. You want a permanent lifestyle change, not an intense (and short, due to low sustainability) period of self deprivation of suffering. Start at the lowest rung of the ladder. :)
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I know several people who have had either a bypass or the band who gained back everything they lost. I think that it can be a wonderful tool for the right person but if you are eating for emotional reasons or unwilling to change your eating habits, it isn't going to change anything. My aunt lost tons of weight and even had a full body lift afterwards. She gained everything back plus some. I don't know how but she did. I think slow and steady wins the race....I would really try to get to the root of why you are overeating and go from there. I know that I turn to food during moments of stress, boredom, when I am tried, etc.
  • josephwelch7739
    josephwelch7739 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Heres a thread that might be helpful for you. I found it while thinking about surgery, decided against it at the end. Only person in the group that backed out. Decided to follow calories in/ out

3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/298317-gbs-2005-gained-back-anyone-else-same-boat.html
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know that's had gastric gained it back after a couple years because they didn't learn how to eat properly. It seems to me to be more like a Band-Aid. I don't personally have experience with it but if a person doesn't gain a healthy relationship with food, I'm sure it won't work long term.

P.S. Most struggle with severe stomach issues. Chronic heartburn, diarrhea, indigestion and upset stomach etc. Plus excess skin from rapid weight loss.

Good luck with your decision!

^^A huge percentage of people regain the weight that they lost, no mater how they lose it. That is fact. Not just people that have a surgical procedure.

Do whatever you feel is best for you.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here's a ten year study, 2004.

"As compared with conventional therapy, bariatric surgery appears to be a viable option for the treatment of severe obesity, resulting in long-term weight loss, improved lifestyle, and, except for hypercholesterolemia, amelioration in risk factors that were elevated at baseline."

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa035622

The risk factors included:
    diabetes, hypertriglyceridemia, low levels of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, hypertension, and hyperuricemia.

Edited to add: This was a study of about 600 bariatric patients and an equal number of controls.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    People fail with the band because they don't bother to learn to eat properly. But if they learned to eat properly, they'd realize that they don't need the band.

IOW, the band sets you up for failure. It's a band-aid disguised as a cure.
  • kraull2001
    kraull2001 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had the band done almost 2 years ago and I have lost 105 lbs and am currently maintaining. I certainly want to lose more, but I know I need to do more physically to get to the next plateau. What the Lap Band has taught me is portion sizes and eating proper foods. It is a constant reminder that I have to watch my intake because I can so easily slip into " oh just this one time" moment. I can eat whatever I want in moderation, so I'm not starving or missing out, but if I eat too much junk - ice cream or chocolate, the scale does not lie. I'm only lying to myself. I feel I'm doing all the things the Lap Band program has told me, and it has worked for me.
  • princesspiercey
    princesspiercey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot anyway nor do I eat *kitten*. If I could do it without surgery I'd not still be fat right now. Surgery is my final option or its stay fat for life. It's partly also for potentially eradicating my type 2 diabetes that I'd considered the op also. I don't exercise much but even when I did used to go to the gym it never made a difference. Everyone's body works in a different way and that's what people need to understand. I know skiing people who eat like a horse but cause they don't gain weight no one bothers to moan at them for unhealthy eating habits yet of you're fat you automatically must eat *kitten*, loads of it and be a total pig. This is not always the case and it's about time people realised that. I have a friend who is like me also. Doesn't eat much, eats pretty well, is full easily yet she's also over wright but carries it better as is like 6ft tall so even though she weighs more than me she doesn't look as bad so her weight isn't an issue to her. Having a good or bad relationship with food isn't always truly reflected by a persons weight. The nhs don't tend to offer the bypass anyway unless the circumstances are extreme because of the dangers. The band is still the most common type offered.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot anyway nor do I eat *kitten*. If I could do it without surgery I'd not still be fat right now. Surgery is my final option or its stay fat for life. It's partly also for potentially eradicating my type 2 diabetes that I'd considered the op also. I don't exercise much but even when I did used to go to the gym it never made a difference. Everyone's body works in a different way and that's what people need to understand. I know skiing people who eat like a horse but cause they don't gain weight no one bothers to moan at them for unhealthy eating habits yet of you're fat you automatically must eat *kitten*, loads of it and be a total pig. This is not always the case and it's about time people realised that. I have a friend who is like me also. Doesn't eat much, eats pretty well, is full easily yet she's also over wright but carries it better as is like 6ft tall so even though she weighs more than me she doesn't look as bad so her weight isn't an issue to her. Having a good or bad relationship with food isn't always truly reflected by a persons weight. The nhs don't tend to offer the bypass anyway unless the circumstances are extreme because of the dangers. The band is still the most common type offered.

If you don't eat a lot, then what is gastric bypass going to accomplish for you? The surgery's design is to keep people from overeating. And you claim you don't do that, so...
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    My doctor says they do lots of reversals of the gastric band.
    Also told me about 30 lb ago that I'd lost as much as they would have expected me to lose if I'd had the surgery...
    but I'm still whole. :heart: :sweat_smile:

If you don't sort out why you overeat, you'll still have problems no matter how you mangle your body.
    Even people with the most severe stomach surgeries still manage to gain weight, remaining morbidly obese.
    51637601.png
  • princesspiercey
    princesspiercey Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

If you don't eat a lot, then what is gastric bypass going to accomplish for you? The surgery's design is to keep people from overeating. And you claim you don't do that, so...

I would hope it would shrink my stomach even more so. It was only following discussions with my nurse that I started to investigate it further and having done the whole food diary business and what not for her to still recommend it surely she thinks it would help.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Exercise and healthy eating alone doesn't work for me even alongside orlistat ...
    I don't eat a lot anyway nor do I eat *****
    lourdesong wrote:
    If you don't eat a lot, then what is gastric bypass going to accomplish for you?
    The surgery's design is to keep people from overeating. And you claim you don't do that, so...
    Exactly.
    Yes, it will surgically, artificially, make 2 smaller stomachs.
    You still have to learn not to overeat, which is what you did to gain the weight.
    If you were eating less than your body needed, you would be losing weight.
    That's the only thing that will cause you to lose weight, whether you do it of your own free will or
    because you want to avoid throwing up after meals because you've overloaded your new stomach.
    There's a lot less pain & risk if you learn to do it yourself.

We can't see your diary, so can't tell if you're logging accurately, what you're eating, etc., to make
    suggestions that might help.
    Are you weighing / measuring all your food?
    Are your calories at a sensible level?
    Have you read sexypants?

Start there.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I would hope it would shrink my stomach even more so. It was only following discussions with my nurse that I started to investigate it further and having done the whole food diary business and what not for her to still recommend it surely she thinks it would help.

A band or bypass is designed to keep you from overeating. The fact that you think you don't eat much tells me you think the surgery is magic and is something other than an intervention to physically restrain people from eating too much. Somewhat like wiring someone's jaws shut.

What possible reason would the nurse have for recommending surgery to you after seeing your diary other than she thinks you eat too much?

• cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had gastric by-pass surgery in November and I've lost 105 pounds in the past five months. Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) is a tool and not a solution, but in my case, with a BMI of 52, aged 54, both numbers increasing, losing and keeping the weight off through diet and exercise alone wasn't working. For a long time I considered my inability to manage my weight a character weakness, and WLS seemed like an extreme measure. Through outreach from friends and medical professionals I came around to the idea. Lack of will power is too easy a criticism, there are often psychological and physiological reasons that make it very difficult to achieve the necessary change. I chose the gastric by-pass partly because I was concerned about post op complications related to the band hardware, but mostly because CGP patients generally lose more weight than those with other procedures. My experience has been terrific. I've had no complications. The surgery has helped me to learn the difference between real hunger and head hunger. I used to think I needed a 3 egg omelette to be satisfied, I now know I can scramble one egg and I'll feel fine. The surgery has helped me to learn to eat high quality protein and produce first, and live without bread/rice/pasta. The surgery has helped me learn how to not snack -- if I manage my protein intake I'm satiated, never hungry. I can easily gain the weight I've lost back if I don't make a permanent change in my eating and exercise habits, the surgery is not magic, and it's not the easy way out, it's a tool that's helped me to change my behavior. The MFP app is another tool that's been very helpful -- as it is all about knowing what you put in and what you're putting out -- and you can learn a lot from the experiences of others as they go through their own journey. WLS is not for everybody, but for those considering it, and for those for whom it might be an appropriate, most Bariatric Centers of Excellence hold orientation sessions where you can get more information and have questions answered.

I'm re-posting this link to another MFP board with a community of folks who provide support and knowledge specific to weight loss surgery:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
  • Ayybee123
    Ayybee123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had gastric band surgery in 2013 and I started at 120kg (264lbs) and got down to 71kg (156lbs) I've recently gained a few kilos after having it loosened before going on holiday, I over ate a bit! But back on track now and hopefully will lose another stone within the next 2 months if I stick to plan! But it's been a life saver for me, my weight was not budging and losing 9 stone has boosted my confidence so much
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take any chances. I have thyroid issues, PCOS, a knee injury and a contraceptive implant. I'm not taking any medication at all and I'm loosing weight. I'm not different than you are. It may be hard, but it's not impossible.

Rethink your portions, a lot of us have huge portions and we eat a lot more than we should. Measure the weight and record everything in your diary. You may think you eat right, but you will be surprised how much sugar and fat there is in some seemingly savoury foods and drinks compared to sweet foods. I don't know what type of job you have but a sedentary work contributes to weight gain.

Start eating right and exercising and you will soon be shedding lbs.
  • sunshine5474
    sunshine5474 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in November 2013. I have lost 129 lbs. Now a size 9. Best thing I ever did for myself. I am now active and comfortable doing it. It is such a personal choice and someone will always know someone who may have had a bad experience. It is always a personal choice. You will know if it's right for you. I see people on the gastric mfp group who continue to struggle and others who flourish. I decided after trying everything else for myself and when none of them worked that I would either need to do this or continue gaining. I chose my life back. Good luck to you. Friend me if you like. I'd be happy to share more of my journey with you.
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    All surgery comes with an element of risk and a gastric band is not as an easy fix to lose weight.

Complications Immediately After Surgery
    The statistics are from NHS (UK)

- Infection – 1 in 20 people
    - Blood Clots – 1 in 100 people
    - Internal Bleeding – 1 in 100 people

Antibiotics are usually given to prevent infection. If an infection does not respond to antibiotics your band may need to be removed.

Main Risks After Surgery
    The statistics are from Mr. Evangelos Eftimiou (Bariatric Surgeon at Harley Street Bariatrics)

- Damage to other organs in your abdomen – none for Mr. Efthimiou
    - Band Slippage – 3 in 100 people
    - Band Erosion – 1 in 100 people

Less Severe But Common Side Effects
    The statistics are from NHS.UK

- Excess skin – gastric band cannot cause skin to revert to its pre-obesity tightness and firmness – almost all patients will experience excess skin to some degree.
    - Gallstones – 1 in 12 people
    - Food Intolerance – 1 in 35 people

You're very young and have two children to take care of. Don't take any chances. There is only one person who can help you and it isn't a surgeon, it is you. Learn to eat healthy and exercise more.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!