Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How long can you stay on a 1200-1400 calorie diet?

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    My 1200 calories (plus exercise calories on most days) are more quality focused than they were before, so even though I may have been eating many more calories before, a lot of it was useless nutritionally. Not sure how that factors in, except that I don't feel cheated at all with 1200+ calories a day, and I run and/or lift heavy daily. I think even with the reduced calorie intake, I am in a better position to have meaningful workouts with a lower risk of injury than before MFP and the calorie restriction. Yay MFP.
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    I have been on 1200 calories since Nov.15, 2014. Almost 5 months. I have lost 60 pounds and am feeling great. I had blood work done in early November that came back alarming. Pre-diabetes, low iron, low vit d, low b12, thyroid screwed up. I started this journey the next day and would not change a thing. I had my blood work repeated in February and my A1C was back to normal, my vitamins were back on track and they actually needed to lower my thyroid medication!
    I eat back half of my exercise calories and drink at least 10 cups of water each day. Life is good and getting better and better each day!
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 556 Member
    edited April 2015
    I've been at 1350 now for 2 months. I do give myself breaks some nights, but I never eat at maintenance. I really need to lose the weight as soon as possible so I'm being quite strict.

For the record I'm 5'6" and 27 F

I do go over on lifting days by about 200 calories to help fuel my body
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    15 minutes
  • cdogthegreat0702
    cdogthegreat0702 Posts: 12 Member
    Arliah wrote: »
    I was on 1200 calories for year, and it crashed my metabolism and had my doctor call me at 9pm after she saw the lab results, completely panicked. Lesson learned: Don't do it for too long. It will take me quite some time to undo the damage I did by restricting my food intake so severely.
    i was in the same situation! no one warned me about the dangers of eating too little; i can't believe the dangerous amount of buzz the "magic 1200 calorie" diet has gotten.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    6 and a half months so far. Lost about 65lbs. Eat high protein and do cardio and weight training 4-5 times a week. No noticeable muscle loss. Started at 240lbs, now 175lbs and wearing size 10 and some 8's. I'm 5'8" and 47 years old. I was at 1200 for 5 months and recently switch to 1450 (although I don't reach that number all the time). I wanted to eat more fruit and nuts so I upped my calories. There are days I still come in at 1200 (mostly on weekends when I wake up later than normal). I don't eat back exercise calories and really "spend" my calories wisely. Candy and sweets are what got me into trouble so I stay away from them and choose fruit and tea to satisfy my sweet tooth. Feeling better than I have in years. Always take the stairs, drink lots of water and training myself to not live to eat. I love cooking and creating less calorie dense meals that I can enjoy and feel satisfied. I think it depends on what you eat. Some folks want desserts or the occasional pizza so 1200 calories won't work under those circumstances, I don't think. I'd be starving if I didn't spread my calories with high protein and lower cal options like egg whites, tofu, chicken breast, greek yogurt, etc. But I also eat whole eggs, cheese, olives, oil, etc.

Everyone is different. Some can handle it and some can't or won't. I haven't suffered a day since I've started losing weight. In fact, on my vacation I ate some higher cal options and felt like crap. When I get closer to maintenance (around 140-150lbs) I may allow for an occasional night out with friends but I've changed my lifestyle for good.
  • davidm115
    davidm115 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi, i been on 1200 cal for 9 months now lost 77lbs down 42m
  • Lady_Grell
    Lady_Grell Posts: 103 Member
    I didn't know that it could be dangerous to eat just 1200 calories. I've been averaging between 1100-1300, but I'm short and I need to lose probably around 90lbs total. Does that make a difference?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    I've been eating 1350-1450/day since Thanksgiving and it seems very do-able to me. I am short - 5'1" - and 47 years old. I'm assuming if I were younger I'd be able to eat a bit more than this and still lose, but I mean I definitely don't feel like I'm starving or anything.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Six hours, because that's just breakfast and lunch.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    I LIVE on 1340. But I'm old and sedentary. Eat back most of exercise.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    I did 1200 for about three years. Lately I've been aiming for 1300-1400.

I don't find it difficult at all. You can certainly get decent nutrition on that many calories.
  • erryereri
    erryereri Posts: 24 Member
    I maybe accidentally have a day where I eat 1200 calories because either I'm oddly not hungry that day, or if my meals have just been very filling. But that's just every few weeks or so.

I could never purposefully do it consistently.

Typically I eat from 1500-1800 depending on how hungry I am or how active I've been in terms of both exercise and daily activity stuff.

I don't know how people can be on 1200 and say it's fine, that sounds absolutely miserable to me. But hey, everyone's different.
  • rianoel
    rianoel Posts: 22 Member
    I eat ~1200. However, that doesn't include exercise calories. I walk 3-5 miles every day and just started adding in a few blogilates videos every other day. I eat back between .5 and all of my exercise calories---just recently cut back to half, because I lost enough to stop losing on eating all of them. Basically, I exercise to eat more. I've been doing it since November. My health is so much better now. I'm also short, otherwise sedentary, and a 35 year old woman. My actual calories eaten is usually around 1330-1400. I don't sweat it if I go over a little, because it prevents binges. My macros need a ton of work, though...that's my next thing to work on, after adding in the blogilates more regularly.
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    A few days ago, I decided to go from 1375 cals/day (which MFP suggested would get me 1.5 lbs/wk) down to 1200. I have kept to both numbers quite closely and not eaten my exercise calories. So far, I feel strong and am losing at a speed that I feel I can maintain for at least another month. 6 lbs so far in 3 weeks. I am athletic, so if this 1200 begins to impede my performance, I will go back up to 1375. I read your thread because I have been thinking I could stay on 1375 for the rest of my life, as I am not experiencing hunger - at all! So I think you perhaps can be on 1200 for a long time as long as you check in with your body to see how it is going.
  • mrihel6615
    mrihel6615 Posts: 37 Member
    It really depends.
    I'm extremely short (4'10)
    So eating 1200 calories hasn't been an issue for me.
    I've been doing this for going on 8 months now and I'm down 17+ pounds.
    I haven't had any bad side effects, or anything of that sort.
    But I do give myself cheat days once to twice a week and allow myself to eat pretty much what I want within my calorie limit.
    The lowest I go is 1100 calories, when I'm not exercising at all in the day. But I don't do that very often, it usually just ends up happening.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    edited April 2015
    How long can I do this? Is it too much if I restrict for 20 weeks?
    I have less than 30 Pounds to lose (or max. 30)?

I am 40 years old, 5' 4", sedentary and started at 179 lbs with a calorie goal of 1330 about 24 weeks ago. My calorie goal is now 1270. I don't know if I will drop any lower. I usually eat between 1300 to 1500 and exercise about 30 minutes a day.
    It doesn't feel too restrictive to me. I have lost 18 lbs not 30 though in this time period.

If you gave MFP your correct information- or some other calorie calculator- and set a goal of 1 pound a week and it tells you to eat something between 1200 and 1500 then it is probably a reasonable goal for you.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    I lost 20 pounds over about 6 months eating at 1300, I have since gone up to 1500 and am still losing, now at about .25-.5 pounds per week, which is appropriate for me as I am approaching maintenance and I'm not even clear how much more I really want to lose. (5'6", 45 years old)
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    I need to lose about 70 pounds and myfitnesspal has me at just over 1400 (1lb/week level). I'm pretty short and not active (desk job) but still the idea of eating that little for over a year seems... dubious. I'm having trouble managing it so far...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    I'll just chime in... I'll probably be on the title range of calories for life. My goal weight TDEE is quite low thanks to my age and height. Continued exercise to earn more calories to eat is part of my long-range planning for maintenance for sure! (Well, I plan on exercising for other reasons of course, but that's good motivation too.)