Training for a 10K

Options
Hey everyone! I'm training for my first 10K and am just one week into my training program. I am doing the Bellin Run in Green Bay (WI) on June 13 and am just wondering if anyone else is somewhat of a beginner training for a race like this?? I've run 3 different 5Ks before but this is moving into uncharted territory.. I've never run this distance before. I'm following the 12-week training program for the race - if you want to check it out it's at bellinrun.com/training. It's very beginner - which is good for me since I didn't run for awhile after my last 5K and feel like I'm starting over again.

Anyway, I would just really love to have some support if anyone is training for something similar...it doesn't have to be a 10K. My schedule is ridiculous between my two jobs and I'm still trying to figure out what time of day is best for me to work out - it's dark before my first job and after my second, so I've been training on the treadmill and trying to make the best of it (I'd SO rather run outside)!! Hit me up if you're interested in just being a support or are looking for someone to support you! :smiley:

Thanks!

Stephanie

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    My brother asked me to join his Ragnar Relay team for a race in February. I haven't run on pavement in quite some time, so I'm starting a training program now and will gradually build up mileage. Being outdoors really does make a difference, so you should look to mix in some.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at the training plan on their website, and it looks pretty good (and almost the same as the Hal Higdon beginning plan, and his site is always my go-to for training plan models: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program). My only advice would to make sure that at least the long runs are run outside, as the race will be outside. If you have to do the rest on your treadmill, so be it. Work scheduling can be tough.

Good luck with training! Feel free to friend me! Though I'm not a 10k-er, I train for marathons and so I'm always running!
  • sjkraus
    sjkraus Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you to you both! I am going to try running earlier in the morning and maybe I can get some more outdoor miles in. I don't know why I'm so freaked out in the dark haha... may just need to get over it! :)
  • itsmeGennie
    itsmeGennie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm also training for a 10K using the link that @kristinegift posted. Feel free to hit me up - this is also my first time.