Stress Fracture... Having a hard time coping.

Options
I had a doctor's appointment earlier and was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my foot. I am a very active person (runner) and am having a hard time accepting this! I can't run for 6-8 weeks and am currently on crutches. So scared of being sedentary and gaining weight! :(

Replies

• BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    you will not gain weight if you stay under your sedentary TDEE. stick with MFP's daily calorie suggestions and you should be just fine.
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Your fear is completely understandable. Try to work on your upper body as much as you can. I'm sure the crutches will strengthen your arms. Can you swim? That would be a great thing to help you. In the end, just take the time you need to get better and watch your intake. I hope you feel better soon!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Having cancer might be something to be scared of fortunately for you your foot will get better and you have a minor inconvenience for 6 weeks. Whether you accept it or not, it's happened.

If you dont want to gain weight the control your consumption and make sure it doesnt exceed your maintenance just like tens of thousands do on this site, every day. You cna also probably still exercise even with a fractured foot, ask the physio. There are plenty of broken foot workouts and also some cardio and resostance work you cna do which doesnt require you to use your feet.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I was out 6-8 weeks with a stress fracture in my fibula and had the same concern. Like you, I'd just lost about 30 pounds. I started off logging everything, then said, "Screw it." I played a lot of video games, did a lot of reading, self-medicated with candy bars, and ended up weighing about one or two pounds more. Then I started running again (slowly) and those one or two pounds came right off again.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    tigger makes a good point. Most people who are very active will have injuries that shut them down at some point. How you deal with it makes you who you are. Lots of things you can do that maybe you have not tried before that you might enjoy. Look at it as an opportunity.
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Time to work on the upper body! Give yourself some shoulders and pecks. :smile:
  • Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    After my car accident i didn't walk for over a year. I will never run or play impact sports again so 6 weeks is laughable however I understand the feeling.

Be active on those crutches. Don't use them as an excuse to sit around all day. I used to go hiking when I had crutches. Actually used them so much the metal leg wore through the rubber foot.

You're not gonna blow up in 6 weeks. Even if you gorge yourself. All will be OK.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you will not gain weight if you stay under your sedentary TDEE. stick with MFP's daily calorie suggestions and you should be just fine.

This
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    k5ateacher wrote: »
    Your fear is completely understandable. Try to work on your upper body as much as you can. I'm sure the crutches will strengthen your arms. Can you swim? That would be a great thing to help you. In the end, just take the time you need to get better and watch your intake. I hope you feel better soon!

If she has a cast, she cant.

I broke my fibula on Thursday and currently have no time line so I feel your pain of not running.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I was ordered to not put pressure on a foot for 2 weeks. I exercised by taking a no impact water exercise class where you do the whole thing floating in deep water. Are you in a cast or a walking boot?
  • leefudge7
    leefudge7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I smashed my patella 9 weeks ago, that leg has been in a brace since, with at least another 4 weeks to go. I have lost 8 kg by logging everything, eating clean, drinking lots of water. I can only do some exercise with resistance bands, unfortunately no fat burning exercise. My best friend is a positive attitude - I count my blessings whenever I start feeling sorry for myself. Your time will soon be a memory :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I just got the same diagnosis as you. I have multiple stress fractures in both legs in the upper and lower part of the tibia. I don't have pain, but my right foot has been numb for a month. That is how I knew something was wrong. They aren't making me use crutches since I have no pain, but I can only ride a bike or swim for the next 2-3 months.

GRRRRR....the only good thing is I found out that the middle school in our district has a pool you can get a membership to (indoor) for $45 for 3 months. It's open for lap swimming from 5-8 on the weekdays and like 11-1 on weekends. Totally gonna sign up. I've been eating like crap for the last week and drinking beer like crazy. I've already put on 2 lbs.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to let your foot heal. Not following doctor's orders now and trying to return to exercise too soon will likely make your foot a chronic problem rather than a temporary setback. I understand it's really frustrating, but fitness can be regained and weight can be re-lost, but you want to be able to run for as long as possible I'm sure, so 6 weeks now is not much in the grand scheme of things. Get plenty of rest, eat well, and go easy when it's time to start exercising/running again.
    I hope you heal up quick.