60 BMI, looking for weight loss before surgery & for support

Options
Hi, I'm 28 years old from upstate NY. I have a wonderful fiance who I live with along with 2 rescue cats and a betta fish. I have a kicking personality, a sweet disposition, but I have one downfall - I'm addicted to food. I have a 60 body mass index and I'm sedentary as I am confined to wheelchair at around 400 lbs. I binge at night, and have for about a decade now...

I'm not saying this sarcastically at all... but I really don't know with my addictive personality how to stop. I got off of drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. and my addiction has now switched to food. I feel so bad when people don't see the real me inside of myself. I'm a very intelligent, kind, and hard working person who loves to be independent but can't be due to extreme morbid obesity. I also had scoliosis and have back rods - meaning because of my weight I could die... not to be too dramatic about, just being real.

I have had some success with other programs but I'd love to use myfitnesspal in conjunction with eating disorder doctors, overeaters anonymous (OA, a 12 step program), and the weight loss surgery I intend to have in about a year, once the eating disorder is under control. What I like about this site is that it's always here, anytime of day or night, and I hope to find friends on here for support, thank you for reading my little intro :blush:

Replies

• kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Now's the time to become addicted to loving yourself and respecting your body! I'm 60 and I lost 90 pounds in a year and a half. You have to want this in order for it to work...I mean really want it!. Who know, once you develop some healthy habits you may rethink the surgery. You'll be surprised at what can happen with determination and dedication. Add me if you like. I would love to see you succeed! !!!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Once you get started, it will get easier as you see what works. Eat less, move more. Can you wheel yourself around the block in your wheelchair? Don't be embarrassed. Let others see your determination and good will and the great majority will respond in kind. You can make lots of friends here, but it also helps to have support around you in your daily life, as well. Is your fiance supportive of your weight loss goals? Supportive enough to not buy the foods that tempt you to binge? Does he have to healthy relationship with food? Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am very lucky to have avoided food addiction. I don't have a lot of wise words to say, other than I believe you are a beautiful person with a lot to offer.

Would it help to have some distractions handy, like knitting or crocheting?
  • tonihunter945
    tonihunter945 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 28 years old from upstate NY. I have a wonderful fiance who I live with along with 2 rescue cats and a betta fish. I have a kicking personality, a sweet disposition, but I have one downfall - I'm addicted to food. I have a 60 body mass index and I'm sedentary as I am confined to wheelchair at around 400 lbs. I binge at night, and have for about a decade now...

I'm not saying this sarcastically at all... but I really don't know with my addictive personality how to stop. I got off of drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. and my addiction has now switched to food. I feel so bad when people don't see the real me inside of myself. I'm a very intelligent, kind, and hard working person who loves to be independent but can't be due to extreme morbid obesity. I also had scoliosis and have back rods - meaning because of my weight I could die... not to be too dramatic about, just being real.

I have had some success with other programs but I'd love to use myfitnesspal in conjunction with eating disorder doctors, overeaters anonymous (OA, a 12 step program), and the weight loss surgery I intend to have in about a year, once the eating disorder is under control. What I like about this site is that it's always here, anytime of day or night, and I hope to find friends on here for support, thank you for reading my little intro :blush:

I'm here for you!!
  • tonihunter945
    tonihunter945 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    kjurassic wrote: »
    Now's the time to become addicted to loving yourself and respecting your body! I'm 60 and I lost 90 pounds in a year and a half. You have to want this in order for it to work...I mean really want it!. Who know, once you develop some healthy habits you may rethink the surgery. You'll be surprised at what can happen with determination and dedication. Add me if you like. I would love to see you succeed! !!!

I agree!
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice for you but wanted to send you BIG HUGS for being brave and wanting better for yourself!! I hope you are able to get things under control and you live a long and happy life!
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck on your journey. <3 The good thing is that making healthy lifestyle changes can become an addiction too, a good one!
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    As wise folks say: The first step to solving a problem is to identify it...I think you have done a great job of outlining the issue. The positive steps you are taking are most assuredly in the right direction.

MFP and all the wise and wonderful people using it are a great support network.

When I started, I was also pretty sedentary and logging food and indulging in the support of all my MFP friends gave me a great start. I am now back for round 2 and in for the win! I will stand in support of you and I applaud you for your dedication and resolve! GO YOU!!

Would like to be your friend and encourager, as I know you will get as much out of it as you put in!! Congrats on your first step to a new you!!
  • amdouthitt
    amdouthitt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for wanting to become a better you! I agree with alot of the previous posts. You need to become addicted in yourself. In seeing yourself succeed. In working towards a better tomorrow. I'm a week in and I will never go back. I've already begun to figure out what works for me and what doesn't. Add me if you'd like. I hope you succeed in all you set out to do. Keep up the motivation!!
  • shballa
    shballa Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I started at BMI 56, so I know where you are coming from. I am now around BMI 44. Trust me - once you start losing weight, you will fee SO much better. Just don't forget how you feel now. That will be your motivating factor when you want to binge. You will never want to get back to this place again.
  • skinnyby31
    skinnyby31 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Best of luck on your journey. The first few days are the hardest. You're lucky to have a supportive fiancé as if you're like me having the support helps.
  • georgeous66
    georgeous66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    It is the first few days that are the hardest! I'm 12 days in and can't wait to tackle the garden salad I made for dinner tonight! Feel free to add me...we can always use more friends and support! ;)
  • camsthebrave
    camsthebrave Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm overwhelmed by so many kind words, and supportive posts. Thank you so much, I'm literally so touched, almost kinda wiping away a good tear right now (I'm emotional sometimes lol...)

I totally agree with the above posters and while I haven't quite figured how to add friends (yet) I would love to friend all of you who'd like to be added. Thank you so much for all your shows of support, I really do appreciate them.

My doctors have told me that if I have good support network I will be more likely to succeed, by having people help me along the way, since one reason I binge eat is due to low self esteem, isolation, and loneliness to be honest, more than any other emotions (like boredom etc.). So this forum might just be what the doctor ordered.

I'm an emotional overeater, which means I eat my emotions instead of deal with them. A very ingrained and very unhealthy coping skill to intense negative emotions. I also have complex PTSD due to a not so good childhood.

I know the problem, as you've said above, trying to work toward a solution and I love the ones you've given here! I want to be one of those people who are "addicted to being healthy" that is like my ultimate dream to be honest :smile: . Thank you so much for your positive feedback.
  • camsthebrave
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Once you get started, it will get easier as you see what works. Eat less, move more. Can you wheel yourself around the block in your wheelchair? Don't be embarrassed. Let others see your determination and good will and the great majority will respond in kind. You can make lots of friends here, but it also helps to have support around you in your daily life, as well. Is your fiance supportive of your weight loss goals? Supportive enough to not buy the foods that tempt you to binge? Does he have to healthy relationship with food? Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend.

I can do some Physical Therapy with my condition, I can walk maybe 50 feet at one time without stopping (with walker/wheelchair behind just in case). I can walk 200 feet in one workout. I live on a busy route in a semi rural area however I'm thinking of walking with my walker and wheelchair behind me in the large driveway of my apartment complex once the weather gets nice. I always have loved the outdoors. I walk a little every day, and today I went swimming in the rehab. So fun, even if it is freezing up here.

My fiance is about 420 lbs at 6 ft tall. He is starting to be very supportive in this, he is a binge eater too - but not as bad as I am but somewhat COE. He has more control but still sometimes slips up. He is doing DDP yoga though soon (which tracks food and exercise as well), he wants to get healthier too - and as he knows I'm serious about this (and have started the weight loss VSG surgery process) - so happy we can get healthy together. It was very difficult with just one of us trying to be healthy, now we're on the same page :smile:

Thank you so much for your positive comments - I added you I believe (still trying to figure out that feature lol).

• camsthebrave
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am very lucky to have avoided food addiction. I don't have a lot of wise words to say, other than I believe you are a beautiful person with a lot to offer.

Would it help to have some distractions handy, like knitting or crocheting?

I think that would be a great idea, I just have no idea where to start - how does one start knitting or crocheting if they're home bound and never have knitted / crocheted before? A book or dvd maybe? Do they sell kits? Thank you for the suggestion and such kind remarks :blush: .
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Might I suggest the Chronic Disease Self Management Program licensed by Stanford. It is offered in your neighbourhood by the Eastern Adirondack Health Care Network . I took this program and it was very helpful in how I might tackle weight loss differently.

I'm thinking you need some new safe outlets to express that load of emotion you have been carrying.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    There are some great youtube videos on how to start knitting or crocheting. Might I suggest a granny square? If you can make one granny square you can make an afghan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_5nIpXg8OM
  • camsthebrave
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Might I suggest the Chronic Disease Self Management Program licensed by Stanford. It is offered in your neighbourhood by the Eastern Adirondack Health Care Network . I took this program and it was very helpful in how I might tackle weight loss differently.

I'm thinking you need some new safe outlets to express that load of emotion you have been carrying.

I agree about safe outlets totally -

Interesting... I never heard of that specific program, but I'll look into thank you - and I love the youtube link thanks!

:)