Mothers,,, how can u handle that??

Options
Hi,,
I need to workout but,, My child (14 months old) uses to force me to stop bcoz he sticks with me like my shadow. :(
what im got to do about that??
moms... tell me ur stories.

Replies

• justjack18
    justjack18 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I either work out when he's sleeping or have my husband watch it. I only do 30 minutes a day.
  • momma2ZKL
    momma2ZKL Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I get out of the car and run as soon as I get home so my baby hasn't seen me yet and doesn't cry. I change at work. Or I walk out the door when her back is turned. Anything to not hear her cry!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain. My gym has a daycare but he cried the whole time and even escaped once. Sadly I used the no daycare reason for an excuse not to workout for a long time.
    Now I wake up early and workout. My husband is very supportive, I think that's key to my success, he will start getting my son ready for the day until I get back. We both work full time but we make it a joint effort now to get to the gym and eat right. We both do the food shopping. He cleans and cuts veggies and I get out salads and food containers ready for the week. I'm -45lbs and he is -27lbs since June.
  • iiasok6
    iiasok6 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

I can completely relate. I have to 20 month old and a 8 month old that are glued to me. It is tough to work out with them around. What I do is try to either 1 workout when they are sleeping or 2 put cartoons on for the 20 month old and workout in the same room. She can still see me but is usually to distracted by Disney to interrupt too often. 3 I work out with them. I make a game out of it with them if I'm doing squats I get her to try and do it to. Usually she just stomps around or jumps in place. It kind of funny and keeps her entertained. Or 4 work out with him. Put him in a stroller and take a walk. Lay on your back with legs bent on your chest and put him on your legs and do some reverse crunches. Use him as a weight and toss him in the air for an arm work out. Or hold him and do squats or lunges. For some added weight. Just a few ideas. These are some stuff that works for me.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    For many years when my son was young, I also worked out in the morning before he woke (or while he snuggled with husband). Good luck!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Strength training. Use him as a weight. I put my kids in laundry baskets and used them as weights. They laughed and had a great time. We also silly danced to Elmo and other Sesame Street videos. Either way try to fit him into at least some of your workouts. It is a great example to set.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Pack 'n play? Stick him in there with a pile of toys and books, make sure you are still in view, and then exercise.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids (ages 3 months, 2, 4, and 6). I work out during naptime and have the older ones watch a TV show. Occasionally the older ones will work out with me or play while I work out. Sometimes the baby is awake and will sit in his swing and watch me, but other times he is fussy and doesn't want me to put him down. On those days, I wear him in a baby carrier and modify work-outs. I also tried the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos on youtube and did those while wearing baby and that worked pretty well too. I find ways to make it work at least 5 days a week.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Throw your child into a jogging stroller and go. Kids love being outside, and are usually as good as gold while you walk/jog. If its too hot, try to go an hour before sundown or early in the AM.
  • 2014saram
    2014saram Posts: 7
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think most kids are hip-ornaments while they are under 2. Like the others, I work out when baby is sleeping or when hubby is cuddling while they are little. (He often shows up saying, "I have walked him as long as I could. He wants you.") After they reach 9 months or so, you can guilt-free leave them with a bottle, a friend or family member, and just go workout out of the house. I leave him with hubby and go to a class. The short time apart makes me a better mom and wife. My hubby sees the difference and pushes me out the door. I also totally support letting them watch Sesame Street or whatever when they reach the age to learn from it while I am working out.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My story is that my child was really just an excuse for 15 years to not exercise/lose weight. If it had been a priority to exercise I would have found a way. I may not have been able to work out for an hour or go to a gym when she was little but I could have done something for at least 15 minutes.
    Dd is 15 years old now. I am losing weight by sticking to my calorie limit and exercising about 30 minutes a day. I do you tube workouts, exercise dvds, walk or dance around. I exercise with dd sometimes. I exercise when she is sleeping or busy with other things. It is important to me so I do it.

You might try walking with your baby inside your house or outside. Walking is good exercise and you can do it any time.
    They make baby and me type workout videos or classes. Give one of those a try.
    Do short workouts while your baby is sleeping. There are a lot of 15-30 minute workouts on you tube.
    Park her in swing, in front of a video, in a playpen and do a short workout.
    Turn on some music and dance with your baby.
    Get a grandparent, your spouse or a babysitter to watch the baby so you can exercise.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    My little guy 20 months goes to bed at 7 so plenty of time to workout. Even 20 minutes helps. If its nice we go for a walk
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids (ages 3 months, 2, 4, and 6). I work out during naptime and have the older ones watch a TV show. Occasionally the older ones will work out with me or play while I work out. Sometimes the baby is awake and will sit in his swing and watch me, but other times he is fussy and doesn't want me to put him down. On those days, I wear him in a baby carrier and modify work-outs. I also tried the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos on youtube and did those while wearing baby and that worked pretty well too. I find ways to make it work at least 5 days a week.

Wow you are amazing!! 4 kids and working out 5 days a week. You are a great role model for your kids.

It's so hard to not feel guilt for taking some time for ourselves to workout or do anything.
    I have been so much happier... at work, as a mom and a wife. Because I am taking time for myself and 2x a month I get either; a massage, nails or hair done. I feel like I'm able to give more of myself when I am taking care of myself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Walking is good exercise. A good jogging stroller is a plus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old and 4 year old and I go to the gym once they are asleep (hubby is home). This way I get my "me" time and can truly feel good during my exercise.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    My running habit began after my first-born. 20 years later, I am still running.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I involved my kids at my gym they got their black belts in taikwondo there and learned to be competetive swimmers there. before those later years...they would go in for movie nights and summer camp days...anything to keep them in the environment The crying ends when they realize they have to be there.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    First of all, it gets easier as they get older. At 14mo I had to put my son in his crib or playpen to workout. He screamed his indignation for the first two weeks, for the entire hour, and then he finally gave up getting out before I was done and was perfectly happy. I would spend about an hour doing things that cued we were about to do mommy's workout beforehand, and he was on board and ready for it. At almost 2 now, I usually just make sure he has water and snacks and can easily work around him. Every once in a while I put him in his room because he isn't on board (we have a 4ft babygate in his doorway because Mr. Ninja is very accomplished at climbing everything and has outgrown the crib, so this way he is safe and not underfoot). He has always enjoyed the gym daycare, but I prefer to workout at home.
  • maymoona11
    maymoona11 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thank you Moms for your nice stories and benefits... Wish you joyful workout times :)
  • sengalissa
    sengalissa Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    maymoona11 wrote: »
    Hi,,
    I need to workout but,, My child (14 months old) uses to force me to stop bcoz he sticks with me like my shadow. :(
    what im got to do about that??
    moms... tell me ur stories.

I have 5 kids, and they were all glued to me at that age. Getting up early did the trick for me. My youngest just turned 2 and is still glued to me. There was/is no escape besides early morning - and even that does not work when she is sick (like now).
    It is hard but don't use it as an excuse! Find a way!!