Triple Success Story

Options
swinefish
swinefish Posts: 24 Member
Hi all

I've held off on telling my story for a while, because I still have a long way to go before I reach my final goal; however I think this is the time to celebrate what I've done so far this year.

At the start of this year, I weighed myself and was shocked to see the scale read 116kg (255lbs). That is my heaviest weight ever, by far, and I couldn't really believe it. I had already decided at that point that I had to do something, because even before putting a number to it I knew that my weight was badly out of control, and I was on the path to morbid obesity.

So, in preparation for a contest I started shortly after I started counting calories, I took some before photos. The most depressing one was the side photo:
k60ordj5g5od.jpg
(Apologies for sideways photos)

Seeing myself in a photo like that brought everything into focus. I tended to avoid seeing myself in the mirror, and especially with a shirt on it was very easy to pretend things weren't as bad as they were. But seeing that photo, there was no pretending anymore.

I started my calorie counting in earnest on the 5th of January this year (although the above photo was taken on the 9th), as well as joining my university's gym (something I had avoided for many years; I'm not a fan of gyms). I have steadily increased the intensity of my workouts over the course of the last three months, and have made sure to keep my calorie deficit every day. This deficit was originally 1000 calories below maintenance, but that soon became impossible so I changed it to 750 calories below maintenance.

And now, 13 weeks later, I'm down 17kg (37lbs) and below 100kg (220lbs) for the first time in many years. On Saturday I took another set of progress photos, and it is once again the side photo that reveals the most:
wo06lhcounn0.jpg
(Apologies again)

As so many have said on these forums, it is diet above all that leads to the change in weight. My exercise was important, if only to improve my body composition, but what led to the success was the change in diet. And what made that so easy for me was the support of my parents, who are the reason this is called a triple success story:

My parents started counting calories a few weeks after I did, and so far my mom has lost 6.5kg (14lbs) and is now below her original goal weight. My dad has lost 6kg as well, and is fast approaching his goal weight.

I still have 14kg to go for my own goal weight, and I know that my goal physique is far beyond that: once I get there I will still have to change fat for muscle. However being below 100kg after so long overweight is an amazing success, and I felt like this was the ideal time to brag a little.

There have also been a number of NSVs:
I can run. Not only can I run, I enjoy it.
I barely ever get heartburn anymore.
My body fat has finally dropped below the obese range into acceptable.
My knees almost never hurt anymore.
I'm taller! My posture has improved so much that I genuinely look much taller.
Seats at the movies seem so much bigger, which bodes well for my flight to Canada later this year.
I can wear the jeans that I had entirely given up on.
The trousers that didn't fit at the beginning of the year because they were too tight, started fitting and now don't fit again; they're too loose!

One last thing: people often ask about a tipping point. For me it was late last year when I broke my belt. Admittedly, it was an old belt, I was tightening it a little too much, and it did break at the weakest point, but the fact is this: a normal weight healthy person does not break a belt. That was the moment I knew I had to change things. (Worth mentioning: the belt I bought the replace that one is now too big!)

Replies

• p444cod41
    p444cod41 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    U tell a great story and you look fantastic!well done
  • bbandme
    bbandme Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, you can see a huge difference in your pictures, well done :)
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Great job! Such a big difference! My mom also joined mfp after seeing me do it and is now off insulin! Is there any better feeling then knowing we're positively influencing our loved ones lives? I swear im almost more excited for her lol!
    Congrats on your success so far!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    that is incredible. Congrats on this achievement!!
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    congrats :)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Nice work...I think you are right in pausing to reflect on the success you've had thus far. Not only your own, but your parents as well! Congratulations!
  • troyrunner123
    troyrunner123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Outstanding and extremely inspiring!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!