exercise gentle on knees

Options
What exercises I can do at homes rather than paying gym fees not swimming as I can't swim. That are gentle on knees but will aid a cardio workout and tone x

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with your knees?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    There are at least four videos here on MFP in their blogs, go to this page: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ and the type in knee in the search box at the top, it will give you a list of blogs with videos to view.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Tai Chi. You'll strengthen your legs and moving around will burn calories. If you don't cheat when training by straightening the legs, then you will definitely feel like you've had a good leg workout. It's basically ultra slow lunges for an hour. :D
  • amylbreau
    Options
    My problem is I have degenerative joint disease in my knees, hips, back, neck, and ankles. I have a hard time with all the cardio stuff too. I'm trying to lose weight as I have had one knee replaced and the other is bone on bone and needs to be replaced. The orthopedist won't do the surgery until I lose weight but that's so hard without being able to do a lot of cardio. HELP!!!!! I'm so frustrated!!!!
  • lahurrah
    lahurrah Posts: 9
    Options
    What about walking? Start with a short distance and slowly increase? Maybe incorporate upper body movements too? Also, weight lifting is great for helping with weight loss, and there are a lot of free weights that you can use at home that don't affect the knees. Also, body weight exercises are great too. I have degenerative disease in my back and neck and bad knees as well. Likely, not as bad as you... but I do understand the frustrations. Good luck!! one step at a time!
  • HillOE
    HillOE Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Agree with lahurrah, walking works, unless you're at the point where the bone on bone hurts with walking as well as the impact sports. I have/had the bone on bone issue, myself, and I can walk, but can't run and I can also bike because it's no impact on my knee.

You don't need to know how to swim to use the pool. Aqua jogging is no impact, and if you're not comfortable with not being able to touch the bottom, just stay in the low end and make sure the majority of your body is under water for buoyance. Pools in my city offer the use of their float belts (I don't know what they are really called) so people wear them to aqua jog in the pools, there is usually a dedicated lane for people to jog. They also offer aquacise classes (aerobics in the pool, all at the low end) simply kicking on the side of the pool will work too, unless that is uncomfortable for your knee. It's not super sexy aerobic workouts at the gym, but it's better than nothing.

You don't belong to a gym, do you go to PT? I'd ask them. I remember on The Biggest Loser a few people had knee issues at one point or another and they did arm exercises (like a bike, but your arms do the work).

good luck.