chewy food-cravings

Options
Tatarataa
Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
I love chewy food like fudge, caramel, quest bars, chewy cookies and oat meal bars etc. I am in search for low calorie alternatives, either food or recipes. Can you help me please?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Just eat smaller quantities of the listed foods.
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Good to hear this again written down! Thanks!
    But still if anybody has got some additional ideas-I would appreciate it. I need some lower calorie chewy food ideas that I can eat more of in addition to my hopefully in the future smaller posrtions of higher calorie chewy foods...
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I like the stretch island fruit leathers, they are only 45 calories each. I also love orchard bars, they have quite a few calories but are full of nuts and fruit so a better choice than a candy bar.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Fiber One 90 calorie fudge brownies are good too!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    If you can limit yourself to one or two pieces, chewy fruit candies (such as Hi-Chews) may help. They are 45 calories for 2 pieces.
  • Crogirl_22
    Crogirl_22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I discovered that dates combined with rice cakes taste like sweet popcorn, you might like that ;)
  • Crogirl_22
    Crogirl_22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    oh, or you could make shakes with bananas and dates and add some raw, natural cacao powder it tastes really good :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be flippant but what follows are some perhaps strange suggestions. I'm trying to think of what I ate lately that was excessively chewy and all I've come up with are the cubed beef in the take out Chinese we had last night and some turnip greens that were a bit tough.

Jerky?
    I had a Taiwanese friend who sweared by chewing on dried squid strips.
    The tougher large stalks of celery?
    Microwaved chicken.

Oh, wait a minute. Are you willing to make homemade bread? It's really easy. A plain flour/water/salt/yeast bread can be pretty chewy. Give me a holler if you want some help with finding lazy ways to make bread.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You could try biltong (spelling?) which is essentially small pieces of dried meat - very chewy and high protein so you wouldn't need much. I don't know where you live but if you can find a South African butcher they could supply it
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I recently found these Nature Valley Dark Chocolate granola thins. Only 80 cals for one. They taste like a chocolate coated oatmeal cookie to me. Just got them for those days that I don't have a lot of calories left but I want something sweet, and they are so yummy.

2wezqnwj0n49.jpg
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Seconding Fiber One products, they have oat bars, brownies, cake-like bars, and even fruit chews (like gummy candy).

Many chewy oat bars and breakfast bars and protein bars are fairly low calorie. As is chewy candy. I also second the idea to eat what you like in moderation. How long can one chew on taffy anyway without getting a pounding headache from the the jaw tension required to eat that stuff? Some varieties of Questbars can make my face and neck hurt.
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I see a few recommendations for gummy candy- similarly I like eating pouches of fruit snacks. They have about 70-90 calories depending on the brand so they can make a good small snack.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Mochi

Good one! I couldn't think of anything.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Sweettart minis are 50 calories for 20 pieces, and Jelly Belly jelly beans are 140 calories for 35. Those are my go-to study snacks because they're fun to eat, but not disruptive to any other library goers.
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    Thank you so much for your suggestions! forgot to add something: I have a teeth problem and therefore have to watch teeth damaging sugary things I try to stick to non-teeth damaging sweeteners...so any suggestions for sugar free things, please?

By the way I LOVE LOVE LOVE gummy cany-I used to be addicted to those (which damaged my teeth)...alternative (but not that chewy-sniff): homemade sugarfree yello gummy candy
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    What is/are mochi?
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    I will have a quest bar with my breakfast-hehe-no I really need to incorporate them otherwise I binge on them (have a week of heavy bingeing behind me-sniff)!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Also slow down the rate you eat and chew more.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    You might check out the sugar free candies. I know there are caramel ones and may be gummy candies as well. They are not necessarily low in calories but they don't have sugar. If it is chewy things you crave, I would stay away from smoothies. They may taste great but there is nothing to chew!