I wanna lose the weight, just can't he myself motivated enough to stick with it :(

Options

Replies

• omelet2000
    omelet2000 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    motivation is 100% mental - so if the problem is mental then solution is also mental. you just have to think about it a different way.
    there's a lot of things we don't like to do, but we do it everyday and consistently, and we don't need "motivation" to do them. for example - picking up the kids from school, paying the bills, going to the bank, cleaning the litterbox. These things we do without needing "motivation," so make exercise the same - do it everyday just like you do these other things in your life. soon, it's just a matter of living a lifestyle, not needing any motivation.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    omelet2000 wrote: »
    motivation is 100% mental - so if the problem is mental then solution is also mental. you just have to think about it a different way.
    there's a lot of things we don't like to do, but we do it everyday and consistently, and we don't need "motivation" to do them. for example - picking up the kids from school, paying the bills, going to the bank, cleaning the litterbox. These things we do without needing "motivation," so make exercise the same - do it everyday just like you do these other things in your life. soon, it's just a matter of living a lifestyle, not needing any motivation.

So true! Motivation comes and goes. Habits stick.

Having said that, I've noticed that I find it helps to have some goal that seems really worth aiming for as an overall motivator. It also has to be a goal that can realistically, healthily attained, or it can cause problems down the line. Doesn't have to be deep, either. Heck, just having a crush on someone can work wonders for motivation!

Reading the kind of success stories on this site and seeing what people say when they achieve their goals, its so worth losing weight and getting in shape. It makes such a huge difference. I've seen multiple people say they wish they could have shown the person they were how it felt, because then they'd have known all along it was all worth it.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Suck it up or fail.

^^this. it is that simple, but you are entitled to make it as difficult (or easy) as you wish
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just do it. Take control and just do it. Don't hang around waiting for some magical moment of inspiration, because who knows when (or if) that'll happen. There's absolutely nothing stopping you from committing to it from this moment onwards but yourself.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Don't go all or nothing, that's not an easy feat. Make small changes, one at a time. Each small change will become a habit, then you can move on to the next small change. It was a lot easier for me to process that way, rather than thinking I need to do everything NOW.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You have to want to lose weight and get healthy more than you want to overeat and/or not be active. Being overweight, especially as you get older, sucks. It hurts, literally, and you can't do the things you want to do. And it takes years off of your life. Fix it now (or soon) or live a life of regret, albeit a shorter life. There are literally thousands of MFP members who have buckled down and lost weight. Draw some motivation from them until it becomes a habit for you. And then just do it. Good luck.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Every day do one small thing towards your goal. Look at you tube for exercise ideas. Make one small food change. Use half the butter you normally use for your veggies. Small things like that. Call a friend. See if you can find a walking partner. Good luck.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Why can't you? You either want it and you do it, or you don't.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah.

If you want to lose weight - do it.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well, there's often a lot more to motivation than just wanting to do something and doing it. For some its going to mean changing all sorts of long set habits, gaining new perspectives, learning from many sources, confronting stubborn life obstacles that aren't directly related, overcoming emotional, financial or physical impediments and more!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

It really does boil down to this. Maybe write down a list of reasons why you want to lose and the benefits for you. copare that with the drawbacks and decide if you want to deal with the hardships in order to attain the benefits. I would say weight loss is straightforward once you start applying yourself. Go and look at the success pages for inspiration. Considering how much you have to lose, then think what a budgen the weight is going to be compared to being a normal healthy weight.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

Exactly!
  • ToriiJaii
    ToriiJaii Posts: 11
    Options
    It's not that I don't want to. Some gave amazing helpful answers and some seemed not to quite understand my statement and question. I want to lose the weight , and I will. I was more looking for tips on how to keep it going steady , more what makes you motivated to shed the pounds. "Finding the motivation" may have been the wrong choice of words.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ToriiJaii wrote: »
    It's not that I don't want to. Some gave amazing helpful answers and some seemed not to quite understand my statement and question. I want to lose the weight , and I will. I was more looking for tips on how to keep it going steady , more what makes you motivated to shed the pounds. "Finding the motivation" may have been the wrong choice of words.

Personally? Looking hot. Being able to move around better, being able to lift things easily.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Being stronger, leaner and more flexible. Every time I see a loss on the scale, I'm motivated. Every time I see a photo of 232 pound me, I'm motivated. Every time I see a photo of 157 pound me, I'm motivated. Buying size 8 jeans, and size medium tops. Doing crazy hard yoga poses or bench pressing. I find motivation in everything I've done and everything I do.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

Ok off the top of my head whats worked for me so far:
    • I made my mind up and I commited, that means i reached an agrement with myself, no excuses no hiding. The rationale is I dont wnat to yo yo, i know why I want to achieve target and failure isnt really an option because the stakes are too high.
    • Learn out how to diet properly, keep it simple and acquire knowledge. This = better success, less stress, less wasted time.
    • http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    • Plan properly and for all eventualities so you cna effectively put what you wnat to achieve into action.
    • Keep yourself motivated by taking small steps, be friends with yourself and support your efforts. Know yourself so you know when to push and when to give yourself a break.
    • Break the diet down into mini diets which are more manageable.
    • Success breeds success, so keep on top of it. If it goes well thats great if it goes wrong then learn from it and get back at it.
    • Learn from others mistakes.
    • Get some scales and do regular effective exercise that you can sustain.

Probably other things, but that was off the top of my head.

Oh and for goodness sake be realistic in your expectations. Learn some patience.