pre-logging: motivating or an opportunity to let things slide (sabotage)

Options
4leighbee
4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
I hear lots of well-respected folks in MFP offering the advice to pre-log your day. I think, for me, part of the motivation of staying on track is sitting at the computer a few times a day and holding myself accountable for the choices I have already made. If I pre-log, I think I might be inclined to take a don't-tell-me-what-to-do attitude and I'd be changing my pre-logged stuff around every time. Also ... and I'm not a cheater ... if I've pre-logged my day, an extra handful of M&Ms could be more easily brushed aside as an "ooops..." ... what do you think? Just curious to hear from the pre-loggers who love it and maybe also those who tried it and found it wasn't for them.

Replies

• lawsonan
    lawsonan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find pre-logging helps me know what my planned calories will be and make sure that I don't accidentally go over.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Do you ever find yourself going in and making changes midday?
  • Mafuezee
    Mafuezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just do it so i know what to eat tomorrow and wont have to log tomorrow
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's 9:30 am here, and I pre-logged my day an hour ago.
    For me, it helps keep me accountable, like this is what I'm eating today and that's that! It also allows me to tweak things if I'm over or under. Right now I'm 80 calories over but I'll make that up with exercise plus a tonn more by days end. Obviously on days I'm not going to exercise I would have had to subtract a food to get me down to my goal calories.
    I'm not saying i eat perfectly to exactly what my diary says, some days I'll add chocolate or whatever, but I do try to stick to the plan as best I can :smile:
    Either everything i have just written has helped or confused you lol :tongue:
  • Mafuezee
    Mafuezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    sometimes i delete some things or add it doesnt rlly matter
  • betht458
    betht458 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sometimes at lunch I will pre-log my dinner if I've already planned it out. But usually I don't pre-log unless I've weighed everything before hand. If you try it and find that you're snacking more to rebel against yourself then definitely don't do it, UNLESS you're staying within your calorie goal. That brings me to my next point, if pre-logging gives you an idea of what you could (or could not) have left over, then maybe you can plan your snacks or meals better around what you want/need. Am I making sense? lol. Try it out and see if it works for you!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    it's good as a device for meal planning more generally
  • 4leighbee
    edited April 2015
    Options
    For me, it helps keep me accountable, like this is what I'm eating today and that's that! It also allows me to tweak things if I'm over or under. Right now I'm 80 calories over but I'll make that up with exercise plus a tonn more by days end. Obviously on days I'm not going to exercise I would have had to subtract a food to get me down to my goal calories.
    I'm not saying i eat perfectly to exactly what my diary says, some days I'll add chocolate or whatever, but I do try to stick to the plan as best I can :smile:

No - it makes perfect sense. I might try it for a week to see how it goes. I'm kind of sneaky and anti-authority (authority = myself here), lol ... so I'm just not sure it's the best option for me. It might be a personality thing - or it might really be the best way and I should give it a shot. I appreciate the responses! :)
  • scr183
    scr183 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm still pretty new to the game, here, but I sometimes do pre-log (especially if I know I have a particularly tricky day coming up). On those occasions, it kind of gives me an idea of what options I have within my calorie goal, which in turn lets me decide if I want to allocate some extra calories that I'll make up for at another point during the week. With that said, I do frequently make adjustments during the days that I pre-log to make sure I'm staying on track with what actually happens as well as my actual hunger levels (sometimes I end up not wanting much for breakfast, for example, and thus don't take in as much as I planned, or sometimes I'll unexpectedly be ravenous in the middle of the day and need to account for an extra snack). So it's definitely not a set-in-stone situation for me, but it can be a useful tool as well. But that's just me. *shrug*
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I make changes if I need to -- but I also don't map out the entire day. Breakfast, lunch & morning snack are logged, because I have to bring them with me to work. But, if something in the cafeteria looks good, and fits my calories, I might change things. I don't always know what I'm having for dinner, but by the time I have to make it, I know how many calories I have to work with, because I know early on how much I will have eaten.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    MaryCS62 wrote: »
    I make changes if I need to -- but I also don't map out the entire day. Breakfast, lunch & morning snack are logged, because I have to bring them with me to work. But, if something in the cafeteria looks good, and fits my calories, I might change things. I don't always know what I'm having for dinner, but by the time I have to make it, I know how many calories I have to work with, because I know early on how much I will have eaten.

This leads me to another question - those of us with predictable schedules (office workers, etc.), how often are you on MFP? I keep mine up all day as a constant reminder. That sounds a bit obsessive and unsustainable, so I don't see myself doing that once I hit goal weight. At some point, we just know ... or do we? How long do we carry on like this ... There are so many of us who must by now be in maintenance. Are they/you logging faithfully daily as well?
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I pre-log everything each morning, and I feel like I'm doing myself a favor by doing that. I get to plan out a bunch of food for me to have, so I know I've made really good choices that let me eat as much food as possible (to me, it seems really disappointing to have chocolate or some other high-calorie snack which would replace a much larger volume of delicious low-calorie food). I actually feel like I get to eat tonnes of food this way, rather than just leaving it until the afternoon/evening to total everything up and then realize that I have no calories left for the day.

I think that's what helps me not feel that "you can't tell me what to do!" thing - I actually feel like I'm beating the system, so I work with myself and stick to my plans.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

No - it makes perfect sense. I might try it for a week to see how it goes. I'm kind of sneaky and anti-authority (authority = myself here), lol ... so I'm just not sure it's the best option for me. It might be a personality thing - or it might really be the best way and I should give it a shot. I appreciate the responses! :)

I like routine and predictability, which is probably why it works for me. Plus I have the same breakfast ( which is 6 cups of tea with 600ml milk all up) and lunch everyday, which makes logging my days even more simple.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Certainly there's no hard and fast rules and you should do what you think works best for you.

Having said that, pre-logging helps to prevent going over because you can see whether or not you've gone over before you actually eat the food.

Logging after you eat, for many people, gives them the opportunity to go over.

At the very least it may be helpful to pre-log the last meal of the day to make sure it doesn't put you over.

Also, it's fine to pre-log and then change things if you decide you are going to eat something different -- especially if you're making minor changes like switching the vegetable choice or whatever. But the habit of pre-logging can still be helpful as a preventative measure to stop from going over.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if i make a plan i stick to it.

but i'm not so rigid that i can't make a change on the fly if something comes up.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Certainly there's no hard and fast rules and you should do what you think works best for you.

Having said that, pre-logging helps to prevent going over because you can see whether or not you've gone over before you actually eat the food.

Logging after you eat, for many people, gives them the opportunity to go over.

At the very least it may be helpful to pre-log the last meal of the day to make sure it doesn't put you over.

Also, it's fine to pre-log and then change things if you decide you are going to eat something different -- especially if you're making minor changes like switching the vegetable choice or whatever. But the habit of pre-logging can still be helpful as a preventative measure to stop from going over.

Bam!! You just said everything I was trying to say, in a more concise way :+1:

• flab2fab760
    flab2fab760 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging keeps you accountable!

Like some of the people said above, 1. They know what they will eat for the day, 2. They won't have to log during the day...etc!

And just because you prelogged doesn't mean that you're going to max out your calories either!! I often have 300-400 calories at the end of the day that allows me to add stuff during the day, like M&M's.

I often change my portion sizes at dinner depending on the amount of calories left over too!

Like last night, I was scheduled to have a slice of pizza and a salad for dinner, but I had enough calories left from the day that I could add another slice and still not go over!

Just have to make sure your "OOOPS!" are occasional and a ritual! It can be self defeating when you are not reaching your goals. Just something to think about.

Good luck with your journey!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »
    MaryCS62 wrote: »

This leads me to another question - those of us with predictable schedules (office workers, etc.), how often are you on MFP? I keep mine up all day as a constant reminder. That sounds a bit obsessive and unsustainable, so I don't see myself doing that once I hit goal weight. At some point, we just know ... or do we? How long do we carry on like this ... There are so many of us who must by now be in maintenance. Are they/you logging faithfully daily as well?

I'm in school, so I can't have it up all too often. In the morning I pack my pre-logged food for the day, and my prepped dinner if I have late classes/work. Then that's what I eat. On the weekends I have to be a bit more flexible. Even on my higher calorie day I tend to pre-log, just to make sure that I will hit my calorie/macro goals with what I intend to eat. That way I know what kind of wiggle room I have for snacks and whatnot.

If it doesn't work for you, don't do it. There is no right or wrong, just figuring out what strategy gives you the best adherence.
  • blackcrossknight
    blackcrossknight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was pre logging for months, but I hit a stand still in my weight loss. I cannot trick my brain, it won't allow me too, and I would log everything for the day. Doing so, I would know what I can eat, but I would eat all my snacks and things so quickly just because I was bored or whatever, and after dinner through he night when I really should have kept them for, I was messing up and by then it was just '*kitten* it' and I would eat whatever. So now, I haven't been logging for about two weeks. If I do, its around dinner time and I put it in just to see more accurately what I have left. I've been going through the days calorie counting in head, and it's making me cautious of what I should pick up because I have no sheet telling me what I can eat so Im forcing myself to eat more carefully, and to hold off longer so I dont eat when bored. I round up when I calorie count in head, so if I log it later during the day, I usually have those extra calories now. I'll spread some jam on and english muffin. It's about 130 calories, but I'll count 150 in my head since its easier to add onto. I've finally started dropping again, and for that matter I've been switching up my food more too so I'm not eating the same things over constantly. Plus, when calorie counting in head, I don't feel as obsessive about counting calories, like I might use this site till the end of my days. I'm forcing myself to rely on me rather than a website. Pre logging was good for a long while, but I have to take a break from it right now, and it's working.
  • 4leighbee
    Options
    Thanks, everyone - always helpful.