Eating post workout

Options
I have found that recently after a good hard workout I am not hungry at all. I used to be starving and could eat anything in site by the time I made it home from the gym. tonight I burned over 800 calories (according to my HRM) and i'm about to force myself to eat something cause i'm feeling a little blah. Is it normal to have a loss of appetite?

Replies

• laurielynne3
    Options
    That happens to me all the time...its normal...
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started working out just over a month ago and the only time I came out of the gym hungry, was when I went in hungry.

Lately I've been getting these prepackaged grilled chicken salads from walmart or publix. They're about $3, and they have a few different types. They range 210-290 calories. I've found them to be a great size to eat even though I'm usually not all that hungry.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's normal, but I'm never hungry after exercising either. I usually estimate my calories burned before I actually burn them so I can eat those calories throughout the day. This also forces me to actually do the exercise I've set out to do, otherwise I will have exceeded my calorie goal for the day!!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I eat before I exercise so I'm not hungry after. However I try and drink a bit of protein shake just to make sure I get something in there :)
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm usually not either. I will eat about an hour after my workout.

L.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Yep!

I am often hungry before I exercise, but need to earn calories for a snack. Once I exercise and earn my "treat," I am typically no longer hungry.

I hate it when that happens! :wink:
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I usually am starving after working out but recently I haven't really felt hungry. Now I've only been drinking protein shakes after a workout instead of a meal.
  • DrTeeBee
    DrTeeBee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So true! I walked to Dairy Queen with my wife to get a cone, and we realized that we'd left our money at home! I still got my cone, but I wasn't nearly as hungry after the walk, for some reason, and got by with a small cone! So I earned my treat too, which was nice.
  • jljennbunny
    jljennbunny Posts: 21
    Options
    It is important to consume some calories before working out is what a personal trainer told me. I hired one for a few sessions once and he said to have at least 200 to 300 calories (protein) before he showed up. After I workout, I am not hungry at all either, but I do drink a lot more water.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It is important to consume some calories before working out is what a personal trainer told me. I hired one for a few sessions once and he said to have at least 200 to 300 calories (protein) before he showed up. After I workout, I am not hungry at all either, but I do drink a lot more water.

when i've tried eating to close to a work out i find my stomach gets upset. But i have tried to start eating a yogurt around 4 on gym days so i have something in me. I'm at the gym for a bout 5:30. any thing heavier and i can't make it through the workout.
  • Ree_Chatelain
    Ree_Chatelain Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's normal, but I'm never hungry after exercising either. I usually estimate my calories burned before I actually burn them so I can eat those calories throughout the day. This also forces me to actually do the exercise I've set out to do, otherwise I will have exceeded my calorie goal for the day!!

Thats a good idea but it would be just my luck to not make it to the gym after eating all day.