Lifting late at night vs lifting early in the morning

Options
Lifting late at night vs lifting early in the morning...
Any pros/cons? Is one time better?

Replies

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Whichever works best for you. I just started going to the gym again and I like to go late at night because nobody else is there.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Personal preference.

I'm not really a morning person, so the thought of having weights over my head early when I'm half asleep is a bit scary. I lift on my lunch hour.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    What works best with the rest of your life? That's probably the best time for you. For me, that's normally around 9 in the morning. I walk a lot through the day - normal tracked steps are in the neighbourhood of 30,000. Doing squats and deads late at night after all that walking sucks. I'm not any weaker then first thing in the morning, but the perceived effort at any given weight is higher.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I lift in the AM but I have a home gym so I've lifted in the PM.

When I went to a commercial gym, I'd lift in the AM since it wasn't as busy and I wouldn't have to wait for things or deal with people
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I lift in the afternoon when everyone else is at work.
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Ideally I would like to lift at about 11am. But I have a day job and children, so my choice is not what I get. I wake up at 5:30 and lift in my basement. Because it's when it fits my life (sadly).
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I do both because that is what works best for my schedule. MWF I lift before my boxing class and do lower body like squats and deadlifts. Then I get up early on Tu/Thur and hit the gym before work and do upper body lifts. I dread doing lower body work in the AM just because I feel stiff and it takes a while to loosen everything up to get a good depth and movement. Upper body doesn't seem to have that issue so that is one reason I bite the bullet and go in early. Plus, AM means less people so I don't have to work around what equipment is open....it all is.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like. I lift in the AM cuz I'm a morning person. Also less people = less waiting for equipment!
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I do morning lifts on weekends and evening lifts during the work week. It's up to your life style and preference. Lift on, sweets!
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I prefer early morning. I would go at 4:30 in the morning, workout, eat/shower and be in work at 7.

Unfortunately I'm stuck going later now, like around 6-8pm. Don't think there's much of a difference performance-wise for me...even though I work a moderately physical job I still got energy to lift :tongue:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Lifting late at night vs lifting early in the morning...
    Any pros/cons? Is one time better?
    The only drawback I would see lifting at ANY time, is if it's right before you sleep because it may cause sleeplessness. Other than that, there is no perfect time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I'm a sleepy bunny in the morning so I lift at night.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I like to be first in the gym 5am

3296DEC7-9599-4BA0-9AC7-E35449ED2893_zpsjufvxmoy.jpg
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Perfect time to go to the gym is a time that fits into your schedule where you will continue to go.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I tend towards night time for a few reasons. The gym is open 24 hours but is super crowded during several parts of the day and insane around 6pm. I'm not a morning person and don't need to be up early for work as I almost always have closing shifts. I can get myself to go after work whereas when sleepy and just waking up my drive to do things is far less. Rarely have to wait for squat rack or any other equipment, though there are still some people there working out. I go around 11pm since I get done at work at 10:30 and on days I don't have work, if I go lift it's at least around 9 pm, if not later. Only time I do morning is for a 10 am grit strength class, which I haven't been to in over a month, for the rest it's late night.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    I get really hungry when I lift, so I prefer going late morning right before lunch.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I lifted in the morning at 5am for about 3 months straight. No matter how awake i felt, still all my #'s were lower, i just couldn't ever lift as much in the morning as i could later in the day. Same w\weekends, if i go before being awake for a couple hours, my #'s are down.