Soreness and resting?

Options
So, I'm still sore from my ab workout saturday..is that normal? Also, is it okay to do more ab work, or should I wait until I'm not sore anymore? I really don't know! D:

Replies

• infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It's normal. Sometimes the soreness doesn't even show itself until the second day after the workout. That's what usually happens to me.
  • erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Its fi to work tired muscles, just don't over work them. If it hurts to move, you over worked.
  • mattiexox
    mattiexox Posts: 42
    Options
    It's normal. Sometimes the soreness doesn't even show itself until the second day after the workout. That's what usually happens to me.

Yeah, me too :/ Do you think it's okay to do more ab work or should I wait? I don't want to mess up muscle growth
  • mattiexox
    Options
    Its fi to work tired muscles, just don't over work them. If it hurts to move, you over worked.

Well, it definitely hurts to move. That's really helpful! Thanks. I guess I'll just sit out for a day or two :( haha.
  • SMorris317
    SMorris317 Posts: 12
    Options
    Drink alot of water and eat bananas, is what I was told after I did a hard worked out with trainer. Helps recover sore muscles. If it's that sore, wait another day (can do every other day). As long as weights aren't used you can do abs every day. If you use weights, do every other day.
  • ridiculyss
    ridiculyss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness. aka DOMS. Yep it's perfectly normal.
    DOMS happens because when you work out, it results in microscopic tearing in muscle fibers. The pain usually shows up about 24-48 hours after you exercise. It's not related to lactic acid buildup. The pain can be made worse through "eccentric" muscle contraction, which is for example, if you're lifting a dumbell (like in bicep curls), eccentric contraction occurs when you lower the dumbell, rather than when you lift it. Another example is when you stand up from a squat, rather than go down into one. It's the lengthening of the activated muscle.

Some possible ways to reduce the pain is by taking anti-inflammatory or using ice. Light exercise overall seems to be best for it though.
    Overall, yes you can continue exercising, just be careful not to overdo it.

(the above info I have stored from my health class notes, but I found similar information here http://www.musclepowershop.com/2008/04/muscle-soreness-eccentric-contraction.html ;)

Hope this helps! :)
  • mattiexox
    Options
    Drink alot of water and eat bananas, is what I was told after I did a hard worked out with trainer. Helps recover sore muscles. If it's that sore, wait another day (can do every other day). As long as weights aren't used you can do abs every day. If you use weights, do every other day.

That helped a lot! Considering I took sunday off and did legs today, I think I'll hit abs again tomorrow :) The soreness is finally wearing off, yay! I didn't know that about the weights - I'll definitely remember that. thanks for your help!
  • mattiexox
    Options
    DOMS happens because when you work out, it results in microscopic tearing in muscle fibers. The pain usually shows up about 24-48 hours after you exercise. It's not related to lactic acid buildup. The pain can be made worse through "eccentric" muscle contraction, which is for example, if you're lifting a dumbell (like in bicep curls), eccentric contraction occurs when you lower the dumbell, rather than when you lift it. Another example is when you stand up from a squat, rather than go down into one. It's the lengthening of the activated muscle.

Some possible ways to reduce the pain is by taking anti-inflammatory or using ice. Light exercise overall seems to be best for it though.

(the above info I have stored from my health class notes, but I found similar information here http://www.musclepowershop.com/2008/04/muscle-soreness-eccentric-contraction.html ;)

That was incredibly helpful! Thanks a lot! :)
  • ridiculyss
    Options

Awesome!! I'm glad I could help you! :D You're very welcome :)
  • annastacia10
    annastacia10 Posts: 106
    Options

Thanks helped me too as I am still sore from a workout on Saturday so I concentrated today on those areas I didn't make sore on Saturday.
  • ridiculyss
    Options

Thanks helped me too as I am still sore from a workout on Saturday so I concentrated today on those areas I didn't make sore on Saturday.

Yay! Glad I could help!! :)