WEIGHT WATCHERS

Options
MNgal43
MNgal43 Posts: 29 Member
Does anyone do Weight Watchers for the meetings, accountability, knowledge and support of the group but use MFP way of calorie counting using MFP calorie tracker instead of tracking points? I am thinking of doing this.

Replies

• HumboldtFred
    HumboldtFred Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 80 using WW. this is free and does the exact same thing. Unless you like meetings.
  • MNgal43
    Options
    I was thinking the meetings for the accountability piece.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I mean you COULD do that, but I'd try to find a friend and colleague or somebody who'd be willing to go on the journey with you and just hold each other accountable. You guys could do weekly weigh ins and not spend the money.

Or just tell all your friends and family you are going to lose weight, and see if any of them would be willing to hold you accountable (I.e. you report your weekly weight to them, they don't even have to care, but just somebody to share with so you KNOW somebody will see whether you lose or gain). Telling them alone should be enough to hold you accountable, but sending your data to one of them definitely will!
  • MNgal43
    Options
    I am not sure yet. I am just thinking about it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    why not just find friends here who cna offer accountability? undestandable if its the social side you want.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My mom has done weight watchers and it has been very beneficial for her. She does it in person (you can do in person or online) and I think actually going to weigh in in-person has helped her with accountability. She lost about 40 pounds using WW. She found it easier than counting calories. Hope this helps :) Btw, feel free to add me if you want :smile:
  • MNgal43
    Options
    I am not sure the more I think about it. I think if I join some groups here and stay within my calorie range and exercise and eat healthy I can do this! I love Leslie Sansone and jogging for exercise.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    i was thinking the SAME exact thing a hour ago. i am currently in WW and doing meeting, but i was like hmm maybe i should do the calorie counting in the mean time. but you know what i realized, WW works. it WORKS when you WORK it. i havent been working it 100% and ive been gaining. i get inpsired but the ppl at my meeting and they lose contantly! add me as a friend if you want to have a friend on here that know the struggle and is in exactly the same boat as you are! my advice, let us BOTH stick to the points! get the tracking book and try it that way! look luck!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Seems pretty expensive to me for what amounts to hand holding. Costs the same or less to join a gym and get exercise and strength training...

I did WW. I lost weight doing it but eventually grew tired of the meetings and especially tired of paying $52/month just to have someone weigh me and give me a pat on the back or a nudge to "try harder this week."

I am my own motivation. I am my own inspiration. I am doing this because I 100000% want to succeed. I don't want to be obese anymore. My closet, my mirror and my scale are my accountability tools.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    If you are only looking for support and accountability, I would suggest looking into something like TOPS. There is a small fee, but it's nowhere near as much as WW costs.
  • mom2carlo
    Options
    I have done WW before and loved the accountability thing but if you find friends or facebook groups and such and post your progress there too, it can help a lot for accountability. This go around (post baby #2) I am doing it alone with MFP and fb groups. I miss my meetings because I loved being called out and recognized for my losses at WW.

I plan to reward myself for the big milestones like WW does. I am 3lb from my 25lbs.

It's slower going but because it's real life with two kids and I'm not paying per week, it's easier to stay positive and motivated when I have a bad week and lose very little or gain.
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I loved going to Weight Watchers when I was working and could afford it. Made a lot of friends and I loved being where there were people with the same struggles. Unfortunately I am on Social Security/Disability and can't afford to go. I've been calorie and carb counting since December 16th and have lost 37 pounds so far. I have a long way to go, but I'm looking at it a little bit at a time
    mom2carlo wrote: »
    I have done WW before and loved the accountability thing but if you find friends or facebook groups and such and post your progress there too, it can help a lot for accountability. This go around (post baby #2) I am doing it alone with MFP and fb groups. I miss my meetings because I loved being called out and recognized for my losses at WW.

I plan to reward myself for the big milestones like WW does. I am 3lb from my 25lbs.

It's slower going but because it's real life with two kids and I'm not paying per week, it's easier to stay positive and motivated when I have a bad week and lose very little or gain.

• MNgal43
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice
  • kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love my meetings and won't give them up. This group and this leader are so helpful. I've been to others that I could easily have stopped but this one....nope. I pay and don't care. It's cheaper then the meals out I used to do. LOL Do what works for YOU!!! PS my husband goes to the meetings with me and is strictly a WWer. So it helps that we're together.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've done both, and did WW for a few years. Lost a lot of weight then gained it back (through no fault of WW). First time using MFP and the thing I really like is that it's plain calorie counting- I went through 2 or 3 different 'points' programs with WW and unless you use/buy their tools, it's difficult to try and figure out points on your own. Counting calories is just a whole lot easier. And I got bored with the meetings after a couple years.

But if you have a good WW leader that inspires you, then definitely stick with it. No reason you can't go to WW for the 'live' moral support and use MFP for tracking your calories and food.
  • MNgal43
    Options
    Hi Tekkiechikk .- exactly. I was thinking that too. I just don't know. I don't want to count points but I thought for the meetings and live support and recognition? But then I am not really doing there program so I don't know if I should. Ugh
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    MNgal43 wrote: »
    Hi Tekkiechikk .- exactly. I was thinking that too. I just don't know. I don't want to count points but I thought for the meetings and live support and recognition? But then I am not really doing there program so I don't know if I should. Ugh

That is why I suggested TOPS. You follow your own plan and count your calories but the support and recognition is there. It's $32 for a year membership and you would be spending more than that a month for meetings at WW.

http://www.tops.org/
  • joshuapowell1989
    joshuapowell1989 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Try joining the Drop 20 by July 4th group. I feel it will be quite a good challenge as you enter your data on a spreadsheet that is accessible to all, so it makes you more motivated to do well.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifetime WWs member and I have to say that I've had the most long term success with My Fitness Pal. I've lost 45lbs and I'm close to maintenance.

I like counting calories in and calories out so much better than the point system where I actually had no idea what the points counted for in terms of calories. I learned so much about nutrition and how to eat healthy reading various posts on the forums especially the "Getting Started" ones.

I actually lurked on here for almost a year before I became actively posting on the forums but you can find the support and accountability you need right here.

WW is a good program but the cost is a factor. I preferred to spend the money on a gym membership which I now have at no cost because I'm on an Advantage Medicare Plan. It's the best of both worlds for me.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have been here for over 4 yrs and started ignoring the scale and my weight is up by 17 lbs....my mom has been going to WW so I joined with her. I feel like the accountability and the focus on fresh fruits and veggies are helpful. I am down some, had a bad few days, but I made myself go and weigh in instead of skipping the meeting and am still recouping from that. I really need to get at least 10 lbs off and I am hoping WW can do it for me. I am still here and count my exercise calories here and still have my long time friends here, and I may come back here once I can get it together! I feel like it is an inner mind thought process. I am also reading the Beck Diet Solution, which is all about changing your inner thoughts, stopping sabotaging thoughts. If I can get that under control, either diet will work great! LOL!! Good luck in your decision!