Shin splints

Options
Not sure why but everytime I walk or run my shins kill! At first I thought it was my sneakers (they where old and not very supportive) so I bought new ones and they fit perfectly. I did week 1 and day 1 of c25k and my shins are on fire. I thought maybe I should get a compression sleeve to help. Does anyone else have this issue ? Anyone have some tips on getting rid of them? It just makes it so difficult to walk or run and that's my next fitness goal.

Replies

• JuliMoriarty
    JuliMoriarty Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have shin pains, I started realizing it at week 4 of C25k. Before buying anything, you should go to the doc. There are several possibilitys why your shins are hurting.
    When I went to the doctor, she checked my legs, my knees, the way I walk. She also x-rayed my back to check it there. So far, I don't have a solution :/ I also work with a foam roller to soften the leg, but I am still not able to run longer than 3mins. Compressive sleeves will be my next step.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Were the shoes fitted at a specialty running store? Where the sales person analyzed your gait and arch? If not, your shoes may not fit as well as you think. You may over pronate, or turn your ankle in. Or have really high arches, like myself. I have have a neutral gait (I don't roll my ankle) but I have high arches that need the support. I got them when I started C25K and I only made them worse by trying to keep at it. I have since stopped and letting them complete heal. When I have 0 pain when squatting to see something low down, I'll know they're healed. Rest, ice, and ibuprofen if you can take it. I was recommended the compression sleeves, but since I never let the "first" set of splints completely heal, they did nothing for me. I'll see when I am fully healed. Best of luck!
  • Nattie71
    Nattie71 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've had them since my Uni days. recently started walking again and my shins were aching to the point I was nearly in tears. I actually started doing light jogging instead of walking and it actually relieved the pressure on my shins...Not sure why but it was easier to lightly jog than to walk...must be something with my cadence?

I'm also quite overweight so would have pressure on my legs with any exercise anyway...but I am trying to walk/lightly jog at least 3 times a week to build up the tolerance...and possibly talk a small dosage of ibuprofen too, just to ease the pain.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Stop running and (serious) walking until the pain is completely gone. Then start again, but build up distance/speed much, much, MUCH more slowly.

There are some exercises you can do to speed up progress. First, stretch the snot out of your calves. If you can get a foam roller, that's a great tool. You can also roll a lacrosse ball or spiky trigger release ball underneath and on the sides of your calf, Achilles tendon (the lower part of your lower leg, above your ankle), and the bottom of your foot.

Toe walking and heel walking. I do 4x30 steps (right-left is one step) of each every day. That has helped me a LOT.

You might *feel* some benefit from compression sleeves, although recent research suggests a lot of it is placebo. Still might be well worth a shot. Also, ice the painful part, although if your shin splints have advanced to the point where you are seriously stressing the bone instead of just the muscles and tendons, ice won't do much good.

But mostly, stretch and rest.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    standing position, one foot a time ... roll the arch of your foot so hard over a tennis ball that it almost makes you cry. Just a few minutes. Then roll that ball hard over the painful part of your shins. Do this a few times/day ... at least once before a walk/run and once after. Then do it again before bed. Trust me on this =)