stuck!

Options
Does anyone have advise on getting a kick start once you get stuck? I lost 9 lbs in less than two months and got stuck there for the last two weeks.

Replies

• FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food on a kitchen scale? If not, I would start there. If you open your diary to the public, you can get more advice.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Two weeks really isn't that long to worry about. If it continues on, then you'll want to reevaluate your logging to see where you can clean up (logging everything, using a food scale, not eating back all your exercise calories).
  • anitaclary
    anitaclary Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will follow them. Exercise is a problem due to health problems. I am on a 1200 cal diet but try for 1000. When I don't eat enough to get 1000, I compensate with snacks. I usually eat two meals a day and then have late night snacks if I need to eat more. Of course spring break I had company and went over for about 4 days but not over weight maintenance. And of course, I stay pretty busy with kids visiting, which should compensate some. I am just wondering if cutting back to maybe 600 cal or so for a couple of days would help, or perhaps staying just with fruits and vegetable. I just don't know much.
  • anitaclary
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I will follow them. Exercise is a problem due to health problems. I am on a 1200 cal diet but try for 1000. When I don't eat enough to get 1000, I compensate with snacks. I usually eat two meals a day and then have late night snacks if I need to eat more. Of course spring break I had company and went over for about 4 days but not over weight maintenance. And of course, I stay pretty busy with kids visiting, which should compensate some. I am just wondering if cutting back to maybe 600 cal or so for a couple of days would help, or perhaps staying just with fruits and vegetable. I just don't know much.
  • anitaclary
    Options
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear

Your body is catching up

You don't need exercise ...just walk more
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    anitaclary wrote: »

Why are health problems a hindrance to exercise, but not to having company and staying busy with kids? Just curious.

Cutting back 600 calories from 1200? No!

And rabbitjb, I see the phrase "weight loss is not linear" all the time. What does it mean?
  • anitaclary
    Options
    that's easy - My children don't live nearby, and I don't get to see them very often. I'm 70, so I want to see my grandchildren when I can - well, my children also. I cannot do everything I want to do with them, but I try. I want my grandchildren to remember me. I do some easy exercise with an Ann Smith video (she is 80) - not much cal burn there. A much more enjoyable exercise was teaching my 6 yr of granddaughter some basic dancing steps and dancing with her. Nothing much matters when I see that big smile.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Why are health problems a hindrance to exercise, but not to having company and staying busy with kids? Just curious.

And rabbitjb, I see the phrase "weight loss is not linear" all the time. What does it mean?

It means that our weight fluctuates up and down. We won't lose exactly 2.65lbs or whatever each and every week. If we did that would make weight loss linear.
    you often see posts on here saying "I lost 2lbs every week for 3 weeks, but nothing the last couple weeks"? Weight loss just isn't that predictable, or linear :smiley:

• ladyfreeburn
    ladyfreeburn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have advise on getting a kick start once you get stuck? I lost 9 lbs in less than two months and got stuck there for the last two weeks.

It means that our weight fluctuates up and down. We won't lose exactly 2.65lbs or whatever each and every week. If we did that would make weight loss linear.
    you often see posts on here saying "I lost 2lbs every week for 3 weeks, but nothing the last couple weeks"? Weight loss just isn't that predictable, or linear :smiley:

Change things up a bit, including your food. You don't really nneed to exercise if you are hitting a target of 10,000 steps a day ☺
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    Options
    Cutting from 1200 makes no sense especially at your age as you would probably much rather lose fat than muscle.

Walking IS exercise. Dancing with your grand-daughter MAY be exercise if you have told MFP you are sedentary.

Generally activities that amount up to approximately 5000 steps in a day are included in sedentary. Beyond that you move to lightly active.

Weight loss is not linear means that you can lose 0lb one week and 3lbs the next with the same level of activity and food consumption.

You should also take measurements as you may be experiencing size changes even when the scale isn't moving.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

You should be on an absolute min of 1200 i give your body enough nutrition, unless you are doing a vlcd under medical supervision. Eat what your body needs and is safe and healthy to do so. Only eat less if you want to starve your body of nutrition and you want to go about with an unhealthy approach, which could also lead to a binge or you quitting because its too aggressive.

As they all pointed out 2 weeks isnt enough and you also need to manage your expectations about your rate and regularity of loss when you get it started again. Be patient and keep doing the right things. You dont say how restrictive your health is, but exercise can be gentle, such as walking or even some swimming. There will be plenty of options for older people and limited mobility. Exercise in water is often good because it supports your body weight.
  • anitaclary
    Options
    Yay! New courage! Pav8888 mentioned measurement. One inch off waist and one inch off hips even though no additional weight loss. BP 150's over 90's today - thinking out of the stroke zone. I'm maxed out on med's, so I'm desperately trying to do whatever I can in addition to med's - lost one kidney to infarct and would like to keep the remaining kidney. Also working on lowering potassium that got too high - already have an irregular heart beat.. Exercise has to be sort of stationary until and if I get one of my feet fixed and can wear regular shoes. I can climb like a monkey and paint, paper or whatever a fixer finds to do. I hate to mention this health stuff, as my plan is and has been to totally be well again.
    Age is relative!