From personal experience, have you found these factors to prevent weight loss? Feeling stuck!

Options
This is my first post, so hi!

I started dieting 3 weeks ago, there arounds. I started at 13 stone 12lbs and I'm now at 13 stone 8lbs.
I'm 5ft 3" tall, female.

This week has been my most self strict week, last week I came home from uni and had meals like 1 x burger king and 1 x southern fried chicken - although I didn't snack around them like I usually would, I know these are grossly high in calories. So this week I made sure I was good. In the week I've seen a 1lb change. Whilst I am happy to see a change, I'm 'concerned' that more isn't coming off. I'm motivated to making it work this time and eager to see a change. I'm also aware that it really hasn't been very long to start worrying if it is or isn't working (it is to some degree, as I've lost 4lbs).

However, I'm just wondering if there are things I'm doing which is making my body want to hold onto the weight. For example, the biggest thing I can think of is my dodgy sleep pattern, I sleep late, get up later but still feel tired - i wake up throughout the night a lot too. I also go to university and live with noisy people, so I tend to sleep erratically there. Because of this, I don't eat breakfast (meaning the past week, I tend to just have lunch and dinner, then a smoothie or two to fill a hole).

I also haven't weighed myself at the same time each time, so I suppose my weight could be inaccurate?

I have started exercise, 20-30 mins a day.

As I said, I am aware it hasn't been very long, I just want to be doing everything I can to help myself.

Too long? My question basically is, do you find poor sleep/not eating cereal has a bad effect on your weight loss? or does it not really matter?

Thanks for reading :smiley:

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    You've lost 4lbs in three weeks. Nothing is wrong, you are not stuck. Your body isn't holding onto the weight.

Try to weigh yourself at the same time each day. First thing is best.

Calories affect weight loss. Not not eating/eating cereal or sleep issues.

Stop worrying. You're doing fine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Eating in a caloric surplus hinders weight loss...
  • lydiakitten
    lydiakitten Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sleeping well certainly does help your body be healthy, and for that reason alone, you should make sure you get the rest you need, especially if you have started exercising.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    You've lose 4 lbs in 3 weeks. Your body is not "holding on" to weight.

You may not have an accurate weigh-in if you're not weighing yourself at the same time every day. My weight can fluctuate up to 6-8 lbs in one day, depending on whether I've used the rest room, consumed water, food, etc.

Whether you eat breakfast or not only impacts your weight loss if you're ravenous later in the day and go over on your calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is fantastic. You didn't gain it that quickly, why would it come off that way?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep slows down my weight loss in that it makes me want to sleep instead of work out. I went to bed at 1:15 this morning and didn't get up for my 5:30 workout, for example. It's more of a behavioral side effect of little sleep rather than a physiological one.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What is your weight loss goal?
    Losing 1 lb a week is a pretty reasonable goal and great progress.
    Losing more than 2 pounds a week is pretty agressive and not very reasonable for most people.

Poor sleep can have something of an impact on eating for me. I tend to eat more to try to feel better. If I sleep enough it is easier to stick to my goal.
    I have a white noise machine and it helps. Maybe you could try one or run a fan or something to help you sleep better.

It doesn't matter what time you eat or what food you eat as long as you stick to your calorie limit. You will likely feel better and more satisfied if you choose foods that are more nutritious and get adequate protein, fiber and fats.

• stickingwithit48
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the advice.

I'd like to be around 9 stone 13 (just to be into the 9stones really). Mostly, I'm just wanting to look and feel healthier. So it isn't wholly about a goal weight, just a size I could be confident with.

& true, I think I'm just so eager to see a change :D. I've been reading a lot on the internet about what's helpful, what's not helpful with dieting - so I thought I'd check on here as I find it good to actually hear it from real people.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm 5'3 too.
    However, I'm just wondering if there are things I'm doing which is making my body want to hold onto the weight.

Bodies don't really work like that, but there are some things that can make it harder or easier. (It sounds like you are doing fine, though, don't stress.)
    For example, the biggest thing I can think of is my dodgy sleep pattern, I sleep late, get up later but still feel tired - i wake up throughout the night a lot too. I also go to university and live with noisy people, so I tend to sleep erratically there. Because of this, I don't eat breakfast (meaning the past week, I tend to just have lunch and dinner, then a smoothie or two to fill a hole).

Lack of sleep can make it harder, lots of times because it makes it harder to eat well. Many people (including me) tend to confuse being tired and being hungry, as eating will often wake you up for a bit. If you can try to work on this it will probably help, but I understand why that might be difficult.

Not eating breakfast can be harder for some people, as it will cause them to eat more during the day, but others find it helpful not to eat until they get hungry, so I wouldn't worry about this if you seem to be doing okay.
    I also haven't weighed myself at the same time each time, so I suppose my weight could be inaccurate?

This is probably the key. Your weight is going to fluctuate some and definitely throughout the day. If I weigh myself at night after eating I'll weigh a few lbs more than in the morning.
    I have started exercise, 20-30 mins a day.

Great positive step!